Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10444 10445 [10446] 10447 10448 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547778 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156675 on: April 15, 2021, 03:32:52 pm »

For some reason, even though I'm not in sales or management, I have to take a corporate training class on "avoiding bribery in international officials."

And the training course is video-based, and you can't skip it.  So what should take me about 5 minutes takes me half an hour.

They are also so trivially bad... I almost want to intentionally score a zero %.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156676 on: April 15, 2021, 03:43:25 pm »

The real question is, how much are you willing to pay to pass the class?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156677 on: April 15, 2021, 03:46:40 pm »

hahahaha awesome.

Actually, these tests are kind of evil - they will often ask questions, but only tell the answer on the slide after the question. So you do kind of need "common sense" to get them correct.

So far the only question I've gotten "incorrect" I feel like they had the wrong answer. It was a cybersecurity test, and they said that it was acceptable to have a child use your work laptop if you made a separate login for them.  I'm like... uh no physical access to a computer is a definite security risk...especially with letting your child use it.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156678 on: April 15, 2021, 03:51:07 pm »

Users are a security risk already, no need to also grant access to someone that will download every malware in every games website ever.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156679 on: April 15, 2021, 04:55:43 pm »

"(...) The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do: and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot."

I think this quote's relavant. I wouldn't trust an adult with my work laptop, but I'd trust a child even less. Hell, if it was my child, they might forward information to people who really shouldn't be getting it because they think it's Mom/Dad/whoever they're talking to. Or they might make private information on a company website public. It's like the class wants you to leak data.

I don't even care if it's on a different account; do they know how many accounts a working adult has? Are you really gonna sign out on all of them? There's so many ways this could go wrong.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156680 on: April 16, 2021, 01:11:47 am »

That quote implies the ignorant antagonist is better than the second-best swordsman because he can be more unpredictable, so he's really the second-best swordsman.  :) If he is really doing what he ought not to do, then how come he comes out ahead for it?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156681 on: April 16, 2021, 01:13:42 am »

Doing surprisingly well in school and ignition of my interest in passion projects both new and old have lined up for me tonight, and honestly my ADHD brain is going wild trying to contain excitement and ideas. I'm reading a 40k book to deal with it, but it is making me ANXIOUS that I will crash at a very inopportune time and once again torpedo a semester's worth of effort.

Wasn't sure what thead to post this in? So uh, it's here!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156682 on: April 16, 2021, 01:14:42 am »

Back it up!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156683 on: April 16, 2021, 01:19:38 am »

The untrained assailant, knowing nothing, may bypass your defenses, yet can't really meaningfully defend himself, either. So it's a bit of a crapshoot, isn't it?
Perhaps this is why it's a good idea to wear good armor while you're slaughtering peasants. You can't really prevent them from getting hits in, but once the odd blow stops mattering so much to you you outclass them easily?

McGee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #156684 on: April 16, 2021, 06:49:25 am »

It was a sudden event today. I woke up with my hamster squeaking loudly. When I approached, he calmly went to bed. WTF?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156685 on: April 16, 2021, 07:06:30 am »

That quote implies the ignorant antagonist is better than the second-best swordsman because he can be more unpredictable, so he's really the second-best swordsman.  :) If he is really doing what he ought not to do, then how come he comes out ahead for it?

This is why all martial arts competitions need to have at least one participant that is just an angry guy with a sharpened spoon.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156686 on: April 16, 2021, 09:58:16 am »

The untrained assailant, knowing nothing, may bypass your defenses, yet can't really meaningfully defend himself, either. So it's a bit of a crapshoot, isn't it?
Perhaps this is why it's a good idea to wear good armor while you're slaughtering peasants. You can't really prevent them from getting hits in, but once the odd blow stops mattering so much to you you outclass them easily?

From the little I know about martial arts, that's why 'good' fighting styles focus the bulk of their attention on speedy attacks with a long reach. Striking first, and striking from outside your opponent's effective range, is the best way to assure victory with the smallest chance of an upset. Boxing emphasizes jabbing with proper defense and footwork, jeet kune do emphasizes kicking with the use of your legs' longer reach, and if you start to include weapons, you'd want a spear or a long stick, anything to keep your opponent as far away from you can possible.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #156687 on: April 16, 2021, 11:07:17 am »

Doing surprisingly well in school and ignition of my interest in passion projects both new and old have lined up for me tonight, and honestly my ADHD brain is going wild trying to contain excitement and ideas. I'm reading a 40k book to deal with it, but it is making me ANXIOUS that I will crash at a very inopportune time and once again torpedo a semester's worth of effort.

Wasn't sure what thead to post this in? So uh, it's here!

"I read 40k to calm down."

Heh.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #156688 on: April 16, 2021, 05:10:59 pm »

The gotdamn company i used to work for never sent me a w2 and I finally found out why; they outsourced writing up and mailing their employees w2s to a different company. But nobody i talked to on the phone at corporate could mention this until I finally, after dozens of calls and being transferred around got through to the tax office without being hung up on/dropped by the cell service which is abysmal in these mountains. Then I called this other company, first time got through to some woman with a southern accent so I presume she was American but that call got cut off. Every time after that I get women from India, because of course we'll outsource our goddamn private information regarding taxes and my identity to a foreign country. I give them the name of the company I work for, nope, sorry that doesn't match what it says in their database. They're nitpicking because I didn't use the correct nomenclature when referring to them. So I have to get on Google and look up their official corporate name and give them that before they'll let me continue. But then they want my address, and I give it to them, but again I didn't say it /exactly/ like the hr manager wrote it down, so they refuse to let me continue, but they admit i told them the correct city, the correct street, the correct zip code, they're fucking nitpicking because I said 1111 apartment c instead of 1111c. I had to fucking clarify for them how American street addresses work before they admit I was right and let me continue. By then I've called them three separate times. Now they want even more identifying information, they gotta ask me fucking questions. How old is my dad, where does my brother currently live, what month was my mother born in, which towns have I lived in previously. And of course I have to take this quiz twice, because I got an answer wrong. Some woman in India knows how old my father is and where my brother lives, which is probably what I got wrong because we don't talk anymore. They know where I lived while I was in high school. They know what address is on my driver's license. I don't even know how the American corporation they're filling in for got all this info about my family. Only I worked for the company that outsourced their taxes. I am livid at this point. But it gets worse. They demand a $25 fee for sending first class mail through USPS. It would cost me like $2 to send an envelope with a piece of paper first class to someone anywhere in the country. Are they fucking printing it out in India and sending it by air or some bullshit? Of course I ain't paying for that, so I get to wait 2 more weeks. My taxes are already past due and I still don't have a goddamn w2 from these fuckwads that couldn't be arsed to just mail it to me themselves or let me pick it up in the office. No, gotta call corporate. Who also can't do shit.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156689 on: April 16, 2021, 05:22:10 pm »

I was under the impression that taxes this year have been pushed back until next month.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10444 10445 [10446] 10447 10448 ... 11038