Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10802 10803 [10804] 10805 10806 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14573057 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162045 on: March 09, 2023, 12:35:59 pm »

"Ruin" seems like an overstatement. What I see is the occasional millionaire

Clearly you’ve never heard of Lindsay Ellis.

I’m sure the average Millionaire can weather the accusations just fine, but the problem is that cancel culture doesn’t just target Millionaires. It targets a lot of regular people too, and the consequences are much more severe when that happens.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 12:39:33 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162046 on: March 09, 2023, 12:54:29 pm »

Wait what? That Youtuber that did movie commentary? I used to watch her stuff.  Would I even be able to find out what it is to which you're referring?  I see that there's no new videos from her in like a year. But there is newer stuff in the Community section related to a book she wrote.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162047 on: March 09, 2023, 01:07:17 pm »

This seems to have an overview of what happened.

Bit shitty really.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162048 on: March 09, 2023, 01:17:14 pm »

Wait what? That Youtuber that did movie commentary? I used to watch her stuff.  Would I even be able to find out what it is to which you're referring?  I see that there's no new videos from her in like a year. But there is newer stuff in the Community section related to a book she wrote.

Short answer, she had significant criticism for Raya and the Last Dragon, which was labeled "racist" and got her dogpiled. Never mind that plenty of Chinese critics had very similar criticisms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162049 on: March 09, 2023, 01:18:27 pm »

I was curious as well, though had never heard her name. Here's one of her explanations:

https://web.archive.org/web/20211228021744/https://www.patreon.com/posts/60406124

-- and an article somewhat later:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/former-youtuber-lindsay-ellis-says-s-learning-live-trauma-canceled-rcna35389

The original cause for the "campaign" against her seems completely ridiculous, if this article is to be believed (it has a stated bias, but I don't think it matters). The problem here seems to be the Twitter algorithm amplifying toxic engagement and a general culture of getting information from headlines and unsubstantial tweets.

Ninja: Hector linked the same article.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #162050 on: March 09, 2023, 01:31:13 pm »

Short answer, she had significant criticism for Raya and the Last Dragon, which was labeled "racist" and got her dogpiled. Never mind that plenty of Chinese critics had very similar criticisms.

This reminds me of the time I criticised the Twilight movie's Bella Swan. I said she was bland and an inactive (and hence non-compelling) character. I compared this to the book depiction, where she had more agency and maturity.

I was told in no uncertain terms by a group of (predominantly female) writers that I was a man, I wasn't allowed to comment, and that I was being sexist.

Edit:
As an addendum, this had the anticipated result: I stopped discussing it, because such allegations could seriously hurt my future life. At its best, 'cancel culture' steps up to bullies. But its most common application seems to be as the name implies - to 'cancel' debate.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 01:34:32 pm by TD1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162051 on: March 09, 2023, 01:40:51 pm »

My point is that she is a good example of cancel culture hurting innocent people. Lot of people say cancel culture either doesn’t exist, or only ever targets the powerful, and when I hear them say that, it feels like they live on a different planet.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162052 on: March 09, 2023, 01:55:52 pm »

I think it reflects a trend for the modern left to hyper focus on symbolism and words to the detriment of material reality. If I were a conspiratorial sort I might say that this has been engineered by those who have stake in the game to create a managed, impotent opposition.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162053 on: March 09, 2023, 01:58:08 pm »

ahhh, thinkcrimes, you dont exist if people dont thought
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162054 on: March 09, 2023, 02:18:11 pm »

I think it reflects a trend for the modern left to hyper focus on symbolism and words to the detriment of material reality. If I were a conspiratorial sort I might say that this has been engineered by those who have stake in the game to create a managed, impotent opposition.
The primary source of cancel culture is conservatives, though? They're the ones actually passing legislature to see people driven into nonexistence and ejected from society, and they've made it clear they're intent on pushing that straight to the point of explicit genocide. The term's primary use, and by a wide, wide margin, is a snarl word by such folks whenever they see someone else going to even a fraction of the lengths they do.

About the worst you see from the modern left is an occasional mis-aimed dogpile by internet folks (which often enough is driven as much or more by random internet fuckwads as anyone leftwing), and it's pretty rare those are actually mis-aimed. It's a trend among the left of meaningful scope in the mind of rightwing talking heads, not reality, and amplified primarily as a cover for reactionary shitheelery.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162055 on: March 09, 2023, 02:46:51 pm »

How are you making this the conservatives' fault?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162056 on: March 09, 2023, 02:49:53 pm »

It’s not exclusive to any particular group, though?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162057 on: March 09, 2023, 02:54:51 pm »

The behavior isn't exclusive, but it's heavily tilted, and especially so in terms of scope and impact. The specific term is plastered fucking constantly across rightwing media, in a way you don't see anywhere else. It's not a neutral term even a little, at this point, and its use in practice has a pretty damn specific nature.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162058 on: March 09, 2023, 03:36:29 pm »

Conservatives have been canceling stuff since before the dawn of civilization.
In America specifically they have cancelled all kinds of shit, from interracial marriage to homosexuality for hundreds of years. They are currently trying to do the same kind of shit to Trans people even today.
And its not something that is specific to "lets murder all these folks we don't like" either. Do any of you remember them trying to cancel Harry Potter or D&D? Cause those were totally things that happened.
When I was growing up in the 90's they had a bloody Harry Potter book burning near where I lived.

There is a difference of course now, which is that Liberals are winning in the public sphere in many cases. Stuff like anti-gay boycotts no longer work and actively backfire against the people and companies that do them.

So what do the republicans do? They make up a new negative term focused on Liberal reaction to people saying racist, sexist, or even outright genocidal shit to try to control the narrative.
Not only is it them trying to defend their worst members and to give them carte blanche to say whatever they want, its also of course also projection; because Republicans haven't at any point stopped trying to cancel wide swaths of the population.
---
Republicans are damn good at making up terms to try to control the narrative, way better then Democrats.
Its why for instance we say "Climate Change" instead of Global Warming, because GW sounds worse and scarier, so they changed the word to something neutral.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162059 on: March 09, 2023, 03:45:03 pm »

No, global warming implies the world is heating up, so Republicans do shit like bringing snow into the Senate in Winter as though that proves the world isn’t warming.

Equally so, climate change also encompasses changing weather patterns involved rather than just things getting hotter.

But still, conservatives aren’t the only one indulging in cancel culture.

Pages: 1 ... 10802 10803 [10804] 10805 10806 ... 11041