Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10494 10495 [10496] 10497 10498 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14551990 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157425 on: June 04, 2021, 07:20:18 am »

I made the mistake of looking up face reveals for Vtubers, and while I can't vouch for the accuracy of the video I got, I should have foreseen that it would lead to some mixed emotions. I mean, OF COURSE the faces behind the Japanese Hololive girls reveal ordinary, stereotypical Japanese women behind the avatars. Then you get ones like Gura or Kiara, who are even more interesting than their own avatars.

Overall, I feel like I shouldn't have, and I let my curiosity get the better of me.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #157426 on: June 04, 2021, 08:49:47 am »

I made the mistake of looking up face reveals for Vtubers, and while I can't vouch for the accuracy of the video I got, I should have foreseen that it would lead to some mixed emotions. I mean, OF COURSE the faces behind the Japanese Hololive girls reveal ordinary, stereotypical Japanese women behind the avatars. Then you get ones like Gura or Kiara, who are even more interesting than their own avatars.

Overall, I feel like I shouldn't have, and I let my curiosity get the better of me.

Pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157427 on: June 04, 2021, 09:25:16 am »

The cynic in me assumes they're all fat.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #157428 on: June 04, 2021, 10:02:27 am »

That seems awfully misogynistic to assume.

---

Peering behind the veil has that effect sometimes, for sure, like when you get the chance to noclip through a horror game to see all the spooky triggers, or get a developer commentary that's enlightening but demystifying. 'Course, that's the sort of thing you can do when you've 'completed' content and not lose much once the newness is spent, but I'd imagine that's kind of rough for anything that continues to have new content, like the vtubers.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157429 on: June 04, 2021, 10:09:45 am »

If it makes Roboto feel any better, the girls are dominantly on the thinner side. The assumption of being overweight doesn't make sense for the Japanese ones though, since the ordinary Japanese person is much likelier to be either thin, or downright scrawny, than otherwise.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157430 on: June 04, 2021, 10:59:30 am »

That seems awfully misogynistic to assume.

Sure, to the individual girls.

On the other hand, it's an industry about collecting money from attention starved men, to make an anime girl say their name or do something cute.  As a culture it's not something I have huge respect for.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157431 on: June 04, 2021, 11:15:35 am »

...So it's okay to assume that girls in the industry are fat, or the industry in general is fat, because it's about getting money from men? Girls that want men's money are fat? I'm not sure your other hand is helping matters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157432 on: June 04, 2021, 11:20:54 am »

I can definitely relate to this.  Well There's Your Problem podcast's Justin "Roz" sounds like a middle-aged lecturer but he's a pretty young dude.  And Liam "Yay Liam" Anderson sounds... thin, somehow, but he's a beefy dude.  Maybe it's some Philly accent thing.

The strangest example I can think of is probably Kitboga's eye reveal.  After seeing him with the shades on for so long, it's *super trippy* to even glance at the reveal image.  Eyes are such an important part of face recognition, I guess!  Also I think he does his old man voice himself, without a voice changer, which is astounding to me... even though I've witnessed what vocal training can do for other people.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157433 on: June 04, 2021, 11:22:48 am »

Would it be misomanistic to assume a bunch of guy nerds in the nerd business would be fat?
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157434 on: June 04, 2021, 11:45:13 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:53:56 pm by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157435 on: June 04, 2021, 11:51:33 am »

Would it be misomanistic to assume a bunch of guy nerds in the nerd business would be fat?

Of course not.  They're men so it's fine to ridicule their personal failings.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157436 on: June 04, 2021, 11:51:41 am »

Probably. From what I’ve seen, the stereotype has no basis in reality so it’s weird that you would make such an offensive assumption.

The only nerd thing that I know of that I see that stereotype being applied to are in tabletop and pen & paper gaming. Which are a subculture within a subculture.

The nerd stereotypes I’m familiar with are wimpy and awkward. Not fat.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157437 on: June 04, 2021, 12:19:30 pm »

I'm not even sure anyone made any such assumption? Or that being a nerd in the nerd business or being fat is a personal failing?

Also, why the whataboutism?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157438 on: June 04, 2021, 12:21:42 pm »

I would hypothesize that the country a person lives in is the strongest determinant to the likelihood of any given person being overweight or not. Unless the industry a person works in requires a certain body type, the place they live is deciding the likelihood of them being thin or fat. Every other consideration seems insignificant in comparison.

Each country has its own food and work culture, and the food industries present in each country are the ones deciding what is actually in each person's diet. The U.S. famously has the shittiest end of this stick, but even that varies depending on where in the U.S. is being considered, as each state is basically its own small country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #157439 on: June 04, 2021, 12:27:33 pm »

I feel it's worth mentioning that being thin wouldn't be jarringly mismatched with the vtuber aesthetic, so it's not as notable. For the VA for a cartoon sumo wrestler with a voice deeper than the Mariana and twice as gravelly you'd be surprised if he was 5'0 and weighed 40 kilos, for the opposite reason.

For some reason spending R5000 on a GPU seems like a reasonable thing to do, but spending the same amount on fencing kit seems unreasonable, even though I would probably use the kit more. Not sure why that is, but it's odd.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 10494 10495 [10496] 10497 10498 ... 11039