Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10772 10773 [10774] 10775 10776 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14567379 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161595 on: January 01, 2023, 10:07:19 pm »

That's relatively standard holiday spike, though, innit? You usually see an increase in homicides around holidays, the curiosity is if there's an abnormally large one around holidays that involve people considering stuff like explosions/gunfire/screaming to be normal.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161596 on: January 02, 2023, 04:15:34 am »

Sitting here in my flat listening to people across the city ring in the new year with automatic gunfire.
Not automatic, but yeah, gunfire and fireworks is a normal new year thing around where I'm at. Good time to murder someone, really. I've long wondered if there's an uptick in homicide rates around firework related holidays, but never bothered to actually check.

Vaguely unfortunate thing is that stuff like fireworks/gunfire/thunder scares the hell out of the poor dog that's in the house. New years (and the 4th) is a time of terror for the critter :-\
I had a similar thought on the 31st. Really good time to blow something up. Nobody would notice amongst the other explosions.

I live in a country with gun regulation though, so no gunfire, just explosions.
Another thing is that explosions not only scare pets, but can also trigger car alarms.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161597 on: January 02, 2023, 04:31:45 am »

Nothing says happy holidays like murdering people.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161598 on: January 02, 2023, 09:48:29 am »

That's relatively standard holiday spike, though, innit? You usually see an increase in homicides around holidays, the curiosity is if there's an abnormally large one around holidays that involve people considering stuff like explosions/gunfire/screaming to be normal.
Yeah, just feels fucky.

I expect the spike in accidental arson with cold temperatures, but deciding that Christmas week is the time to go shoot up a funeral parlor or gun someone down on the freeway is just eh.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161599 on: January 02, 2023, 03:02:32 pm »

The workreform subreddit's mods are sensitive.

After seeing the umpteenth obviously fake text conversation ("Come in NOW!" "No." "Come in or I fire you!" "I quit". You get multiple following this exact formula every day) I complained that the sub's filled with fake posts like that. I got promptly banned, the reasoning being that saying it's filled with fake posts reduces the effectiveness of their message, or to translate: "You called us out and we don't like that"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #161600 on: January 02, 2023, 03:08:25 pm »

messages worth hearing don't need deception to prop themselves up
pretty simple

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161601 on: January 02, 2023, 03:49:40 pm »

Deceit is a normal part of human communication and its presence, confirmed or assumed, doesn't justify the United States' "unskilled" labor conditions. You might also say that messages worth hearing don't need CEOs, police, mainstream and rightwing media, our imperialistic army, trade laws, congress and president enforcing them, and yet.

(I am not part of Reddit or any other online union-flavored space, just active in my local).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161602 on: January 02, 2023, 05:32:33 pm »

The workreform subreddit's mods are sensitive.

After seeing the umpteenth obviously fake text conversation ("Come in NOW!" "No." "Come in or I fire you!" "I quit". You get multiple following this exact formula every day) I complained that the sub's filled with fake posts like that. I got promptly banned, the reasoning being that saying it's filled with fake posts reduces the effectiveness of their message, or to translate: "You called us out and we don't like that"
I fucking hate these god awful hyperliteral protocol non-defiant humanity non-compliant doing-it-for-free hot pocket devouring mods and janis who end up being a billion times worse than the things they're supposed to bloody police. I can't tolerate reddit for an iota for that reason, but even the more lawless imageboards you have mods and janis who warn and ban anyone for posting something that "should" belong on another imageboard for being off-topic, leading to a never-ending ban carousel as every board's mod disowns whatever you're posting for "belonging somewhere else." But a deluge of stupid spam, illegal content and cringe against humanity never gets stopped. There's now been years of people spamming the same fligu gigu flart tik toks and we all know it's just 3 pedophiles spamming the same stuff and still they do nothing. /tg/ used to be such a cool board, then the gestapo mod banned every single artist and writer for not explicitly making tabletop discussions about tabletop dice rolling games, because obviously making art and content about the lore of tabletop games does not belong on the tabletop board game board.

Sometimes the medicine is worse than the disease.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161603 on: January 02, 2023, 05:58:27 pm »

Mods gotta be picked for love of the community and not for wanting-to-be-a-mod, really. The latter will just Do Shit for the sake of feeling important.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161604 on: January 02, 2023, 06:08:43 pm »

I expect the spike in accidental arson with cold temperatures, but deciding that Christmas week is the time to go shoot up a funeral parlor or gun someone down on the freeway is just eh.
It also sees a significant spike in suicide, iirc. Holidays (especially the major ones) can just be particularly stressful for folks already down on their luck or otherwise dealing with a lot of risk factors for (self) harm. All the mess related to them can easily be a tipping point for someone that was already borderline for doing something unfortunate.

Kinda' sucks, one of the reasons I try to ignore holidays about as much as I can manage. Folks'd be in a healthier place if there were fewer pressures around the holiday seasons...
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161605 on: January 02, 2023, 06:12:28 pm »

"Pressure" and stress are overexaggerated as a cause. Research suggests that the primary reason is that if you've got serious brain problems you tend to react poorly to a time of year that shoves joy and personal bonds and excitement and all the things your fucked up brain chemistry won't let you experience.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161606 on: January 02, 2023, 06:15:38 pm »

I mean, if that's not pressure or stress I'm not sure what is? Unless there's a different term for art for it I'm forgetting.
Ask not!
Ask!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161607 on: January 02, 2023, 06:38:37 pm »

It's not my fault they tote out the Valentines Day shit even before the new year hits.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161608 on: January 02, 2023, 07:01:43 pm »

I mean, if that's not pressure or stress I'm not sure what is? Unless there's a different term for art for it I'm forgetting.
Pressure is everyone else shoving their misery and personal vendettas and hatred on you all the time. TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY, FALALALA, JUST FUCK MY SHIIIIIIIT

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161609 on: January 02, 2023, 07:02:49 pm »

Usually when people talk about holiday pressure and stress it is about the financial cost of the celebrations, or having to deal with obnoxious relatives, or running yourself ragged trying to keep up with everything. The "everybody is happy but me!" factor gets massively ignored.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10772 10773 [10774] 10775 10776 ... 11040