Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10452 10453 [10454] 10455 10456 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545646 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156795 on: April 25, 2021, 02:14:15 pm »

Or maybe your roommate is affected by the Ramadan hamster syndrome? :P

Haramster. Not allowed to eat those. Halouf.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156796 on: April 25, 2021, 03:00:40 pm »

Or maybe your roommate is affected by the Ramadan hamster syndrome? :P

Haramster. Not allowed to eat those. Halouf.

If my reading of the literature is correct (and it probably isn't), hamster is haram by association (though keeping them as pets is allowed). They're rodents, and (street) rats are indeed explicitly haram themselves because they're pests.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156797 on: April 25, 2021, 04:35:26 pm »

I can't say I remember that term, but it's the one where people just overeat to a ridiculous extent when they're allowed to eat, right? I think I suffer from the water version of that. Can't say I'm too successful at that one. I'm gonna come out of this with a massive salt craving or pica to satisfy it. I'm already looking longingly at salt online.

In fact, the "Ramadan hamster syndrome" is a term I invented for joking purposes. I was just imagining hungry Muslims in time of Ramadan hoarding food during the day with the aim to eat it when they are allowed, like wild hamsters do in anticipation of winter, but I don't want to make a stereotype or anything.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156798 on: April 25, 2021, 05:47:43 pm »

Dorfromantik is the new Tetris
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156799 on: April 25, 2021, 05:54:16 pm »

So today I learned that not only was Dr. Fauci not imprisoned for the fraud he committed (lying about masks and other COVID stats to make sure people got sick, then telling people to ignore scientists because the vaccine only needs 50% of people to have it), he's still employed. Very successful use of the Nuremberg Defense, which most of the world sees as invalid.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156800 on: April 25, 2021, 06:04:11 pm »

So today I learned that not only was Dr. Fauci not imprisoned for the fraud he committed (lying about masks and other COVID stats to make sure people got sick, then telling people to ignore scientists because the vaccine only needs 50% of people to have it), he's still employed. Very successful use of the Nuremberg Defense, which most of the world sees as invalid.

. . . . . ?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156801 on: April 25, 2021, 06:04:20 pm »

What the fuck are you talking about?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156802 on: April 25, 2021, 07:46:33 pm »

a) I think that should go into the COVID thread.
b) [citation needed]

With that out of the way,
In fact, the "Ramadan hamster syndrome" is a term I invented for joking purposes. I was just imagining hungry Muslims in time of Ramadan hoarding food during the day with the aim to eat it when they are allowed, like wild hamsters do in anticipation of winter, but I don't want to make a stereotype or anything.

I can't really speak for other people (look at me, I'm a total deviant), but I don't have that urge. The last thing I want to see when fasting is to see food and drink. Like, no, please do not show me food. I cannot eat food. I refuse to go into places that sell food and drink while fasting for this reason. Too tempting. I must be an outlier in this regard; I see lots of people going about their days, buying food for later while fasting.

Which is exactly what some of my roommates have experienced. They've worked in restaurants, preparing food that they can't eat, and because some customers were non-Muslims, they'd have to watch them eat food, while they can't eat. That's my sort of hell. I don't think I'd have that kind of willpower.

My roommates and I seemed to have experienced what it's like to be under that form of stress on the receiving end, too. We ordered 2 pizzas, and the slicing was just nothing short of a masterpiece. It was so uneven. Some slices were absolutely tiny, and some were, like, twice the size of a standard slice. Whoever sliced it probably did it with their eyes closed, took one look at it at the end, and was like "Screw it, that's close enough, right?"

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #156803 on: April 25, 2021, 08:27:24 pm »

Frankly, that's exactly the kind of pizza slicing I'd like to see, since then you can choose more or less arbitrarily exactly how much pizza you want to eat instead of having to choke down more of a uniform piece than desired.

I might also be at a 'fondly asymmetrical' point in my life, though, if that makes any sense.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156804 on: April 25, 2021, 11:40:39 pm »

So, I just noticed all this food I just bought at 11pm, and started to consume afterwards.  I didn't eat anything during the day.

...Hey, I must be Muslim!  Yay!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #156805 on: April 25, 2021, 11:48:07 pm »

My roommates and I seemed to have experienced what it's like to be under that form of stress on the receiving end, too. We ordered 2 pizzas, and the slicing was just nothing short of a masterpiece. It was so uneven. Some slices were absolutely tiny, and some were, like, twice the size of a standard slice. Whoever sliced it probably did it with their eyes closed, took one look at it at the end, and was like "Screw it, that's close enough, right?"

I mean, once you're done and looking at the finished product, there's not much to do but say "Screw it, that's close enough, right?".

I don't really think having a Can Do attitude, looking down at the asymmetric pizza monster you've just hacked into existence like a crazed surgeon, and thinking "... I can fix this." will yield any better results.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156806 on: April 25, 2021, 11:55:17 pm »

What is cut is cut and shall not be un-cut.  The Pizza cutting motto.

If it really bothers you, just cut the big pieces in half.  I once got a pizza that wasn't cut AT ALL.  I actually had to cut my own pizza.  It was good though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156807 on: April 26, 2021, 04:58:10 am »

I actually had to cut my own pizza.  It was good though.

How barbaric! Here, I once ordered a pizza that was so cut that they'd even cut the box as well, and the bottom suffered some structural instability.

Now that's service!

...Hey, I must be Muslim!  Yay!

#accidentallyhalal

Ramadan is always a weird time up in the northern climes like Norway. Luckily it's in spring this time around, but in years where it falls in the middle of summer we tend to have a lot of health issues due to people being unable to eat or drink for 18-20 hours a day. It's worse even farther north, where you end up with about 30 minutes of darkness (or just twilight, with the sun never even dipping completely below the horizon). This of course turns on its head during winter, and you hardly get any sunlight at all.

Thankfully, several of the mullahs and imams here have agreed upon a compromise, where they just treat a 24-hour period as having the same ratio of day to night as it is in Mecca, which is considerably more balanced than the actual conditions up here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156808 on: April 26, 2021, 06:34:15 am »

I actually had to cut my own pizza.  It was good though.

How barbaric! Here, I once ordered a pizza that was so cut that they'd even cut the box as well, and the bottom suffered some structural instability.

Now that's service!
Cut pizza, ha. More than once I've just folded a pizza in half and ate the thing as is, no cut necessary.

... it's basically just making a very lazy, very large calzone, tbh. Good stuff.

e: You can also roll one up like a newspaper for a lazy person's pizza wrap, yo'. The ways of eating pizza are many and varied.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:44:07 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156809 on: April 26, 2021, 07:13:55 am »

How large were those pizzas you converted into calzones/pizza wraps? I could imagine, like, a 7-inch one, but anything larger sounds uncomfortable. Like, that can't be a healthy amount of pizza to eat at once, though I guess it depends on how much crust there is.
Pages: 1 ... 10452 10453 [10454] 10455 10456 ... 11037