Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10632 10633 [10634] 10635 10636 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14559782 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159495 on: March 16, 2022, 09:10:30 am »

Dad told me to look into cybersecurity like it isn't the most popular major since bread slicing.

Like cheers mate let me take on more thousands of debt and time just so I might get a job making shitty PowerPoint about not responding to phishing emails nobody listens to and update 20 windows machines.  Because that needs college education.

Heh, someday hopefully in the distant future, you'll miss your Dad being Captain Obvious.
My dad used to try to set me up with the nurses at his nursing home.  It was annoying primarily due to how ineffective it was.  Sorta like having Costello as your wing man (which sorta made me into Abbott, which explains why it never worked).

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159496 on: March 16, 2022, 09:18:52 am »

I personally wouldn’t mind dating some nurses, but I assume the setups failed because the nurses themselves weren’t interested.

Suddenly I’m picturing a senile old man shouting “I think you’d like my son Greta!”, “This is a Bingo Abe.”
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159497 on: March 16, 2022, 01:09:18 pm »

Dad told me to look into cybersecurity like it isn't the most popular major since bread slicing.

Like cheers mate let me take on more thousands of debt and time just so I might get a job making shitty PowerPoint about not responding to phishing emails nobody listens to and update 20 windows machines.  Because that needs college education.

Heh, someday hopefully in the distant future, you'll miss your Dad being Captain Obvious.
My dad used to try to set me up with the nurses at his nursing home.  It was annoying primarily due to how ineffective it was.  Sorta like having Costello as your wing man (which sorta made me into Abbott, which explains why it never worked).

Dad doesn't realize A) The only people who hire me are awful retail work who'll take anything with a pulse B) job's that actually hire me only did so because somebody important was dumb/desperate enough to give the autistic creep a chance, not of any real merit C) I've already fallen for the education debt scam once D) 99% of the time my resume didn't see Human eyes because some computer dumpstered it ages ago.

It's never like I have a real choice in work, it's just where I end up.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159498 on: March 16, 2022, 02:23:36 pm »

Dad doesn't realize A) The only people who hire me are awful retail work who'll take anything with a pulse B) job's that actually hire me only did so because somebody important was dumb/desperate enough to give the autistic creep a chance, not of any real merit C) I've already fallen for the education debt scam once D) 99% of the time my resume didn't see Human eyes because some computer dumpstered it ages ago.

It's never like I have a real choice in work, it's just where I end up.
No level of education will change those facts.
I have an advanced degree, and my jobs prospects are basically the same in my field.  I've made my livelihood from taking the work people don't want, and being too irreplaceable to exclude.

It's also why I'm self-employed.  I learned that lesson from my dad.  He had like 7 jobs in his adult life.  I was like "fuck that, I'll work for myself".
Professional qualifications, licenses, minimum educational requirements, those are the keys to moving to a higher playing field.
And I don't mean financially.  You want money? Learn to drive a truck or work a factory 60+ hours a week.
Nobody gives you a job.  They take you because you're the best/only one they can find.

*Also, if you're autistic, your dad's Aspergers.  Dunno if Aspergers is a term any more, but a brief google search tells me you can at least look it up  8)
100% sure on that, as you and your dad are probably like me and my dad (before he went nuts from his work's chemical exposure affecting his brain).

I personally wouldn’t mind dating some nurses, but I assume the setups failed because the nurses themselves weren’t interested.

Suddenly I’m picturing a senile old man shouting “I think you’d like my son Greta!”, “This is a Bingo Abe.”
Congratulations, you've now basically pictured my dad.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159499 on: March 16, 2022, 02:39:49 pm »

"Just start a business :D"

Okay, like what

"Just start a business :D"

In other words my mom's shitty advice instead of my dad's, outstanding.  You're just missing the "b-but your sooo smart" part.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159500 on: March 16, 2022, 02:55:33 pm »

You could try cultivating a more positive attitude.
While I can understand the difficulties of society not being very autism-friendly all too well, repeatedly telling yourself 'why even bother' is just as big an obstacle to your future wellbeing.

Sounds like to me your parents are just trying to help you with well-meant advice. It might not be the advice you need, but don't be too harsh on them.

EDIT: I'm not trying to offend you, I just notice your attitude is kinda self-harming and you deserve better.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 03:00:06 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159501 on: March 16, 2022, 03:18:47 pm »

You could try cultivating a more positive attitude.
While I can understand the difficulties of society not being very autism-friendly all too well, repeatedly telling yourself 'why even bother' is just as big an obstacle to your future wellbeing.

Sounds like to me your parents are just trying to help you with well-meant advice. It might not be the advice you need, but don't be too harsh on them.

EDIT: I'm not trying to offend you, I just notice your attitude is kinda self-harming and you deserve better.
Every job I get fired from after like a year, and it's always some retail job after hundreds and hundreds of resumes shot out into the void at something I might remotely work well at but no.  This current job is the only real one I haven't had issues at but it pays nothing and there's no real chance of advancement outside of my immediate superior getting hit by a bus.

What's really foolish is ever expecting any better.

Their boomer advice really boils down to "you're almost 30 yet aren't independent like I was in 1970" "your brother has a whole family why don't you ever have relationships are you even straight" so on and so forth, just don't say the quiet part out loud.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159502 on: March 16, 2022, 04:28:45 pm »

Eh, I'm living at home with my mom, no relationship but obviously straight.  Its the new normal.

If you actually want to start a business, the question is what do you want to do. 
Being self-employed has only one benefit: No Boss.  But you're the boss.  You gotta tell you to do stuff, or the business falls apart. 
So it needs to be something you generally want to do.

Hm, since you have experience in retail, perhaps running your own resale business would be worthwhile? You could pick up stuff at a flea market, clean & repair it, then try to sell the slightly used stuff at a market fair in a more prominent neighborhood.

Or if your current job is great but they're not paying enough, what is your current job? Does it have skills/responsibilities/etc that you could transfer to some self-run business?

...or just get into the legal marijuana retail business.  I could never do it, because I get crazy paranoid from marijuana, even to the point where second-hand smoke triggers a mild reaction.  But if you are ok around it, its a hugely lucrative business that is being created while we speak.

As for the sibling with kids, remember this rule: More kids = More problems.  There is zero equity in children.  You can be the crazy rich uncle, because those kids will drive your brother into the poor house, LOL.

"b-but your soo smart"...yeah, my mom says stuff like that too.  It's probably true, the smart part.

...to be honest, if you can't figure out how to start your own business, you shouldn't do it.  Starting your own business is only the first hard thing you'll have to figure out if you do start your own business.  I often refer to my office as a Mine, where I dig through files for money.  Not manual labor, but hard work for modest pay.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #159503 on: March 16, 2022, 10:06:52 pm »

I want to preface that I'm not joking, but like, after talking to some of my friends who had to do some "business" to get their parents off their back, it's an entirely valid option for you to just start posturing yourself as an entrepreneur and start a business that you invest so little in that you don't actually lose money from it and gives you a certain cachet that you can use in parties, family gatherings, and in resume.

An example is to start a "printables" business which requires so little labor and operating costs that it doesn't matter if only like your friends buy a poster from you once a month, you can still pat yourself in the back and call yourself Postermaster Supreme because you make 5 bucks of profit from your business a month.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159504 on: March 17, 2022, 07:36:37 am »

Just had some dental work done, and now my brain is trying to tell me one of my teeth is back to front every time I touch it with my tongue.

No brain, tooth is just a different shape because we take such bad care of our teeth.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #159505 on: March 17, 2022, 09:33:36 am »

It's hard to teach your brain the tooth.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #159506 on: March 17, 2022, 11:37:23 pm »

I can fool my brain into thinking my teeth are at very extreme angles relative to the teeth next to them by curling my tongue up near them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #159507 on: March 18, 2022, 08:58:07 am »

Right? what's the deal with that? If I turn my hand upside down and touch things, my brain still knows the thing is not upside down. But apparently your tongue has no such concept of orientation?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159508 on: March 18, 2022, 02:29:08 pm »

My lil' boy has made a nest and tent out of his new wagon that he got for his birthday. He is napping in it on the porch.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #159509 on: March 18, 2022, 07:40:18 pm »

I was unaware of my molars being angled 45° outwards until last month. Your nerves just lie to you and think that's normal. Gotta check in the mirror it turns out

Dentist says I need no action taken unless they start causing problems. Doesn't think it's actually my wisdom teeth causing it, they're farther back. But my lower wisdom teeth are facing parallel with my lower jaw, i.e. pointing forward towards my incisors. Which will require surgery to correct, if they start pushing my lower teeth together.

My mouth is as garbage as my diet is. No cavities though, just bone wierdness.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 07:43:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 10632 10633 [10634] 10635 10636 ... 11040