Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10625 10626 [10627] 10628 10629 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14561696 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159390 on: February 12, 2022, 01:27:45 am »

I will probably die of radiation poisoning, because there is a national guard armory, an airbase, and an international Airport nearby. But on the other side of some mountains and ~10 miles away. So I will probably not get incinerated.

I have thought about this exact thing on the way to work before, obviously.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159391 on: February 12, 2022, 01:39:43 am »

Unless someone decides they really need to waste a nuke by blowing up dozens of miles of jack shit I'm safe from nukes and radiation.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159392 on: February 12, 2022, 05:28:11 am »

Jack shit is a legitimate military goal in modern warfare.

Like "what have you accomplished in Iraq?"
Jack shit, mission accomplished. As a bonus we created IS.
or
"what have you accomplished in Afghanistan?" ... Again, jack shit.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159393 on: February 12, 2022, 05:36:42 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 08:13:27 am by dragdeler »
let

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159394 on: February 14, 2022, 01:32:54 pm »

Attempting to do my taxes, which I admittedly should have done weeks ago(even if the deadline is in April). My normal tax prep guy died last year, so I attempted to do so myself. Except that the cursory Google search on the subject yields nothing but ads for tax prep services. Or ads for tax prep services masquerading as instructional articles. Never mind that the average American's taxes are supposed to be understandable to the average American.

Also, my W-2 was badly printed, being misaligned with the paper and the perforation separating the various copies cutting through part of one of the copies.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159395 on: February 14, 2022, 01:48:34 pm »

For what it's worth, several of the tax prep services (check the IRS website for some vaguely vetted by the actual tax organization) offer the basic deal for free, and unless you've got several income streams, some of them variously esoteric, or are making a good deal of money, they work just fine. S'what I've been doing since I finally made enough money to legally be required to file, heh. No need for paper whatsoever, can do it online if you feel like. Takes like 20-30 minutes or somethin' if all you got to deal with is the single W-2.

e: though standard notice it's still horseshit compared to countries that just send you your tax paperwork pre-filled, you look over and sign, and then send back. Let's not forget it could be much bloody better!

e2: but yeah, the post made me remember to do mine using... whatever it was I used last year. Already forgot and/or don't care enough to refer/recall, but between first edit and second edit frumple filed their 2021 taxes. Took like 25 minutes or something to e-file. Super simple stuff if your tax situation isn't complicated.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 02:20:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159396 on: February 17, 2022, 11:50:55 pm »

Today has been a fairly WTF kinda day.

There was a very unusual situation that came up at work, where one of the clients, maybe a 30-something normal looking guy, just had an episode where he may have had a small seizure or something, and then got very confused and started wondering through the building into the employees only areas. I didn't see the start of it, so I thought he was just trespassing, but judging from his behavior in hindsight and what my coworkers said, he might have had some kind of neurotic episode and completely forgot where he was, and was just wandering around aimlessly, didn't seem to know who were the people around him, and couldn't quite converse with anyone very well. After a few minutes, he regained his senses and finished up what he came there to do, but I'm wondering if I should have called an ambulance for the guy.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #159397 on: February 18, 2022, 12:09:55 am »

Sounds like some kind of seizure, aye, if he was in a post-ictal state of confusion and gradually getting clearer-headed. Generally speaking, you don't call an ambulance on a seizure unless it's been happening for longer than five minutes, there's just nothing to be done on the spot and nobody wants to pay the troll toll on the weewoo wagon.

Unless you've got a corporate policy of calling an ambulance for any kind of medical anomaly, anyways. Some places do be like that.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #159398 on: February 19, 2022, 05:29:06 pm »

My experience would be the opposite; calling an ambulance someone didn't ask for (whether they were in an impaired state or not) could make the business liable for paying for that ambulance or a lawsuit from the person injured if the emts  took them away and charged them for the ride. Most businesses have a you're on your own policy.

At the nursing home here, if a resident has a seizure the nurses look after them and call emts according to the regulations they have to follow. It always sounds extremely complicated to me, but they have to get the charge nurse to assess them or something before making the call
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159399 on: February 19, 2022, 05:58:20 pm »

From over here in a land with free ambulances that honestly sounds like a third world country scenario. Someone has a serious medical incident here and we get an ambulance to come check them out, or get a district nurse make a trip out to make an on-location medical inspection depending on the nature of the issue.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159400 on: February 19, 2022, 08:45:04 pm »

business liable for paying

Lol. Lmao.

here in the US those words don't even make sense together.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159401 on: February 19, 2022, 10:15:13 pm »

Sooorta.  Occasionally a corporation will be found guilty of "negligence" (cutting costs regardless of the human cost) and be slapped with damages, even punitively.  So a corporation materially harms a few thousand people or more, but one lucky victim gets a few million dollars to "teach the corporation a lesson".

Result:  The corporation easily absorbs that cost, the victim becomes a social pariah.   Not accidentally: a popular narrative is built that American customers are metaphorical soccer players, eager to sue for that chance at wealth.  Very useful narrative for the corporations.  People should look into the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit if they haven't already - it got spun hard in comedy circles.

All the other victims see nothing (without the years and years of a risky, low-benefit class-action lawsuit) and further bad practices remain profitable.

And bonus, corporations have an excuse to make "Oh no what if someone sues us, you know how people are!" policies which are completely sociopathic and detrimental to a sane society.  Good Samaritan laws exist for a reason, fuck.

Edit: Hell, specific example, remember how that one grocery store had to toss a bunch of their food when the power went out - and some absolute dickhead from corporate came by and made sure the perfectly good food rotted in a dumpster?  Calling the police to guard the dumpster in case certain local people got a decent meal for once?  Fucking insane.
(I bring that up because even I was like "Ehhh maybe the scavengers could have sued?" but no, it was just a miscarriage of justice and the cops did the scummy job they were designed to do.)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 10:20:59 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159402 on: February 19, 2022, 10:23:55 pm »

Oh yeah, I remember someone reported the research labs in my hometown for lying on grants and getting billions of undeserved tax dollars they spent on other things. They settled for hundreds of thousands, the whistleblower got like 1% of that, and her name, address, and photo was posted in the newspaper to punish her for speaking out after she was fired.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159403 on: February 19, 2022, 10:30:47 pm »

"Right to work" sounds like such a nice thing with no context, huh.   :(
Whistleblowers need better protection.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159404 on: February 19, 2022, 10:59:50 pm »

The thing is that it means the opposite of what it says on the tin, hehe.
Pages: 1 ... 10625 10626 [10627] 10628 10629 ... 11040