Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10801 10802 [10803] 10804 10805 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14573208 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162030 on: March 08, 2023, 09:24:59 pm »

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequences.
yes, behead the infidels /s

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162031 on: March 08, 2023, 11:21:04 pm »

You are a silly mare. Who was arguing for that?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162032 on: March 08, 2023, 11:22:46 pm »

Several of the folks musk re-platformed on twitter, I guess. No one here, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162033 on: March 09, 2023, 04:30:55 am »

Don't we have a thread for the Must twitter thing, why do we talk about that there.

Also holy shit there's so much rain that the coverts clogged with sticks and shit causing the front yard to flood but even after unclogging them a few minutes ago they are still overwhelmed by all the water so the front yard is flooding still.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #162034 on: March 09, 2023, 07:14:56 am »

Also holy shit there's so much rain that the coverts clogged with sticks and shit causing the front yard to flood but even after unclogging them a few minutes ago they are still overwhelmed by all the water so the front yard is flooding still.

You need to get the screw pumps going or drain it into the caverns!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #162035 on: March 09, 2023, 07:35:06 am »

Or he simply have different opinion and believe in his right to say it without being subject to cancel culture.
cAnCeL cUlTuRe

Almost always, people complaining about "free speech" are just upset they can't say slurs anymore.

You are a silly mare. Who was arguing for that?
I used to. I don't anymore.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162036 on: March 09, 2023, 07:38:09 am »

Cancel Culture is its own problem.  It's simply mob rule in the digital age.  And like any mob, it doesnt last that long but the damage it does lingers
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #162037 on: March 09, 2023, 07:39:05 am »

I see it more often as a buzzword these days.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #162038 on: March 09, 2023, 08:09:57 am »

Shame is a powerful tool for the weak to punch up against the strong. "Cancel Culture" is sometimes used by those who should be ashamed refusing to. Certainly there are times when it is misused, but it's like...genuinely the only tool the masses have right now.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162039 on: March 09, 2023, 08:49:41 am »

That's the problem with any tool - it can be used for good or for mayhem.

I do think cancel culture specifically devolved very rapidly to "mob rule in the Internet age" as stated above; there's essentially no due process and it ruins people's lives with basically no recourse. I'm not talking about "someone violated the terms of their employment contract and was fired" but "the leadership of a company fears the crowd so crucifies the controversial person du jour."

Basically it causes people to either not say anything out of fear of reprisal or to speak with intentional controversy to attempt to defy one mob to encourage another.

Somewhat of an aside: shame is rarely a good tool to encourage behavior in the long term. It just breaks people, and the shamer is putting themselves in a place of superiority over the shamed.  I would prefer the idea of rebuke over shame: you can call people out for detrimental behavior without shaming them.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162040 on: March 09, 2023, 09:28:19 am »

I do think cancel culture specifically devolved very rapidly to "mob rule in the Internet age" as stated above; there's essentially no due process and it ruins people's lives with basically no recourse.

"Ruin" seems like an overstatement. What I see is the occasional millionaire (who in addition to their vast wealth will passively collect much more than the median income in rent/interest until the day they die and beyond) getting an early cancellation of one contract among many (likely getting severance bonuses) and then going on vacation for 6 months before continuing to get more extremely highly paid work.

Or if they're particularly mad about it and lack other prospects they might do a stint in one of the political commentary outlets astroturfed by billionaires, possibly while promoting some grifty Go Fund Me to capitalize on the 1-2 weeks they're in the news before all memory vanishes forever.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162042 on: March 09, 2023, 10:08:57 am »

Man I did a few statistics

1567 containers since I'm here
2,11 containers EVERY day so that's
63,52m³ every.day.even.sundays.

For 10034 inhabitants, 6L garbage a day.

Do you produce 6L garbage a day?

And let us not forget it's 250 people who come super regularly, the others we see 'em like 6 times a year.

That's just demonic quantities. These people have issues. 6L on top of what we pick up on the curbside...
let

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162043 on: March 09, 2023, 11:22:26 am »

I guess you're right about the vacation bit

Yep, some people kill themselves after harassment campaigns, justified or not.  If a newspaper exposes a politician's corruption for instance, there's a very rare chance that might cause a resignation and suicide.

If the reporting is true then there's little to be mad about (just a bit sad really), but the usual concerns about the media reporting false or overblown information apply otherwise. I'm sure there are criticisms to be made on the particular details of this case.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162044 on: March 09, 2023, 11:33:00 am »

Would seem to me that being forced to resign and then driven to suicide goes well and beyond the definition of "ruin someone's life".
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10801 10802 [10803] 10804 10805 ... 11041