Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10711 10712 [10713] 10714 10715 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14561702 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160680 on: August 31, 2022, 05:00:29 pm »

It's certainly not an obvious choice of agency to run them. I would have thought historic buildings would be the job of a historical society, rather than what is essentially a group of Game Wardens turned wildlife conservationalists.
...well, they're still conservationalists.

They also have the money & personnel to properly handle the historic buildings, unlike the typical non-for-profit elderly volunteer historical societies.
So I've very glad they're doing the work, it's just a bit of a disconnect.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160681 on: August 31, 2022, 05:02:14 pm »

I was gifted a doily the other day from a young park ranger.
y'know, it took me a minute to parse that wasn't taking about a dolly, one of those hand cart things used to move stuff

... somehow it became less weird after i remembered that's not you spell dolly, neat little knitted things are actually far more reasonable as a small gift
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160682 on: August 31, 2022, 05:08:49 pm »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160683 on: August 31, 2022, 05:17:33 pm »

They also have the money & personnel to properly handle the historic buildings, unlike the typical non-for-profit elderly volunteer historical societies.

Do you not have a Federal level historical society in the States? Here in the UK that stuff generally falls under a state controlled organisation dedicated to the care, maintenance and tourism industry related to old buildings like castles and monuments. The Scottish version (Historic Environment Scotland, not exactly government run, but the guys in charge were appointed by the government) handles castles, battlefields, monuments, that one cave where someone had a vision of the Virgin Mary,* old monasteries and so on. Couple of islands that used to be inhabited. Also paintings, documents and other historic items that aren't attached to the ground.

*I think it was Mary at least, might have been a local saint, but it's a cave with a statue in it and a little building with a desk to keep an eye on the place. Barely anyone goes there, but they keep the desk manned because it needs to be open for the public during daylight hours.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #160684 on: August 31, 2022, 05:20:59 pm »

Do you favor anuses or ani as the plural of anus?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160685 on: August 31, 2022, 05:22:14 pm »

I like anuses.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160686 on: August 31, 2022, 05:23:56 pm »

anuses. ani looks like a shorthand for animation, and I prefer unambiguous over technically correct.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160687 on: August 31, 2022, 05:27:24 pm »

Do you not have a Federal level historical society in the States? Here in the UK that stuff generally falls under a state controlled organisation dedicated to the care, maintenance and tourism industry related to old buildings like castles and monuments. The Scottish version (Historic Environment Scotland, not exactly government run, but the guys in charge were appointed by the government) handles castles, battlefields, monuments, that one cave where someone had a vision of the Virgin Mary,* old monasteries and so on. Couple of islands that used to be inhabited. Also paintings, documents and other historic items that aren't attached to the ground.

The US didn't have much that was old enough to justify a historical society for a long time, and a lot of the stuff that was worth preserving got taken care of by private institutions on an ad-hoc basis. It wasn't until after the creation of Yellowstone National Park in 1872 that people started to really think that a national service might be handy, and it made sense just to fold it all into the same umbrella organization (created in 1916).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160688 on: August 31, 2022, 06:28:43 pm »

Anuses is the way I usually see it pluralised. Not that it's something that gets pluralised often in my experience.

The US didn't have much that was old enough to justify a historical society for a long time, and a lot of the stuff that was worth preserving got taken care of by private institutions on an ad-hoc basis. It wasn't until after the creation of Yellowstone National Park in 1872 that people started to really think that a national service might be handy, and it made sense just to fold it all into the same umbrella organization (created in 1916).

Fair enough, though most such monuments elsewhere weren't state administered until relatively recently either to my understanding. Other than some really old museums, which mostly used to be private enterprises, the modern state foundations for caring for historic sites are mostly from the 1800s or 1900s.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160689 on: August 31, 2022, 06:41:16 pm »

I will say people roll up to the Udvar air n space all the time thinking their national park parking pass works there.

Because a metal and concrete building surrounded by multiple acres of mowed lawn that gets doused in jet exhaust every five minutes screams nature preservation.  Apparently the national mall might be a "park" but not here like 5 towns over.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #160690 on: August 31, 2022, 06:44:28 pm »

i like neither anuses nor ani and would prefer not to associate with either, thank you, mine is trouble enough

My park ranger roommate remarks how people often flash their state park stickers like it means anything at the national monument he works at. It's not something anyone would really expect the common rube to be on top of, anyways.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160691 on: August 31, 2022, 06:53:10 pm »

you should ask them if anyone's ever taped the correct pass on the other side of the incorrect one, so that when they're told the state pass doesn't work they just flip the thing around (and probably waggle their eyebrows like they did something impressive, there's a remarkably mundane mental image in my head now that's like a dad joke distilled into a person at a park entrance thing)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160692 on: August 31, 2022, 07:07:21 pm »

Make it anï it'll sound real smart too.
let

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160693 on: August 31, 2022, 09:30:43 pm »

I was gifted a doily the other day from a young park ranger.

Maybe they like you? Aw that sounds cute.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160694 on: September 01, 2022, 02:18:49 am »

This place has such an strange flow of conversation, while most people talk about national parks and historic places
others periodically chime in about which plural form of anus is better.

Also anuses sounds better than ani, because if I saw ani written somewhere I wouldn't really be sure what it was supposed to be.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10711 10712 [10713] 10714 10715 ... 11040