Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10805 10806 [10807] 10808 10809 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572532 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162090 on: March 11, 2023, 04:51:18 am »

In the context of what we are talking, that like saying that vigilantism is good because it dealt with insert example that affected you personally.
Yes. Yes it is. The authorities are doing jack shit so it's the only way unfortunately. It is too late to solve anything diplomatically in America or Russia.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162091 on: March 11, 2023, 05:35:37 am »

I sometimes wonder what would happen if you somehow hooked up with martinuzz. Would your children grow up to be, like, really angry.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162092 on: March 11, 2023, 06:46:05 am »

Nah martinuzz gets indignate very much along the lines of our geopolitical alliance, I don't think that's the same as flirting with violence.

Something like violence bad but necessary if ratified, can only be carried out by sanctioned agents.
vs
What you're going to wait for help from them?! Help yourself or you will be lost.
let

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162093 on: March 11, 2023, 07:06:03 am »

I'd prefer if they could be reasoned with of course, but I kinda lost hope at this point. And I'm no longer really wanting to kill them. But people must, at the very least, protest more.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162094 on: March 11, 2023, 07:46:25 am »

I find it troubling that there’s a tendency for people the world over to hyperbolize efforts to discourage certain behaviors as also being an effort to kill those that practice such behaviors.

Often opponents of an idea really are just opposed to the idea and don’t want to eliminate people. Is this the core of radicalization, where people stretch a philosophical threat into an existential one?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162095 on: March 11, 2023, 08:01:23 am »

I think it's inertia from when I was actually murderous.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162096 on: March 11, 2023, 08:23:41 am »

Often opponents of an idea really are just opposed to the idea and don’t want to eliminate people. Is this the core of radicalization, where people stretch a philosophical threat into an existential one?
I mean, it's because people aren't idiots and are capable of pattern recognition. The anti-abortion crowd is entirely happy to walk alongside murderous terrorists, the transphobes are entirely willing to see trans folk dead, crippled, and generally immiserated, there was a bloody coup attempt just a couple years ago, so on and so forth. This is not just a philosophical threat. Just because the fuckers are doing the antisemite dance where they say shit just to say shit doesn't mean the rest of us have to buy it.

There's legislation trying to get passed in florida right now that would make it legal to fucking kidnap children on the suspicion of their custodial parent being okay with gender nonconforming behavior. There's legislation that's passed in other states that functionally ban trans folk from being in any public space, and worse trying to get through. We're not goddamn blind, mate. These folks aren't just opposed to an idea, they want to see a portion of our population outright destroyed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162097 on: March 11, 2023, 09:17:21 am »

Sorry I guess my point is getting lost - I'm pondering the concept of "if it's OK to 'outlaw' some ideas, like 'slavery is ok', or 'white supremacy is bad' - even though those things can be entrenched in and even define a culture - what are the factors that make that type of cultural extermination acceptable and even desirable, versus things like saying other types of ideas should be kept."

That is, it's not the simple of act of "destroying" a culture or political view that is "evil", it's the type of culture being destroyed that makes it "evil."

Then it gets down to - is it possible to have an objective (not sentimental) criteria for evaluating, say, laws like those to which you are referring.  I mean I feel like you that they are terrible laws - but is it just my feeling? Or is there something fundamental that this is based on? I mean it's not laws of physics.  Does it really all boil down to pragmatism? Or is there something more, stemming from the religious for example?

Basically I'm not taking it for granted that my view is correct.

And as much as I like to ponder these things...at the end of the day does it really matter, or really is it just "hey you know what, this person here is feeling threatened (even if I don't like their political views or lifestyle or favorite sports team or brand of car they drive), I can do something about, so I should do something about it."
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162098 on: March 11, 2023, 09:25:39 am »

I still don't really buy the slippery slope argument tbh.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162099 on: March 11, 2023, 09:49:38 am »

Then it gets down to - is it possible to have an objective (not sentimental) criteria for evaluating, say, laws like those to which you are referring.  I mean I feel like you that they are terrible laws - but is it just my feeling? Or is there something fundamental that this is based on? I mean it's not laws of physics.  Does it really all boil down to pragmatism? Or is there something more, stemming from the religious for example?
There is no objective basis for laws at all, at their most basic laws are always a product of the culture that made them.

To a large degree I would say that hypocrisy is a core part of the human experience. To say that what you believe and what you think is right is more important then what others think is right.
Everyone believes in justice to some degree, just as everyone thinks justice should align with their morals.
---
I do feel some things are "objectively" morally bad (eg. slavery) and that I am not willing to tolerate it.
Because I (like everyone else) am a little hypocritical and think that my views are better then those of the societes that embraced slavery.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162100 on: March 11, 2023, 09:55:05 am »

The only thing about good and evil all cultures will agree on is, that it is evil to harm your own. What exactly constitutes "harm" and "your own", varies between cultures and even with time.
Also, those considered evil by a culture will generally stop being of that culture's own.

So, what makes a culture itself evil?
I'd say it is making such laws, that people can't choose to obey them and are as such automatically considered evil and not protected by them. This can be because it is physically or psychologically impossible, or because it would do harm to them if they did.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162101 on: March 11, 2023, 10:37:39 am »

It's actually really fucking simple, mirror neurons work, language doesn't, culture doesn't either. The little voice in your head is trained behaviour, mirror neurons are innate. Basta. The longer the excuse the more my eyes roll.
let

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162102 on: March 11, 2023, 12:48:11 pm »

In the context of what we are talking, that like saying that vigilantism is good because it dealt with insert example that affected you personally.
Yes. Yes it is. The authorities are doing jack shit so it's the only way unfortunately. It is too late to solve anything diplomatically in America or Russia.

I am glad. Engaging with people can take a lot of time, its much better to have certainty in the superiority of your beliefs and conviction these should be impressed onto others. Better 100 innocent persons should suffer witch hunts online than that one guilty person that annoy us should go free. And did you see the storming of the Capitol, how the hell these sneaky bastards managed to get ahead of us! Look at Putin, now here is person who understand how to solve things.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 01:08:03 pm by jipehog »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162103 on: March 11, 2023, 01:06:56 pm »

Jesus Christ jipehog, the “I’m a morally superior being” schtick wears thin enough without you being a passive aggressive troll on top of it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162104 on: March 11, 2023, 01:14:12 pm »

Too much ?  :P 

I admit i am not subtle, but overall I am just pushing using age old arguments and projecting their behaviors on their opponents.
Pages: 1 ... 10805 10806 [10807] 10808 10809 ... 11040