Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10724 10725 [10726] 10727 10728 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14560746 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160875 on: September 20, 2022, 05:48:20 am »

XP is aging into that exact bracket - the people who grew up playing OG Xbox and gaming on XP boxes are hitting the life stage when they have disposable income but nobody but themselves to support.
Crap I forgot all about nostalgia gaming driving the prices of this stuff up, but I wouldn't have thought it would raised the price that much.

IMO XP is probably the OS with the most games working out of the box. Assuming that each year we release more games than the year before, that statement has probably long become inaccurate. But you can run a boatload of games on XP, be aware tho that there are titles from the 95 to ME era, that will not run on XP, a fair few actually, prepare to have your heart broken on that front  ;D.
At least when it comes 95 and 98 I have something for all ready. Checking out recycling centers for stuff sounds neat but I can't think of where any would be in my area, I'd probably have to go to a city for that.

I wonder when it'll get to the point where these old computers are worth more then when they were new?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160876 on: September 20, 2022, 05:56:58 am »

XP is aging into that exact bracket - the people who grew up playing OG Xbox and gaming on XP boxes are hitting the life stage when they have disposable income but nobody but themselves to support.
Crap I forgot all about nostalgia gaming driving the prices of this stuff up, but I wouldn't have thought it would raised the price that much.

You would be shocked to see how bad it can get.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a bit of an outlier, but there's a fair number of SNES games that are in the $400 range now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160877 on: September 20, 2022, 07:21:39 am »

konus
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:14:14 pm by dragdeler »
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160878 on: September 20, 2022, 07:26:34 am »

Everdrives and ODEs are nice (all my consoles are set up that way), but for a lot of people they don't have the same feel as picking a game off the shelf and putting it in. The nostalgia is as much for the game and console as a physical presence as it is a gameplay experience.

Also, you'll be happy to know that krikkz is fine, and has not only started selling Everdrives again but has exciting new projects in the works.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160879 on: September 20, 2022, 12:17:31 pm »

I'm lucky cuz my nostalgia such as it is, is for downloadable PC games. Emulators have a very cool feel to me. ;p

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160880 on: September 21, 2022, 04:29:32 am »

I got a bunch of everdrives from krikkz
I guess I'm out of the loop but what are everdrives?

You got a 98 pc? Well congrats I'm still looking for a halfway decent laptop from that time that will boot on me... someday
I guess I live in an area that doesn't really care about 98 since I managed to get several a few years back, I'll just say that the two 98 laptops I've managed to get a hold of run but are both sensitive as in if you move them around to much they shut off
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160881 on: September 21, 2022, 06:01:25 am »

I got a bunch of everdrives from krikkz
I guess I'm out of the loop but what are everdrives?

Everdrives are a brand of flash cartride produced by a Ukranian entity that goes by the name of Krikkz. These are each intended for a specific vintage game console, and allow you to run that console's game library (loaded via SD card) on the original hardware without sourcing increasingly expensive and hard to find original media - some highly sought-after vintage games go for well over $400 if you can even find a copy. While many older games are possible to buy in retro collections for PC or newer consoles, the vagaries of the industry mean that many have not and likely will not ever be rereleased.

An ODE (or Optical Drive Emulator) is a similar device intended for CD/DVD based systems such as the original Playstation or Gamecube. These can be even more useful for keeping your vintage hardware in play because the actual optical disc drives are almost all long past their expected service lives, and disc rot is desroying an ever increasing number of games no matter how well stored they are.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160882 on: September 21, 2022, 08:23:14 am »

Was thinking I'd try donating plasma.

For some reason, the NHS decided that there was no need for any plasma donation locations north of Birmingham. There's three in total. One in Twickenham (Which is either within or just outside the London Metropolitan Area), Reading (Further upstream from London) and the aforementioned Birmingham.

There's a pretty large chunk of the country that doesn't live in the South, you'd think they'd actually spread them out a bit.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160883 on: September 21, 2022, 10:18:21 am »

Was thinking I'd try donating plasma.

For some reason, the NHS decided that there was no need for any plasma donation locations north of Birmingham. There's three in total. One in Twickenham (Which is either within or just outside the London Metropolitan Area), Reading (Further upstream from London) and the aforementioned Birmingham.

There's a pretty large chunk of the country that doesn't live in the South, you'd think they'd actually spread them out a bit.

Blood will naturally tend to pool at the bottom if the country doesn't flex or get up to walk around every so often.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160884 on: September 21, 2022, 11:01:02 am »

My wife has insisted on managing our bills and such for a while now.

Turns out she just sort of hasn't been paying them, but all our money has been going somewhere, and now we have 4 months of power bills and late fees to turn our power back on. I work from home. I just got a notice that our cell phone service might be cut. What the fuck.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #160885 on: September 21, 2022, 11:26:35 am »

Turns out she just sort of hasn't been paying them, but all our money has been going somewhere

Something is definitely not on level here. Very fishy. You should definitely get a grasp of where all the expenses are going first from your bank statements.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160886 on: September 21, 2022, 12:01:26 pm »

Yeah, that's, uh. Ungood, on several levels?

Good luck figuring out what happened and keeping it from happening again...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160887 on: September 21, 2022, 12:25:13 pm »

Look for gambling debts. There’s a good chance that she’s secretly trying to nurse some sort of addiction.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160888 on: September 21, 2022, 02:13:25 pm »

You'd think from my saying that sure its gambling or drugs or something, but there's no way. The girl is a saint made flesh. She feels bad when people cut her off in traffic because they might be in a hurry. She goes to work and then comes home to watch hallmark originals until its time to work again.

I expect its more just gross mismanagement, but to be fair, they are my bills too. She insists on being responsible for them but its not like I hold no responsibility.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160889 on: September 21, 2022, 02:17:31 pm »

Just have a honest conversation about it. 'Tis the time for assertiveness.
Pages: 1 ... 10724 10725 [10726] 10727 10728 ... 11040