Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10618 10619 [10620] 10621 10622 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14569596 times)

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159285 on: January 28, 2022, 01:30:02 am »

Well r/antiwork has descended into pandemonium after an unpopular interview between one of the mods and Fox News. Allegations of transphobia, sexual assault, banker infiltration, incest and corruption are flying. A migration towards r/workreform is ongoing but reports of Reddit admins meddling in their mod roster are coming in.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159286 on: January 28, 2022, 01:47:42 am »

Seems like a Fox interview is a stupid idea in general.  Even if the interview went 100% perfectly, what sort of Fox viewer is going to be swayed by the usual antiwork rhetoric?

If anything, the interview only confirmed whatever pre-conceived notions most conservatives have about work reform and its supporters.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159287 on: January 28, 2022, 02:06:36 am »

Well r/antiwork has descended into pandemonium after an unpopular interview between one of the mods and Fox News. Allegations of transphobia, sexual assault, banker infiltration, incest and corruption are flying. A migration towards r/workreform is ongoing but reports of Reddit admins meddling in their mod roster are coming in.

That is such a bizarre list of alleged crimes. It’s like people just made up a list of every bad thing they could think of. They don’t cohere at all. Is anyone actually believing this crap?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159288 on: January 28, 2022, 02:28:36 am »

You are approaching it from the perspective of "People making the allegations are rational, and have opinions based on actual events or actual features/findings of reality."

That is not a correct position to start from.

Both sides of the political spectrum (but admittedly to differing degrees) have US/THEM'ed so hard, that each has a caricature cliche of the other, and often that cliche includes the "EVIL FOR THE SAKE OF EVIL!" concept.  Once you include that concept, all manner of other evils are "Natural!" consequences of allowing that "Wicked kind of thinking!", and so, the accusations fly.

Mixed into that ointment, is the shitload of dead flies:  There are thinktanks and other crooked political actors who leverage that kind of modality to shape public opinion specifically for the purposes of staying in power, by "riding the wave."

When approached from that perspective, it makes absolute and perfect sense that those kinds of spurrious and stupid allegations get lobbed, and further, that people lobbing the DO IN FACT believe them--- They have been TOLD, REPEATEDLY, that it is so.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #159289 on: January 28, 2022, 02:36:05 am »

It’s a shame even if r/workreform pops off. ”Antiwork” is such a strong name, it gets straight to the ideological point in a way rarely seen. With ”workreform” you have to know already why reforming work is a good idea, while ”antiwork” (I believe) had a strong pull on those not engaged in workers’ right a priori, because they only had to be intrigued by the provocative sub name, and tired of working.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159290 on: January 28, 2022, 03:27:50 am »

That is such a bizarre list of alleged crimes. It’s like people just made up a list of every bad thing they could think of. They don’t cohere at all. Is anyone actually believing this crap?
They're not all aimed at the same person.

Seems like a Fox interview is a stupid idea in general.  Even if the interview went 100% perfectly, what sort of Fox viewer is going to be swayed by the usual antiwork rhetoric?

If anything, the interview only confirmed whatever pre-conceived notions most conservatives have about work reform and its supporters.
That seems to be the consensus.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 03:53:46 am by Flying Teasets »
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159291 on: January 28, 2022, 08:19:49 am »

They're not all aimed at the same person.
... beyond that, the incest thing's the only one that particularly fails to cohere. Banker infiltration (assuming that's not just coded anti-semitism, anyway -- I'm not nearly curious enough about this to actually inflict a fox news interview or reddit on myself to find out, tbh) and corruption goes hand in hand, as does transphobia and sexual assault, and the latter pair being involved with the sort of shits that would be getting up to the former is depressingly common.

The incest is out of place, but the rest are only incoherent if you haven't been paying attention to workplace horseshit for, like, the last, uh. Century or somethin', I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159292 on: January 28, 2022, 08:26:02 am »

Incest and Sexual Assault do fit, so I wouldn't be wholly surprised if someone had both accusations aimed at them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159293 on: January 28, 2022, 08:29:40 am »

”Antiwork” is such a strong name, it gets straight to the ideological point in a way rarely seen. With ”workreform” you have to know already why reforming work is a good idea, while ”antiwork” (I believe) had a strong pull on those not engaged in workers’ right a priori, because they only had to be intrigued by the provocative sub name, and tired of working.

It runs into the same problem as "defund the police"

Conservatives can just take the extreme slippery slope of the term and say these people are lazy and want a society where nobody works, which under most average peoples' understanding is impossible.  Which is really easy for them to do as that's the actual view of r/antiwork at its founding.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159294 on: January 28, 2022, 09:51:28 am »

A Dutch woman died after having a 'Brasilian Butt Lift' in Istanbul.

Don't know whether my WTF is that you can die from plastic butt surgery, or that it made front page news in the Volkskrant.
I guess it's good to warn people about the dangers of liking big butts.
Oh damn, that made headlines in the UK years ago. Seems it's still claiming lives

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159295 on: January 28, 2022, 10:18:35 am »

Sir Mix Alot claims another live!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159296 on: January 28, 2022, 11:05:15 am »

Jesus, Dexamethasone makes you energetic and hyper. The doc says that's a well known side effect.
But if you didn't know me and didn't know I took dexa, you'd think I was pretty far up the hypomanic ladder.
(I am not bipolar but my mom is, so I know all too well what it looks like)

Good thing this is just a one time event where I had to take the pills for an adrenal gland blood test.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159297 on: January 28, 2022, 05:00:46 pm »

Putting the meth in dexamethasone

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159298 on: January 28, 2022, 05:54:39 pm »

Pronouns is one we were warned about. Use the wrong pronoun by accident/ignorance and jeopordise your job.

But what if I hear someone's accent and think they're French, then bring it up only to offend them? Apparently they're Swiss and how could I think otherwise.

It's exactly the same thing, with the same results, but I doubt my job would be in any danger.

1. I have never heard of anyone's job being jeopardized due to misgendering a trans person, on accident or on purpose.

2. Getting someone's nationality wrong between "French" and "Swiss" is not the same thing as deliberately getting someone's gender wrong, in general. Emphatically: the results are nothing alike. The environment that accepts misgendering is the first step to the environment that expects violent correction of other aspects of trans people.

If you were saying that you repeatedly accused a generic Irish person of being a Traveler or IRA member, or told a Jew that they are a "member of a foreign nation" despite their citizenship being the same as yours, or in the US calling someone an "illegal" regardless of their documentation: the aggressive intent is apparent regardless of how the person's papers are or aren't. It becomes clear that the point is to let the other person know that they are being observed, and they aren't welcome. This situation is fairly analogous, but the one that you outlined is not.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159299 on: January 28, 2022, 07:24:46 pm »

Sir Mix Alot claims another live!

I almost posted the song but restrained myself ;)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 10618 10619 [10620] 10621 10622 ... 11040