Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10450 10451 [10452] 10453 10454 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545625 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156765 on: April 23, 2021, 12:22:02 pm »

sounds like resting bitch face :)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156766 on: April 23, 2021, 12:25:10 pm »

sounds like resting bitch face :)

You'd be surprised the number of people who get disgusted or even hateful just because you don't emote correctly or at all.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156767 on: April 23, 2021, 12:51:26 pm »

You'd be surprised the number of people who get disgusted or even hateful just because you don't emote correctly or at all.

There's at least 2 ways to encode and decode emotion externally, visually and audibly. I can neither encode nor decode the visual part consciously (though my parents tell me that I can emote visually now, seemingly triggered by emotion instead of actively thinking about it), but I can do the audio part. Hell, I'm leaning as hard as possible on the audio part here; I subvocalize my posts during editing, and choosing my words so that they sound like I'm emoting even in text. I don't know if it works, though.

Why is it that people don't understand there's 2 redundant systems that play the role of encoding and decoding emotions externally? If one fails, use the other one! That's entirely what it's for! Have they never talked over the phone in their lives?!

...faces, and in general bodies, are a big thing, I guess. I only use those as identifiers, ones that I'll happily discard if I can get away with a less-complex identifier (faces especially; have you seen faces?). I don't know how to assign any higher meaning to that.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156768 on: April 23, 2021, 01:23:06 pm »

I'd like to live wherever you are that politics isn't a regular cause for WTF. Must be nice.
Actually, politics is almost always a cause for WTF where I live, so I empathize with you. Politics is/has ruined the country I live in and I'm so sick of it that I just want it all to go away. Personally, I despise politics and what it collectively has done to the world throughout history and will just leave it at that.

Please understand my comments were not directed at you or anyone else in a personal way, just at the thread taking a political turn. Methylatedspirit and Vector gave the reasoning for not having politics in this thread better than I ever could, and I thank them. 
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156769 on: April 23, 2021, 02:52:14 pm »

While my mom was taking me to work this morning, at one intersection a few blocks from my house, we see a large convoy of SWAT vehicles pass by. At least a dozen, going by at around 45MPH. My mom decides to follow them, at speed. She slows down to drive right through their staging area, in the street in front of the house they were raiding. Only when the SWAT team starts getting their shields out does she realize it might be a better idea to actually get out of a probable line of fire and speeds up.

I later learned that the cops did indeed open fire very soon after we got out of there, when the occupants of the house sent their dogs out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156770 on: April 23, 2021, 05:07:09 pm »

Wow! There's rubbernecking as you drive past and then there's that O_o
Glad you got out of there!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156771 on: April 23, 2021, 08:04:47 pm »

When you go to delete something from your desktop and miss the recycle bin, putting everything one space over from where you expect everything to be.

Also, the reminder that I really need to clean up the desktop is NOT APPRECIATED.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156772 on: April 23, 2021, 09:26:13 pm »

When you go to delete something from your desktop and miss the recycle bin, putting everything one space over from where you expect everything to be.

Also, the reminder that I really need to clean up the desktop is NOT APPRECIATED.

*5 minutes of copying everything you wanted to delete*

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #156773 on: April 23, 2021, 09:40:35 pm »

The handy-dandy delete key on your keyboard will recycle whatever files you have selected quite handily, in case you forgot where your recycle bin went or your finger is prone to slipping(guilty). I think shift-delete totally subverts the recycle bin and just nukes the files, too, in case something needs to extra disappear right now.

--

The local antique store is going out of business, so their shtick today was 'bring a box and you can fill it for five bucks.' Quite happily, I got a few vases and pots I'm looking to put houseplants in now that I can safely shop in the flesh for plants, but among the artefacts I brought home is a 'Real Soft Toy' bear that I'm 25% sure is haunted.

It's got a benign, if slightly asymmetrical look, didn't get picked out by anyone else, seems relatively free of the dust and grime that accosted a few of the other pieces I bought, and it's living on my spare chair now. If I never post again, it's snapped my neck and left out the window for its next victim.

Also, it's totally fun to open a conversation with 'Hey, so I bought this, ah, 'Real Soft Toy (great for people who like bears!)' the other day, much like it was to open with 'I got pooped on while polishing my two-foot rail spike.' It might actually be a bridge spike, I'm not really sure, but I fished it out of the bottom of a river and it's got layers of rust to be worn away and a bird deffo pooped on my leather jacket while I was at it.

Apparently submerging the thing in vinegar will help to dislodge the rust, but I don't exactly have a receptacle to hold it without going nuts on the vinegar budget, so I guess I'll stick to scrubbing. Why derust it anyways? I dunno! It's neat, I found it, maybe I'll make a magic wand out of it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156774 on: April 23, 2021, 09:50:47 pm »

polishing my two-foot rail spike

Is that what they call it...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156775 on: April 23, 2021, 09:52:31 pm »

I think Stephen King does in The Shining? Ogh, this takes me way back. That is the joke, though, yes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156776 on: April 23, 2021, 10:26:11 pm »

The handy-dandy delete key on your keyboard will recycle whatever files you have selected quite handily, in case you forgot where your recycle bin went or your finger is prone to slipping(guilty). I think shift-delete totally subverts the recycle bin and just nukes the files, too, in case something needs to extra disappear right now.

In case you need something to extra-extra disappear, you'll need a file shredder program. I don't use them myself, but Eraser seems okay. The algorithms used in shredding are for hard drives, so those don't need any warning.

Now, on SSDs, anything that uses overwrite patterns needs a disclaimer: choose only the least aggressive option (fewest passes, but not "zero-out") available if it's not there. On SSDs, once they've erased a block, it's basically gone. You don't need to overwrite it over and over to fully clear it out. Just enable TRIM, which is already enabled if you're on anything Windows 7 and later. However, whatever data you've shredded may still remain in its internal cache for some time.

ATA Secure Erase is the only non-destructive way to be sure that you've erased all data on an SSD, and even then it might not be implemented right. There's no way to do this on a file level.

SSDs aren't for paranoid folk; go with HDDs if you really want to be able to destroy the drive and all its data by smashing its platter(s) to tiny bits, sticking it in a degausser (magnets do not count; you need some strong-ass magnetism), or other suitably-destructive methods. It's the only way to be sure.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 10:48:35 pm by methylatedspirit »

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156777 on: April 23, 2021, 10:34:39 pm »

Yes! Absolutely! That takes me back to my university days of running Derrik's Boot and Nuke on surplussed workstations and hard drives to prep them for sale or recycling. When 'toasters' weren't enough to slay HDDs clean in good time, we'd rig up a workstation with an extra four hard drives or so (good ol' Optiplex 780) and bring on the thumb drive of digital pressure washing. Double-triple-quadruple that up to a video switch if we had a backlog.

May you always be as inquisitive and motivated as you are about the digital mediums, methylatedspirit. Your databending and cognizance of the bits fills me with a joy and wonder for the inquisitivity I may never possess myself.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156778 on: April 23, 2021, 10:39:55 pm »

Now, on SSDs, anything that uses overwrite patterns needs a disclaimer: choose only the least aggressive option (fewest passes, but not "zero-out") available if it's not there. On SSDs, once they've erased a block, it's basically gone. You don't need to overwrite it over and over to fully clear it out. Just enable TRIM, which is already enabled if you're on anything Windows 7 and later. However, whatever data you've shredded may still remain in its internal cache for some time.

Actually I think overwriting a file on an SSD, because of wear leveling, is likely to erase some other unused block and just mark the original as unused, updating the table for mapping blocks. The original data is likely to be there. Nothing stopping you from just smashing the SSD though. Or issue a Secure Erase command like you said which is generally pretty quick.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156779 on: April 23, 2021, 10:45:02 pm »

Yes! Absolutely! That takes me back to my university days of running Derrik's Boot and Nuke on surplussed workstations and hard drives to prep them for sale or recycling. When 'toasters' weren't enough to slay HDDs clean in good time, we'd rig up a workstation with an extra four hard drives or so (good ol' Optiplex 780) and bring on the thumb drive of digital pressure washing. Double-triple-quadruple that up to a video switch if we had a backlog.

Hey, if you ever wanna run DBAN, but your system can't boot from BIOS for whatever reason and you don't have a spare BIOS-supporting system, try ShredOS x86_64. Hell, if you're running Linux already, just install nwipe, available at all your favorite software repositories. They're actually based on DBAN's source code after DBAN was abandoned. The magic of open-source, everyone.

Actually I think overwriting a file on an SSD, because of wear leveling, is likely to erase some other unused block and just mark the original as unused, updating the table for mapping blocks. The original data is likely to be there. Nothing stopping you from just smashing the SSD though. Or issue a Secure Erase command like you said which is generally pretty quick.

Crap. I forgot about that. You don't get block-level access to SSDs like you do with HDDs. It's all abstracted away. I keep forgetting. Welp, at that point, I'll amend it to "ATA Secure Erase is the only non-destructive way to erase all data on an SSD, and even then it might not be implemented right". If you wanna go the destructive route, you're gonna need to be damn good at smashing SSDs. I'd suggest a jackhammer.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 10:54:09 pm by methylatedspirit »
Pages: 1 ... 10450 10451 [10452] 10453 10454 ... 11037