Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10771 10772 [10773] 10774 10775 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14567694 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161580 on: December 29, 2022, 08:47:53 pm »

Interesting, thanks for the information.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161581 on: December 30, 2022, 02:35:59 am »

Sounds pretty wasteful to me, if the clothing is good enough to sell why recycle it?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161582 on: December 30, 2022, 02:57:42 am »

On the one hand, you demonstrated integrity and loyalty to your employer by reporting the theft. On the other hand, you're a confirmed snitch and I'm sure *all* of your coworkers will remember who you wag your tail for.

Sorry for any offense Akura, I can understand the temptation to do good. It's just that the system is designed to wring out the value of good-natured people.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161583 on: December 30, 2022, 12:01:49 pm »

Sounds pretty wasteful to me, if the clothing is good enough to sell why recycle it?

Because nobody bought it
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161584 on: December 31, 2022, 02:52:42 am »

Caught one of my coworkers stealing today. She went over to a rack of dead stock intended to be recycled, pulled a dress out, removed the price tag, went over to the pricer for a new tag, then stashed it in a corner. I watched the whole thing, and even took a photograph of the dress where it was stashed.

All that apparently happened was she got a talking-to. And the manager may or may not have told her who reported her, although that wouldn't have too hard to figure out. Even so, she was clearly acting extra bitchy towards me the rest of the day.

I think, fundamentally, you're required to tell the manager or you become an accomplice after the fact. And while this particular case did not lead to criminal charges being filed, someone else could have seen it, then reported that you knew but didn't tell. So yeah, sometimes usually doing the good thing sucks.

Usually, whenever I do something decent, it's proceeded with by my mentally stating "oh fuck, this is gonna hurt". Then doing it anyways, because it's the goddamn right thing to do.

However, it's important to realize who has what job. Yours ain't security nor management. So fundamentally, if other coworkers want to steal, it's only your job to report what you encounter, and if management brushes it off, that is their decision to make. You should NOT go out of your way to find out these things.

I'll also share some of my history with retail.  When I worked retail, there were several coworkers that were problematic.  They invariably lasted for a relatively short while. I found it comforting to remember that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #161585 on: December 31, 2022, 03:05:26 am »

I used to work for one of the big four supermarket chains in the UK, and heard some amusing stories of theft.

One involved the night-shift manager at a nearby slightly larger store apparently being caught on CCTV returnijg a stolen case of vodka because there were runouts going around that the manager had figured out who stole it, so he got fired.

Another was because nobody took seriously security around money. There was meant to be two people always involved whenever money was being moved to or from the safe in the office, but a South Asian colleague who was a team leader (again in another store) took advantage of that not happening and stole a 5 figure sum, the day’s takings, and apparently managed to flee back home before the theft was discovered.

The latter is why policy needs to be followed all the time. Theft, even if small things, is not something that should be taken lightly, because someone else who doesn’t have qualms about taking larger or more expensive items is going to take notice of lax adherence and quite possibly take advantage.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161586 on: December 31, 2022, 03:15:31 am »

I saw a surprisingly small amount of theft when I was assistant manager for one of the biggest "boutique" electronics chains in the US. (Trust me, you know the store and you probably hate its policies, like everyone else does.) I reported what I could, but most of the time, corporate didn't give a damn, either because they had bigger fish to fry, or because the bulk of our merch was bought for pennies on the sale dollar. After I quit, the guy above me and the guy he replaced me with both got canned for stealing thousands of dollars from the safe over the year I was out.

When I was assistant manager of a gas station, though, I saw (and mostly reported,) an enormous amount of theft. Like, holy hell, everyone stole everything that wasn't nailed down or counted every shift, and sometimes people tried to steal that, too. I never cared if employees helped themselves to outdate food (like, we cooked it on the grill and it sat for a few minutes too long, so it was going in the trash anyway,) or fountain drinks, as long as it wasn't on camera. But like, don't try to steal lottery tickets or cigarettes. They get counted by every manager during their shift start paperwork, and you WILL get busted.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161587 on: December 31, 2022, 03:40:57 am »

I saw a surprisingly small amount of theft when I was assistant manager for one of the biggest "boutique" electronics chains in the US. (Trust me, you know the store and you probably hate its policies, like everyone else does.) I reported what I could, but most of the time, corporate didn't give a damn, either because they had bigger fish to fry, or because the bulk of our merch was bought for pennies on the sale dollar. After I quit, the guy above me and the guy he replaced me with both got canned for stealing thousands of dollars from the safe over the year I was out.

When I was assistant manager of a gas station, though, I saw (and mostly reported,) an enormous amount of theft. Like, holy hell, everyone stole everything that wasn't nailed down or counted every shift, and sometimes people tried to steal that, too. I never cared if employees helped themselves to outdate food (like, we cooked it on the grill and it sat for a few minutes too long, so it was going in the trash anyway,) or fountain drinks, as long as it wasn't on camera. But like, don't try to steal lottery tickets or cigarettes. They get counted by every manager during their shift start paperwork, and you WILL get busted.

From what you've described about yourself, I'm not surprised people in a electronics store didn't want to steal around you...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161588 on: December 31, 2022, 04:09:33 am »

My presence really had nothing to do with it. It was more to do with selling a large volume of very low value items mixed in with a few high value ones, combined with a very simple inventory system that just made it really obvious if something was missing, but only if you went looking for it. Also, about 60-80% of our stock at any given time was sold to us by customers, and the high value items were kept under literal lock and key, locked in a stockroom.

Besides, I don't fight unless I'm getting paid for it (or there's a very serious emergency), and retail does not pay enough for that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161589 on: January 01, 2023, 01:14:33 am »

Sitting here in my flat listening to people across the city ring in the new year with automatic gunfire.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161590 on: January 01, 2023, 04:45:19 am »

Because nobody bought it
So why not donate it, they're gonna lose money one it anyway.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161591 on: January 01, 2023, 02:18:09 pm »

I am laughing for no reason. I feel manic and like stabbing someone.

Send help.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161592 on: January 01, 2023, 02:31:12 pm »

Please don't stab anybody (unless they attempt to harm you first, of course). Laughing is okay though.

I don't know where to send help to though. Perhaps try local services?

Personally, when I feel manic, I go for a run. I run until I get tired.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161593 on: January 01, 2023, 04:44:33 pm »

Sitting here in my flat listening to people across the city ring in the new year with automatic gunfire.
Not automatic, but yeah, gunfire and fireworks is a normal new year thing around where I'm at. Good time to murder someone, really. I've long wondered if there's an uptick in homicide rates around firework related holidays, but never bothered to actually check.

Vaguely unfortunate thing is that stuff like fireworks/gunfire/thunder scares the hell out of the poor dog that's in the house. New years (and the 4th) is a time of terror for the critter :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161594 on: January 01, 2023, 06:44:55 pm »

Not automatic, but yeah, gunfire and fireworks is a normal new year thing around where I'm at. Good time to murder someone, really. I've long wondered if there's an uptick in homicide rates around firework related holidays, but never bothered to actually check.

Vaguely unfortunate thing is that stuff like fireworks/gunfire/thunder scares the hell out of the poor dog that's in the house. New years (and the 4th) is a time of terror for the critter :-\
Don't think they really need the excuse here, we had 1-2 murders each day the week before Christmas.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 10771 10772 [10773] 10774 10775 ... 11040