Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10689 10690 [10691] 10692 10693 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558206 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160350 on: July 15, 2022, 04:47:45 pm »

Aero is incredibly devastating in mech combat, so you probably won't have a satisfying experience anyway. Unless they completely changed it, you don't use the current position of the plane for targeting purposes, but rather the flight path, assuming it just fires at some point. This means that Aero weapons always fire at optimum range - short with no min-range penalty. They also take minimal penalties from their own movement compared to mechs, and it is trivial to move in a way that you're firing into the rear arc. So you're firing weapons (which can easily be PPCs or AC/20s or boated medium lasers/SRMS) directly into the back with TNs of 6 or less.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160351 on: July 15, 2022, 06:34:51 pm »

This is all true.  Planes excel at nuking lone mechs.

For return fire the plane only gets its range bonus from altitude plus the bonus from fire arc, nothing else.  Plus if the plane takes any damage at all, it's like two bad rolls away from crashing, which kills the plane.  LB-X cannons also get a hefty flak bonus.  My goofy flanking locusts and cicadas probably live longer given my luck at times.

For the most part I really plan on taking the unarmed jump bombers here and there for area denial.  I'd probably also treat it like conventional infantry and specifically warn my opponent I'm taking them so they can bring a counter if they choose.

Anything to stop my opponent from spamming TSM enhanced spider mechs :V (I jest that's partly my fault)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160352 on: July 15, 2022, 11:11:27 pm »

First they came for the farmer's tractors
I said nothing, I was not a tractor
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160353 on: July 16, 2022, 02:10:08 am »

That moment you realize you were a tractor the whole time and didn't know it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #160354 on: July 16, 2022, 06:23:24 am »

Also I don't think there's very much special about Britain being the birthplace of the industrial revolution. Well, special yes, but not special in the sense that it could have only started in Britain. Things like the canal system, commercial culture being honoured instead of held in contempt, the creation of the factory production system, early-modern banking and investment, a restrained ruling class which doesn't just seize wealth at whim, research institutes and universities and urbanisation are all things which other civilisations have had or have had an analogue for in the past, or else rapidly industrialised a century or two later when these institutes were adopted. Britain was just the first; I don't like the material determinism which says Britain had to be the first. For all we know ancient Egypt might've pulled it off had they not been wrecked by the sea peoples, China or Persia might have done it had they not been rendered to the sword in the mongol conquests, or some other island nation like Japan or Java had they reached the right conditions first
Hmm. I feel like people love to talk about the relationship between politics and economics in producing [x result]. The social factor tends to be downplayed; understandably, as for the medieval period it's by far the least tangible. Keep in mind that most historians trace industrialism's impetus back at least as far as 1351, before the printing press and its associated explosion of cultural texts.

So, you are correct. Various nations have possessed the raw political and economic ingredients for an 'industrial revolution.' But the very ways in which people approached labour were distinct.

Before the Black Death, England's labouring force was controlled through seignorial dues and ancient customs. Each manorial demesne was responsible for maintaining itself. Each section of society was to labour according to its estate for spiritual reward. Poverty and labour were indications of moral integrity, typically that of the ploughman or agricultural labourer.

Then the Black Death killed half the working population, meaning demand for labour skyrocketed. Subsequent labour legislation made idleness a crime against the collective, the 'Community.' It was no longer a personal issue. One statute forbade spending leisure time in taverns, but demanded that labourers engage in 'productive' activity. Other European states issued similar legislation, but England's was by far the most extensive and socially interventionist, intervening on an imaginative and imagistic level.

The quoted word is significant. The Paston Letters (a series of letters written by the Paston family in the mid-fifteenth century) includes a description of an idle son as a 'drene' (drain) who, as such, would be excluded from the collective surplus. His crime was a lack of productivity. Further, the letter makes it plain that a concept of labour based on its productivity (and not the fact of labouring itself) was filtering into family units and was not a mere flourish of legislative enactments.

So the social perception of labour underwent rapid changes. Pre-Black Death, it was socially expected (through customary dues) and spiritually advantageous. Post-Black Death, its absence was a temporal crime punishable through local and royal courts. Leading from this, by the fifteenth century the focus had moved, specifically, to productivity.

So in addition to the incredibly specific geographic, economic and political conditions underlying industrialism, there was a deeply nuanced and very particular English approach to labour.

Other places had access to the same ingredients as England, but conceived of labour in distinct ways.

Edit: Oh hey Max also mentioned social factors.

I should have read ahead before replying  :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 06:35:58 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #160355 on: July 16, 2022, 08:10:13 am »

That moment you realize you were a tractor the whole time and didn't know it.
First they came for the farmer's tractors
I said nothing, I was not a tractor

That was supposed to be farmer xD

Someday I wish to be able to say something without absentmindedly mangling it in some way

While we're on the topic though let's start calling influences "tractors"
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160356 on: July 16, 2022, 08:14:01 am »

Tractors are those people who spread Jack Chick's work everywhere, right?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160357 on: July 16, 2022, 08:40:35 am »

I though it was a tv series?

Start Tractor: The Next Generator.
-Engage!
-It's dead, Jim.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #160358 on: July 16, 2022, 08:44:49 am »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160359 on: July 16, 2022, 08:55:22 am »

Oh god, that's clearly very early The Office and yet he's using an LCD monitor not a CRT.
*quiet screaming*
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160360 on: July 16, 2022, 10:22:55 am »

I though it was a tv series?

Start Tractor: The Next Generator.
-Engage!
-It's dead, Jim.

“Use the tractor beam!” *shoots tractor at alien ship*
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160361 on: July 16, 2022, 05:51:56 pm »

Oh god, that's clearly very early The Office and yet he's using an LCD monitor not a CRT.
*quiet screaming*

LCD monitors were cropping up well before that show even aired. A guy I know still has the one he bought in '02, I think. By '03, more than half of new monitors being sold were LCDs. Office was 2005.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160362 on: July 16, 2022, 05:59:51 pm »

maybe the screaming is due to the whole "ha ha yer old" thing rather than mistaken anachronism spotting?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160363 on: July 16, 2022, 06:01:18 pm »

*quiet screaming*
ha ha yer old

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160364 on: July 16, 2022, 06:30:05 pm »

:'(
maybe the screaming is due to the whole "ha ha yer old" thing rather than mistaken anachronism spotting?
Exactly  :'(  I'm not exactly sure what my logic was, though.  I was still waking up a bit.  And I'm not even that old...  weird.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 10689 10690 [10691] 10692 10693 ... 11040