Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10723 10724 [10725] 10726 10727 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14559822 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160860 on: September 18, 2022, 02:26:13 pm »

rip electric blobbo

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160861 on: September 18, 2022, 05:04:44 pm »

I went to garage sale today and there was a computer tower with Windows XP on it and I figured I could get it to play some of the older games I have on it, but when I asked how much it was the guy said he wanted 40 dollars for it, and holy shit that's a lot of damn money for something that old I don't care how good a shape it's in. Needless to say I didn't buy the damned thing.

That sort of thing is becoming surprisingly valuable. Every OS has a maximum level of hardware it will run on, and it is pretty common for an older OS to remain in use for one reason or another. Besides games (your intended use), a lot of businesses have specific software packages that would cost a fortune to update, but which do not run in newer OSes.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160862 on: September 18, 2022, 06:31:26 pm »

til the kitten appears to like birdsong sounds
This has actually extended into wtf territory, this is legit the most chill I think I've ever seen a cat behave in my life.

Like, most of the time this cat's been around she's been a bit of a hellion (or more precisely, a healthy young kitten without other cats to play with), but since I started running these birdsong vids when she's around, she just curls up beside the computer and conks out. I've actually never seen cat behavior like this before, there's catnap and whatnot that's normal, but... not like this. Ruddy thing's acting like she's tranq'd or somethin'.

E: For those with cats that would like to try, I've been running this on loop. Nothing fancy, anything similar would probably work if it's not something specific to this particular cat.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:35:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160863 on: September 18, 2022, 06:58:25 pm »

I went to garage sale today and there was a computer tower with Windows XP on it and I figured I could get it to play some of the older games I have on it, but when I asked how much it was the guy said he wanted 40 dollars for it, and holy shit that's a lot of damn money for something that old I don't care how good a shape it's in. Needless to say I didn't buy the damned thing.

That actually sounds like a fair price.  It was also a garage sale, so he probably would have taken $30-35.

Garage sale prices can be wonky, since its just regular people selling their stuff for a few bucks, not an actual business.

XP does sound a bit too "new" to be demanding too much money, however.  You can probably get an XP computer by just offering to haul it off for someone.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160864 on: September 18, 2022, 09:17:44 pm »

Vista, 7, 8, 10, 11

XP is now six versions behind the current release, and the end of security support was eight years ago. Even most thrift store machines don't run XP anymore.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160866 on: September 19, 2022, 03:35:10 am »

I hardly ever see computers in thrift stores, and the last one I bought was a Thinkpad laptop with Windows 2000 on it that didn't even come with a cord and I payed five dollars for it.

That actually sounds like a fair price.  It was also a garage sale, so he probably would have taken $30-35.

Garage sale prices can be wonky, since its just regular people selling their stuff for a few bucks, not an actual business.
Given how old XP is I'd think a better price would be around 5-10 especially given they didn't even know if it worked or not because they bought it from a storage unit.

Also I meant to say they were selling at a trade days not a garage sale and I'm pretty sure that is how they make their money, also they seemed really proud of their items especially when they wanted 65 dollars for a old bean pot.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160867 on: September 19, 2022, 05:11:41 am »

A quick look at Ebay for "Windows XP computer" shows a price range of between $50 and $300. You're greatly underestimating the value of old electronics. Not only is there the practical "I want to run X piece of software" angle, it is far from uncommon for people in their late 20s and up to want to recreate experiences from their youth, which includes the PC environment they spent so many happy hours in back when the world was young. I should know - I've put about $400 into the 486 sitting on my desk.

XP is aging into that exact bracket - the people who grew up playing OG Xbox and gaming on XP boxes are hitting the life stage when they have disposable income but nobody but themselves to support.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160868 on: September 19, 2022, 10:42:28 am »

As far as I know, you can't access most of the internet with XP anymore. Using Google Chrome, I was able to access Google's pages (Google, Youtube, Facebook), but not much else. It kept telling me that my clock was running ahead.

Using Windows Explorer, not even that.
Presumably you could access more if you got recent certificates, but good luck getting those for outdated browsers.

That being said, I do remember the Uni I went to still used NT for some stuff, because the software needed would not run on newer systems.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160869 on: September 19, 2022, 01:57:54 pm »

pimelet
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:13:48 pm by dragdeler »
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160870 on: September 19, 2022, 09:45:50 pm »

The queen is dead and buried, so please for the love of God can we end this saturating all the news? Please?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160871 on: September 19, 2022, 09:52:33 pm »

The queen is dead and buried, so please for the love of God can we end this saturating all the news? Please?

What, you want them to move on to King Charles is a Worthless Twat.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160872 on: September 19, 2022, 10:00:45 pm »

Ideally I’d like people to stop giving a shit, but I suppose having abundant wealth and not having to pay tax because of who your parents are is a dream for people? I’m not sure.

It’s been in the news for 11 days now though. I get she’s been around for 70 years, most people don’t know of a time when she wasn’t queen, but really, there’s more interesting things happening in the world than running commentary of parading a dead body around an island and watching it in an ornate coffin for days until they put both in the ground.

The news today was about who was there, as though it was just like any other red carpet event, which is a touch gruesome, but I don’t have views to sell so…
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160873 on: September 19, 2022, 10:05:55 pm »

There are so few actual Royals these days, they tend to capture the imagination.

Eh, enough trying to explain it. Damn those Royals, they should all join the Queen in the Box!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160874 on: September 19, 2022, 10:29:16 pm »

What, you want them to move on to King Charles is a Worthless Twat.
We could stop trying to rehabilitate His Royal Nonceness's image by going on about how normal and well-composed he is at least.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 10723 10724 [10725] 10726 10727 ... 11040