Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10577 10578 [10579] 10580 10581 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558764 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158670 on: November 06, 2021, 12:41:49 pm »

I find it extremely funny tho, how a person whose only claim to fame is that they're good at running and getting hit over the head holds any authority on fucking anything, let alone shit like health and vaccination.

I mean, I kind of get it- if you don't feel your government or elected politicians represent you or the causes you stand for and you have little or no personal power yourself to enact the change on the issues you want to see in the world, you'll champion instead the celebrities who may share your values because they have the audience and sway you never will. They're the people's mouthpieces because they're at the heart of popular culture.

Unfortunately, they're also typically not experts on the things you want them to champion and are prone to bouts of ego that having untold thousands of followers and dollars helps to inflate.

--

I wonder if this'll draw back any of the close-minded crowd that quit watching football back when teams/the NFL had anything to say about the 2020 police brutality protests and the Black Lives Matter surge.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158671 on: November 06, 2021, 12:47:47 pm »

I wonder if this'll draw back any of the close-minded crowd that quit watching football back when teams/the NFL had anything to say about the 2020 police brutality protests and the Black Lives Matter surge.

What's sad is that according to an article I read, black athletes aren't immune to police harassment either. Nor are their friends and family. Those football guys could have actually had something relevant to say about that topic.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158672 on: November 08, 2021, 09:19:19 pm »

That Rodgers story keeps getting dumber and dumber.

Also - folding mouse. Why?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158673 on: November 08, 2021, 10:53:58 pm »

*shrugs* It's not the oddest mouse based design, nor the least usable (those old laptop nubs probably win that one), and probably won't end up particularly uncomfortable with that shell thing.

So... why not? Mouse that goes the extra mile from working on nearly any surface (optical mice in general) to outright conforming to them is a fairly predictable extension of development to date.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158674 on: November 08, 2021, 11:59:21 pm »

Look, its curved for your pleasure, stop complaining.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158675 on: November 10, 2021, 10:07:04 pm »

Reliable reports are saying that Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, the founder of Something Awful who was deposed in a forums coup last year has died.

Of limited interest to most people here, but this is a guy who had a staggering amount of impact on the Internet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158676 on: November 10, 2021, 10:15:24 pm »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158677 on: November 10, 2021, 10:25:14 pm »

After reports of spousal abuse came up, pretty much the entire SA userbase started to abandon the site. The admins had a replacement forum all set up and were about to send everybody the links to move over. They also mass-canceled his Patreon. So between the loss of the income from all the monetization on SA, and the loss of his Patreon income, he was persuaded to sell the site to one of the admins so he could at least keep something.

For reference, the guy who bought it posted the financials - the forum was making around $10K a month, most of which was going straight into Lowtax's pockets and not (as he claimed) barely keeping the hosting paid for.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 10:27:00 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158678 on: November 10, 2021, 10:57:38 pm »

That's some internet drama there. I never even heard about it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158679 on: November 10, 2021, 11:47:38 pm »

Found a fire hydrant in the road right off an intersection, almost off the bike lane and actually in the lane I was turning into. It's dark as fuck out so I stopped to move it and eat my burger. Only thing nearby I can see it could have come from is down hill 20 yards from where it was. The things fucking heavy, like 120 pounds at least. But no skid marks or leaking oil pans to make me think some drunk hit it.

What maniac hauled a 120+ pound hunk of metal 20 yards up a hill and then abandoned it? Probably a meth head or a drunk teenager, but still. And shouldn't it be bolted to the ground? Maybe they stole it from the construction up the road...

[Edit]
I just noticed I'm right across the road from the college campus, this explains everything.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:55:26 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158680 on: November 11, 2021, 01:41:51 am »

Could have fallen off the back of a truck, I've found a bunch of stuff that's fallen off trucks recently and I still don't get how people don't notice this shit falling off their trucks.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158681 on: November 12, 2021, 10:25:21 pm »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #158682 on: November 13, 2021, 02:07:18 am »

Oh look, I haven't been on for... 3 months? More, if I count my general disappearance from GD. The small experiment with Discord seems to have ballooned to me just living on Discord and forgetting about this place. I've fallen well out-of-sync, culturally. I can't imagine I'm getting recognized right now; this is an ego-trip, nothing more(!)

In the meantime, I've been... discovering myself? Let's see, I'm now a girl (for some small and variable measure of "girl"), I've gone from being merely Linux-curious to being a Linux zealot (I still don't use Arch btw), and found people who I'd trust with my life. I hate my parents now, but that was inevitable, just that being around people I identify with accelerated that process. Standard LGBT adolescent/young-adult things, you know.

Anyway, my WTF here is that Bay12 has remained mostly static for that long. I've become accustomed to Discord servers being fast-moving things, where people cycle in and out at breakneck pace. The "famous people" on $SERVER today might not be the same in one month. Here, it's remained the same. I still recognize everyone posting in GD, as I did all those months ago. Ah, it's good to come back to something familiar.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158683 on: November 13, 2021, 06:28:38 am »

In the meantime, I've been... discovering myself? Let's see, I'm now a girl (for some small and variable measure of "girl"), I've gone from being merely Linux-curious to being a Linux zealot (I still don't use Arch btw), and found people who I'd trust with my life.

All great! What's wrong with Arch! I like Arch!

Ah, it's good to come back to something familiar.

Glad to have you back around.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #158684 on: November 13, 2021, 07:14:48 am »

All great! What's wrong with Arch! I like Arch!

My personal reason is incredibly petty. Couldn't get a Java-based music Discord bot (this one, if you're curious) to run on Manjaro ARM on my Raspberry Pi 4. Gave me some library errors after installing the JVM, couldn't figure it out. Decided that if it's gonna give me shit on this tiny thing, I'm gonna suffer a lot later, nuked the SD card and went back to Raspbian Lite. I've only been using Linux on this one board, so my experiences there probably won't reflect my experiences if I tried Arch on an x86 box.

I'm boring, I only use Raspbian Lite on my Pi because it just works, you know? Mostly, there's the odd "enabling video decode on Chromium", "if you install Network Manager, purge dhcpcd5 and openresolv, or NM and the other two will fight to the death" and "dual-monitor is annoying with some capture cards, force-set the HDMI mode for both displays in /boot/config.txt to prevent tty modes from running in the lower of the two resolutions". You know. Just works. Mhm. Just works. Totally. KDE works okay on a Pi 4, but I overclocked to 2.3 GHz on mine. Protip: disable the compositor.

That's for a Pi. I don't yet own an x86 Linux box, but my brother dropped off his old gaming rig (Ryzen 1000/2000 (guessed based on motherboard and general age), GTX 960, 8 GB RAM). He says it's fine, just that the PSU is dangerous, and whatever storage devices were in there were cannibalized. I've already ordered an SSD and PSU for it, so if it works, I'll have a free box to tinker on that isn't a Raspberry Pi for once! Love those things to bits, but you ever try running the KDE compositor on those, even overclocked? Not happening.

If I wanted to be normal, I'd run Ubuntu on it (specifically Kubuntu, 'cause KDE). If I wanted to go insane, I'd go straight to NixOS or any of the other "weird idea" *nixes.
Pages: 1 ... 10577 10578 [10579] 10580 10581 ... 11040