Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10806 10807 [10808] 10809 10810 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14571990 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162105 on: March 11, 2023, 01:18:53 pm »

The problem with age old arguments is they lack context, of which you are being ignorant, intentionally or otherwise.

Insulting other users is unlikely to engender discussion, too. Ironic given your positions, don’t you think?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162106 on: March 11, 2023, 01:49:11 pm »

Too much ?  :P 

I admit i am not subtle, but overall I am just pushing using age old arguments and projecting their behaviors on their opponents.
I am as subtle as a brick to the face, and even I can acknowledge when it's not warranted. Grow the fuck up.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162107 on: March 11, 2023, 01:50:26 pm »

Cancel jipehog!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162108 on: March 11, 2023, 01:52:54 pm »

Eh there's nothing "age old" about it.  It's just taking a lazy caricature of "teh liberals", swapping some words around, and regurgitating it to "own" them for supposed hypocrisy.  All it does is reveal a cartoonishly superficial worldview.

I will say that what happened to Lindsay Ellis and what ISN'T happening to Michael Knowles and every other right-winger sobbing about cancel-culture does make me pessimistic about society.  The thing about the marketplace of ideas is that money is paramount in a marketplace (and these ideas STILL lose... until they don't, and they only need to win once to burn down the marketplace).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162109 on: March 11, 2023, 03:14:01 pm »

The problem with age old arguments is they lack context

What were my argument and how do they lack context?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162110 on: March 11, 2023, 03:16:26 pm »

I find it troubling that there’s a tendency for people the world over to hyperbolize efforts to discourage certain behaviors as also being an effort to kill those that practice such behaviors.

Often opponents of an idea really are just opposed to the idea and don’t want to eliminate people. Is this the core of radicalization, where people stretch a philosophical threat into an existential one?

The problem (in one direction) is when it's an immutable aspect of one's self. E.g., legally banning "black ideology" has the definite implication of somehow destroying black people's identity.

In the context of what we are talking, that like saying that vigilantism is good because it dealt with insert example that affected you personally.
Yes. Yes it is. The authorities are doing jack shit so it's the only way unfortunately. It is too late to solve anything diplomatically in America or Russia.

I am glad. Engaging with people can take a lot of time, its much better to have certainty in the superiority of your beliefs and conviction these should be impressed onto others. Better 100 innocent persons should suffer witch hunts online than that one guilty person that annoy us should go free. And did you see the storming of the Capitol, how the hell these sneaky bastards managed to get ahead of us! Look at Putin, now here is person who understand how to solve things.

There may be a misunderstanding of what each means by "vigilantism." Summarily killing small fry political opponents is not really productive or justifiable. Civil disobedience or self-defense often is very productive.

There is a definite problem if every person is 100% convicted in their beliefs and is willing to go to any lengths whatsoever to achieve them. Then you get something like the Cultural Revolution. The antidote is diligence with ideas and lenience with people.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162111 on: March 11, 2023, 03:24:18 pm »

The problem with age old arguments is they lack context

What were my argument and how do they lack context?

In the context of what we are talking, that like saying that vigilantism is good because it dealt with insert example that affected you personally.
Yes. Yes it is. The authorities are doing jack shit so it's the only way unfortunately. It is too late to solve anything diplomatically in America or Russia.

I am glad. Engaging with people can take a lot of time, its much better to have certainty in the superiority of your beliefs and conviction these should be impressed onto others. Better 100 innocent persons should suffer witch hunts online than that one guilty person that annoy us should go free. And did you see the storming of the Capitol, how the hell these sneaky bastards managed to get ahead of us! Look at Putin, now here is person who understand how to solve things.

You are arguing for civil discourse here, in an uncivil way.

You ignore that in America and Russia the state(s in America) are legislating that LGBTQ people are basically not allowed to exist and that if parents allow their kids to actually identify and make progress toward physically manifesting a trans identity, the kids will be taken away and the parents arrested for child abuse.

In what capacity can someone from an LGBTQ group open discussion with a group that thinks they don’t/shouldn’t exist and expect any sort of respect?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162112 on: March 11, 2023, 03:33:47 pm »

Hey what's the deal with youtubers, instead of the usual TV censor beep, find the most obnoxious jarring sound imaginable and then swear like 8 times so you hear the censor sound that's louder than the rest of the video over n over again.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162113 on: March 11, 2023, 03:49:45 pm »

Presumably someone or another claimed that encouraged engagement? I'unno, I don't think I've encountered that behavior yet, heh.

... if you're asking why they're bothering to censor at all, something about yt's monetization changed fairly recently, with the wrong sort of vulgarity getting videos demonetized, so. There's your answer there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162114 on: March 11, 2023, 04:21:45 pm »

Hey what's the deal with youtubers, instead of the usual TV censor beep, find the most obnoxious jarring sound imaginable and then swear like 8 times so you hear the censor sound that's louder than the rest of the video over n over again.

I heard that the beeps are detected which leads to the video being penalized for swearing (even if under censor).

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162115 on: March 11, 2023, 04:53:44 pm »

I know RTGame recently started using 'Youtube' as his censor sound for when he swears after the recent policy change (which has since been walked back) resulted in a lot of his older content being demonetised, essentially as a slightly spiteful joke. Presumably other Youtubers have gone through similar experiences.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162116 on: March 11, 2023, 06:26:00 pm »

Am I?

Was Descartes correct?

EDIT: This may be ethanol-provoked.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162117 on: March 11, 2023, 06:29:30 pm »

Am I?

Was Descartes correct?

And what if he was?  cmon, while youre still on this
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162118 on: March 11, 2023, 07:09:23 pm »

Am I?

Was Descartes correct?

No, you're not. Turns out you never existed, you're just a collective hallucination by the rest of humanity.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #162119 on: March 11, 2023, 07:16:02 pm »

Or collective humanity is a hallucination by you.

We're still working it out.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10806 10807 [10808] 10809 10810 ... 11040