Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10456 10457 [10458] 10459 10460 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545672 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156855 on: May 02, 2021, 04:40:39 am »

I was thinking of the Mycon reading that too.
Then I got uncomfortable because yuuuck, that fungal vein infection in the news a few months ago... no thanks, no Juffo-wup for me please, in fact stop threatening all my tasty food.
Don´t google the Mucor or you wont sleep
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156856 on: May 02, 2021, 04:43:42 am »

Jokes on you it's already 5am and I dont have to sleep for another 17 hours!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156857 on: May 02, 2021, 10:04:04 am »

Complaining about Iced Coffee and Gifted Programs that don't teach crap.
...then found out after posting that it was in the "Happy Thread". I feel shame!  :'(

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156858 on: May 02, 2021, 10:05:39 am »

"No, don't be happy about that"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156859 on: May 02, 2021, 10:09:36 am »

More shame!  :D

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156860 on: May 02, 2021, 05:06:09 pm »

Today I learned that Windows 3.0 supported the 8088. Why? For what reason would you want to run an OS on a CPU that was already 11 years old at its release? And at a time where (I heard) you had to upgrade every 6 months to stay relevant.

I quite enjoy the cooperative multitasking rearing its ugly head while some games fail to load in the video. The entire system locks up, to the point that Ctrl + Alt + Del doesn't work. It's basically saying to a process, "Here's the entire CPU. Remember to give it back when you're done!", and those games never gave it back, it seems.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156861 on: May 02, 2021, 05:20:28 pm »

Which is why the computers of that era came with a hard reset button.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156862 on: May 02, 2021, 10:32:38 pm »

Dr Bashir and O'Brien doing time travel hijinks on the Original Series Enterprise:

*Fashionable blueshirt flirts with Bashir in the turbolift, leaves*
"Watley... that was my great-grandmother's name" lol I love this trope
"Funny." "And I think she was in Starfleet." hehe, it was good in DBZ Abridged too
"It's a common enough name." "But what if that was her?" "But do you realize the odds?" Yeah wacky huh
"No one ever met my great-grandfather." wait what
"This could be a predestination paradox." No, wait
"[...]I could be destined to fall in love with that woman" BASHIR
"and become my own great-grandfather." BASHIR STOP
"You're being ridiculous!" yes thanks O'Brien
"If I don't meet with her tomorrow, I may never be born!" bashir please don't cheat on garak with your great-grandmother
*Jadzia calls in* "Chief are you ready for transport?" "Are we ever!" ha glad that's over
"You saw the way she looked at me!  You can't just dismiss this." BASHIR I'M BEGGING
"I can try." you and me both O'Brien

Edit: And now my brain is reminding me against my will that, due to spoilers, this would have been actually *harmless* in Bashir's case, agh!
But what really gets me about the whole scene is just how much he isn't joking at all O_O
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:36:02 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156863 on: May 03, 2021, 12:35:25 am »

Today I learned that Windows 3.0 supported the 8088. Why? For what reason would you want to run an OS on a CPU that was already 11 years old at its release? And at a time where (I heard) you had to upgrade every 6 months to stay relevant.

It is important to note that plain DOS did not play all that well with 80286 processors or better for a long time, and Windows 2 (which had somewhat solved that problem) had been a poor seller because Windows 2 sucked. The CPU speed was fine, but what most users cared about was RAM. Because DOS was never meant as more than a quick-and-dirty OS for the first 5150s, and was supposed to be replaced with something better, it is limited to the same 1024 MB of memory that an 8088 can address. Microsoft was able to maximize this by consolidating system functions with a trick of the processor, but this imposed a hard ceiling. This means that DOS is locked at 640K of memory without special tricks. The first workaround was EMS, debuting in 1985. This involved a dedicated ISA card with RAM on it, that used bank switching to trick the computer into thinking it was only using 640K. Hardware EMS (not the later emulated EMS that many people from the 90s are familiar with) was compatible with an 8088 because of this cludge, limiting the value of a processor upgrade. A later bank switching solution that just used ordinary RAM, called XMS, worked much better but required a 286. For many users, XMS was the first reason to upgrade from an 8088. From what I can determine, XMS was publicly released in 1988. Much later, applications just started throwing DOS out of the way and ran in what amounted to an entirely seperate OS. This is what the ubiquitous "DOS4GW PROTECTED MODE RUNTIME" message many classic games once ran on startup meant.

This is a long-winded attempt to explain that, for most users in the late 80s, buying a 286 or 386 meant shelling out an extra several hundred dollars for something that provided them with no benefit whatsoever. The contemporary meme about constant updates was just that - a meme. Computers were incredibly expensive, and only the most obsessive people would replace perfectly good hardware with something that was often only a little better than what they had. You could still walk into a store in 1990 and buy a computer built around an 8088. There were huge numbers of workstations in active use that ran an 8088. Most importantly, the same setup that allowed Windows 3.0 to run on an 8088 also allowed it to run in Real Mode (the same 640K limited setup DOS uses) instead of the compatibility-breaking Protected Mode (which is what allows a 286 or later processor to access all your RAM without bank switching), giving it compatibility with a great deal of DOS software that would otherwise be unusable. This gave users, particularly businesses, an excellent bridge capability where they could use new software on their older machines and old software on their newer ones.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156864 on: May 03, 2021, 12:52:30 am »

day 3 of no sleep is getting interesting, the headless quails appearing around certain corners is getting weird tho.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156865 on: May 03, 2021, 12:53:57 am »

-snip-

Crap, I got my timeline mixed up. The "upgrade every 6 months" era would've been somewhere about 1996 to 2002, right? That's when PC tech advanced at rates never seen before and never seen since, if what I've heard is correct. But even then, apparently even the humble 386DX-40 (1991) was still usable "until the final years of the century.". I must've gotten most of my other info from gamers of that era, hence the constant need to upgrade they speak of.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156866 on: May 03, 2021, 02:28:12 am »

day 3 of no sleep is getting interesting, the headless quails appearing around certain corners is getting weird tho.

Are the screamers doing their screaming all the time? Or you could try to sleep in an isolated room, such as the bathroom or some closet. Or possibly in a wardrobe.

Edit: My WTF
Since I am currently copying my chrome data, I tried watching a youtube video in Internet Explorer.

IE outright refused to open the URL, instead calling Edge to do so. Why, oh why, is Microsoft distributing IE with their systems, if they program it to run their other browser whenever you try to use it?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:33:11 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156867 on: May 03, 2021, 03:32:35 am »

-snip-

Crap, I got my timeline mixed up. The "upgrade every 6 months" era would've been somewhere about 1996 to 2002, right? That's when PC tech advanced at rates never seen before and never seen since, if what I've heard is correct. But even then, apparently even the humble 386DX-40 (1991) was still usable "until the final years of the century.". I must've gotten most of my other info from gamers of that era, hence the constant need to upgrade they speak of.

There was a lot of talk about the rapid pace of change - there was even a TV commercial in the mid-90s showing a guy proudly driving home with a new computer (Some fake brand model 3) only to see a billboard for fakebrand model 4. The thing was that most users rarely upgraded. You bought a computer, then used it until it didn't work anymore. Most of the big PC boom in the 90s was people who didn't have a computer in the first place buying one. Any decent system cost big money - I'm finding vintage ads that put a Commodore PC XT clone at around $1300 in 1990, while their 286 PC clone was $2000. From a low-end brand in 1990 dollars.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156868 on: May 03, 2021, 03:36:03 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFZ1txwYWro
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156869 on: May 03, 2021, 06:06:12 am »

I never go past day 1.  The shadow spider on the wall creep-ed me out.
Pages: 1 ... 10456 10457 [10458] 10459 10460 ... 11037