Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10495 10496 [10497] 10498 10499 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14552059 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157440 on: June 04, 2021, 01:02:34 pm »

I would hypothesize that the country a person lives in is the strongest determinant to the likelihood of any given person being overweight or not. Unless the industry a person works in requires a certain body type, the place they live is deciding the likelihood of them being thin or fat. Every other consideration seems insignificant in comparison.

Each country has its own food and work culture, and the food industries present in each country are the ones deciding what is actually in each person's diet. The U.S. famously has the shittiest end of this stick, but even that varies depending on where in the U.S. is being considered, as each state is basically its own small country.

I would support that hypothesis.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157441 on: June 04, 2021, 01:29:02 pm »

I'm not even sure anyone made any such assumption? Or that being a nerd in the nerd business or being fat is a personal failing?

Also, why the whataboutism?

I'm trying to show you why it isn't miso-anything simply to assume anyone is fat.

I would hypothesize that the country a person lives in is the strongest determinant to the likelihood of any given person being overweight or not. Unless the industry a person works in requires a certain body type, the place they live is deciding the likelihood of them being thin or fat. Every other consideration seems insignificant in comparison.

Each country has its own food and work culture, and the food industries present in each country are the ones deciding what is actually in each person's diet. The U.S. famously has the shittiest end of this stick, but even that varies depending on where in the U.S. is being considered, as each state is basically its own small country.

I would hypothesize that whether or not one has a job or hobby that makes you sit still all day is a much more relevant determinant than which country one is from.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157442 on: June 04, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »

I think the triggering word here, regardless of intent, is "cynic." Why is it cynical to assume that the VTuber girls are fat? Would anyone say it's "cynical" to assume that any given dude online is fat?

(I seriously don't care about this conversation and this is my reminder to myself to go do something else)

------

Surprised that I don't care about being on academic probation and am in fact extremely relieved. I am having a bad fucking time this year.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157443 on: June 04, 2021, 02:28:06 pm »

I would hypothesize that whether or not one has a job or hobby that makes you sit still all day is a much more relevant determinant than which country one is from.

Japan is full of those kinds of jobs, yet their obesity rate is only 3.6%, compared to america's 32%.

Diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weightloss because the majority of our metabolism is resting metabolism. Even when someone exercises like hell, it only makes a small dent in their overall metabolism. That's why body builders have to starve themselves to achieve their picturesque forms.

Usually when we see regional differences in weight gain, it's due to differences in food regulation and culture. Stuff like the maximum amount of sugar or salt that can be put in certain types of food (america's standards are the laxest), maximum serving size (Have you heard of 7 eleven's Big gulp? Good luck finding that outside of the States), as well as how freely companies can advertise junk food.

Depending on the country you live in, obesity can either be something you have to actively put in effort to avoid, or something that is so hard to achieve that you have to basically be trying to get fat.

Here is a video that nicely outlines all of the forces that make it hard to get fat in japan as an example.

It's frankly amazing how much you can learn by looking at laws and customs of cultures outside if your own. Chile's food labeling reforms are a beautiful example of an effective weight-loss policy that can be adopted by other countries. Obesity is a big burden on a country's healthcare system, so it's important to find effective ways to tackle it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #157444 on: June 04, 2021, 04:52:53 pm »

My qualm is really the assumption that, because they're representing themselves as female avatars instead of their real selves, their real selves must not be desirable to look at, and therefore they must all be fat, moreso because they're part of an industry that monetizes off of being cute female avatars instead of flesh and blood people, or that it's acceptable to lie about who you really are on the internet so of course they must be deceiving about their weight, or have enough weight to be deceptive about. I feel like I probably don't need to explain cultural weight expectations for women in entertainment or in general, culturally.

I'll take this as my reminder to quit kicking hornets' nests and leave it here, though.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #157445 on: June 04, 2021, 05:04:06 pm »

If I'm going to have to see my player character in 3rd person a lot I want to have something nice to look at. Hence female characters in lots of games.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157446 on: June 04, 2021, 06:09:45 pm »

If I'm going to have to see my player character in 3rd person a lot I want to have something nice to look at. Hence female characters in lots of games.

I've heard that expressed as "If I'm gonna be staring at someone's ass for hours on end, then it may as well be a woman's ass!"

Me, I choose male characters just because... I don't know, actually. Speedrunning tendencies? Just this "get me out of character creation, I wanna play the game!" feeling I always get. It's usually the first option, and "female" is below that. I'd absolutely play a nonbinary character if given the option, but I don't think that's an option in most of the games I play, considering I tend to bias towards last-gen games.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #157447 on: June 04, 2021, 06:23:28 pm »

My qualm is really the assumption that, because they're representing themselves as female avatars instead of their real selves, their real selves must not be desirable to look at, and therefore they must all be fat, moreso because they're part of an industry that monetizes off of being cute female avatars instead of flesh and blood people, or that it's acceptable to lie about who you really are on the internet so of course they must be deceiving about their weight, or have enough weight to be deceptive about. I feel like I probably don't need to explain cultural weight expectations for women in entertainment or in general, culturally.

I'll take this as my reminder to quit kicking hornets' nests and leave it here, though.

Japan IS the country where a pop star got tracked down and sexually assaulted via the reflections in her eyes on social media. There's lots of legitimate reasons to disguise yourself in that sort of job.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #157448 on: June 04, 2021, 06:42:59 pm »

Yeah, absolutely, there's any number of reasons to disguise or play a persona, entertainment and anonymity among them. Plenty of reasons I'm not registered here with my real name.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157449 on: June 04, 2021, 08:55:36 pm »

I play female characters because the fashion options for dudes almost universally suck ass in every MMO. If I wanted to spend 2 hours looking for unique outfits only to settle on the 156th iteration of basic male trousers I'd go to Wal-Mart.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #157450 on: June 04, 2021, 09:27:48 pm »

FFXIV generally doesn't have that problem.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157451 on: June 05, 2021, 12:47:05 am »

I just proved myself wrong in the process of trying to demonstrate why I thought I was right.

Edit: But if I use the objectively-worse method on more real-world stuff, it ends up being better? I don't know what to believe anymore.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 01:44:18 am by methylatedspirit »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #157452 on: June 05, 2021, 03:54:05 pm »

I just proved myself wrong in the process of trying to demonstrate why I thought I was right.

Edit: But if I use the objectively-worse method on more real-world stuff, it ends up being better? I don't know what to believe anymore.
Believe in me that believes in you!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157453 on: June 05, 2021, 09:05:57 pm »

On the topic of the meds, I think I'm actually getting used to them. I can still play BoTW, I've solved 2 puzzle shrines (Edit: make that 3!) (including one that stumped past-me), and I'm still playing decently well. Fights are more difficult, but that's what shields are for. I'm inhibited, but not incapacitated.

I still wouldn't trust myself to be safe if I went outside, but I think I'm still sober enough to do some things. (Am I making sense right now, overall?) I'm still figuring out what to do under the effect of this stuff. It's not "shut down all running processes, go to sleep", it's more complex than that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 09:12:50 pm by methylatedspirit »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157454 on: June 05, 2021, 10:51:50 pm »

Sounds like me on the combination of sleep deprivation and monster energy.

Mental processes are still going, but going at maybe 1/3 the speed, and generally inattentive.
Pages: 1 ... 10495 10496 [10497] 10498 10499 ... 11039