Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10696 10697 [10698] 10699 10700 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14560752 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160455 on: July 27, 2022, 09:25:02 am »

Cup in the canteen
The coffee is very bad
I swallow and retch
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #160456 on: July 27, 2022, 06:27:53 pm »

Woke up at 4 AM. Went to bed at 6 AM next day, somehow not particularly sleepy. Woke up at 10 PM. My sleeping schedule is so very fucked. And has been for a long time.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #160457 on: July 28, 2022, 09:03:00 am »

Cup in the canteen
The coffee is very bad
I swallow and retch

I see ChairmanPoo
Has honed his skills on practice
Of kitchen haiku.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160458 on: July 28, 2022, 11:18:31 am »

Woke up at 4 AM. Went to bed at 6 AM next day, somehow not particularly sleepy. Woke up at 10 PM. My sleeping schedule is so very fucked. And has been for a long time.

Have you been bitten by any radioactive owls lately?

EDIT: I dreamed that cherries grew in weird pea pod-like holders the size of corn cobs. And that they could walk. To find the right soil to plant themselves in. And I knew this because of course, I, was a cherry farmer.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:03:09 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160459 on: July 29, 2022, 04:34:21 am »

I was under the impression that that was how cherries actually grew.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160460 on: July 29, 2022, 05:16:35 am »

The day I see that I just greet that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Weird japanese folklore demons that adhere to politness etiquette ain't got nothing on me!
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160461 on: July 31, 2022, 05:13:13 am »

I was driving around the local lake and I found where someone had illegally dumped some crap, usually when you find something like that it's all garbage or old construction rubble but this time it was weird because it was someone's garage sale leftovers and when I say that I mean a stuff like, some clothing, two bicycles, a bed frame, mini fridge, TV, battery powered wheelchair and a car carry for it, some kids riding toys, and some other random stuff. Right before it was reported to the authorities we dug through it and grabbed some of the more useful stuff like a bunch of brand new craft stuff, a few planks of wood, kitchen upper cabinet, a big dog kennel, and a few other random things.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #160462 on: July 31, 2022, 04:08:28 pm »

It happens a lot anywhere there's a charge on dumping at a proper site. People would rather toss it on the side of the road than pay a fine, even if getting caught occasionally might incur a greater fine. Didn't see that much where we used to live; the public dumpsters were free, pre-paid by taxes. Just off limits to businesses/commercial dumping.

We're paying $15 a load now we moved to Washington, which is excessive, definitely.

Just goes to show that if you make people pay out of pocket for every basic service they will go out of their way just to spite you and avoid paying for that service.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 04:12:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160463 on: August 01, 2022, 01:31:32 am »

I still find it weird that a lot of the stuff they dumped was new, they could have at least donated it to a thrift store or something rather than come all the way out to where I live to dump it.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160464 on: August 01, 2022, 08:52:45 am »

Went to fix a shower.

I unplug the shower, blow through it. No problem there.

I try the water with the shower unplugged. A component that was poking out of the connector shoots out and the water flows.

I check the component. It is a minimum pressure regulator. Unless there is at least a minimal pressure applied to it's back, it will remain closed.

It was installed backwards.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160465 on: August 01, 2022, 12:00:08 pm »

Guidelines saying "humankind" and "human beings" are less "unnecessarily gendered and exclusionary" than "mankind".  I guess just because it doesn't start with the 'man' root, it's OK?

Doesn't seem consistent.

Also, one of my not even unconscious biases is I have problems with people looking for ways to claim things are exclusionary.

I find the discussion about "inclusive language" is also very US culture and English-language specific...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160466 on: August 01, 2022, 01:02:14 pm »

I think because the word "man" has other connotations than "generic word for person" these days and we lack another generic word for the singular male of our species. For example, "woman" is not considered to mean "male" by most people who aren't second-wave feminists (the ones who write womxn). So if "woman" doesn't actually mean "man" then "human" doesn't either.

Can you clarify other languages that don't discuss problems of linguistic inclusivity? Most Romance languages are in the process of developing a third person neutral so that they no longer have to, by grammatical requirement, call a group of 50 women and 1 man the equivalent of "a group of men." (Or, if you're really a dick, you refer to a girl and her mother pregnant with a male fetus as "boys/guys," as seen in the Guillermo del Toro movie, Pan's Labyrinth).

For example, in French we now have il (he), elle (she) and iel (they). Whoo! New language despite the Academy controlling linguistic reforms.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #160467 on: August 01, 2022, 01:08:47 pm »

The main issue is whether they are exclusionary. It starts with a fairly rational proposition - that 'man' is associated with men, and therefore could be construed as exclusionary. Not everyone is a man, after all.

But when challenged ('Oh! So 'mankind' is exclusionary? How??') the defense ('because we're saying 'man' is exclusionary!') is circular.

You'd need a much better data set to confirm your hypothesis, but you won't get it if you just accept your conclusion as Biblical.

Also, the historian in me wants to note that 'mankind' derives from Old English, which considered it a gender-neutral term. And that is how it's been used and considered up until very recent times.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #160468 on: August 01, 2022, 01:17:06 pm »

Just call everyone 'slick'. Problem solved
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160469 on: August 01, 2022, 01:26:16 pm »

Man should be wer, woman should be wif. As the ancients decreed. If only so that we could have the Amazing Adventures of Werespider and Werebat Begins. Also Wonder Wife, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 10696 10697 [10698] 10699 10700 ... 11040