Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10436 10437 [10438] 10439 10440 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14550596 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156555 on: April 07, 2021, 10:24:25 am »

Vampire spider?
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156556 on: April 07, 2021, 03:52:47 pm »

If by 'vampire' you mean 'sucking out your liquefied innards like jelly', then yes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156557 on: April 07, 2021, 03:53:20 pm »

$24 where I live is basically half a weeks' food for one person (I budget $50/person/week in my household for groceries).  So clearly $1 in my town does not mean the same thing as $1 for LordBaal - it feels like a meaningless comparison to even use "dollar."  I mean from what it sounds like you are using physical US dollars for currency, but they don't "mean" the same thing...

you can feed yourself about £3/week here but it is miserable in variety standards. i mean if you have the money for food then you're not gonna live on pasta, bread, potato, the occasional onion etc. but yeah you will survive easily on it. but its basically a pride thing at that point since there's foodbanks available and dumpsters to pick.

£10 is actually doable for a varied diet, tho £20 will get you lots of meat and cheese and stuff. i know people that spend like £50/week (and extra on eating out). i don't know how they manage that unless they're eating steak and lobsters each day though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156558 on: April 07, 2021, 03:55:17 pm »

See, to me $40/week on food is only doable if youre eating ramen every day.  It'd have to all be empty calories.

I spend a lot on fresh fruit.  Not the most expensive item, but it adds up when you eat salads for dinner, fruit for breakfast, and protein shakes for lunch.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156559 on: April 07, 2021, 04:01:06 pm »

See, to me $40/week on food is only doable if youre eating ramen every day.  It'd have to all be empty calories.

I spend a lot on fresh fruit.  Not the most expensive item, but it adds up when you eat salads for dinner, fruit for breakfast, and protein shakes for lunch.

Yeah. Meat is butt-cheap (subsidized), veggies are reasonably affordable. But man, fruit is expensive. 6 euros for a 200gr bowl of blueberries? You kidding me?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156560 on: April 07, 2021, 04:02:08 pm »

you have to consider that fruit is a luxury food though. it's kind of expected to be expensive.

nah, ramen is way too expensive for that. ~0.50 minimum per serving of 100g fried noodles when you can get 1kg+ dry rice and have change left over. 10x calories for the same price.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:13:39 pm by Caz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156561 on: April 07, 2021, 04:14:05 pm »

Yes and no. If fruit got as much subsidies as meat did, it would be butt cheap
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156562 on: April 07, 2021, 04:31:06 pm »

Y'know, I don't know exactly what I was expecting with these vanilla meringue candy things, but them being slightly solid cotton candy wasn't it.

I'm not complaining mind (save the whole holy shit I'm going to eat these and probably shouldn't thing), but it was not at all expected.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156563 on: April 07, 2021, 05:03:59 pm »

You know meringue is basically just egg and sugar, right?

I spend a lot of money (relatively speaking) on food. Mostly, it goes towards acquisition of variety & freshness.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156564 on: April 07, 2021, 05:20:41 pm »

Cotton candy's just sugar and sugar though! I've had meringue before, but... not meringue that melts into cotton candy in my mouth. Which is what these things do.
Ask not!
Ask!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156565 on: April 07, 2021, 05:41:03 pm »

Food pricing can make very little sense. A friend once told me about a supermarket that sold bacon for the same price by weight as rice. And not by charging an unusual amount for rice.
One wheel short of a wagon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #156566 on: April 07, 2021, 08:02:18 pm »

Got rear-ended by a cop on the way to pick up keys for my new apartment. Traffic came to a sudden stop, in the rain. I was paying attention. He wasn't. Probably too busy running my plates or something.

He couldn't have been older than 25. I'm sure he was shitting bricks when he walked up and saw I had an arm in a cast.

Called his sergeant in. Sat there for probably 45 minutes. Long enough the office to my new apartment closed for the day.

Luckily, so fucking luckily for this cop, he did next to zero damage. It's raining, so maybe I couldn't see any scratches or scuffs on the wet bumper, but the worst I saw was the bumper attachment on the left side popped out a little, and I hit it with my fist and it popped right back into place. I still got their insurance information, the sergeant overseeing it told me to probably go get it checked out anyways. Might try to get the city to replace my bumper.

I was super nice to them. They were both clearly mortified at the situation, which always makes it easier for me to be chill.

Inside though.....I'm kinda at my breaking point and starting to feel sorry for myself. I'm in mild to moderate pain and discomfort all the time right now, my life is in boxes, all my routines are disrupted, everything takes twice as long to do and things I could enjoy I now can't because of the arm (hard to decompress in a hot shower with a trashbag on one arm that you have to keep elevated for fear of the cast getting wet).....I'm in the heart of the chaos and I'd like off this ride for a little while. Just give me like....two weeks of no insane / demanding things happening please.

After the cop hit me and we parked and talked, I kinda just sat in my car texting for a minute or two. Didn't even want to get out to see how bad the damage was, because if the rear end was trashed I was going to be in a bad way. I knew by the hit (I have been in more car collisions for one reason or another than most people on average are) the damage wasn't bad. But I still needed to work up the nerve to get out and actually look.

The whole situation reminds me of when I was 16, newly had my driver's license. I was on a hill at a light, driving a manual transmission and hadn't yet quite got the hang of it yet. Rolled back about half a car length.....boom. Right into a cop sitting behind me. Cop wanted to strangle me but he let me off with a warning. I guess now, 24ish years later, we've come full circle.

Straight up though, no more things. NO MORE FOR FUCK'S SAKE.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:26:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156567 on: April 07, 2021, 10:21:12 pm »

Well. Good luck with a break. Here's hoping that didn't successfully taunt murphy...

Though I kinda' feel you. I haven't been able to sleep in for the last, uh. Four years? I think? Not once. I get the whole please-stop-for-a-while feeling.

... and I won't get to sleep in until my grandfather dies or gets put in a long term care facility of some sort, so it's one of those deeply conflicted gods-this-is-fucking-exhausting-but-it-also-means-people-aren't-dead dealios :-\
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:25:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156568 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:48 am »

YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156569 on: April 08, 2021, 08:24:54 am »

Look, I know Intel's trying to make GPUs now. I don't think making generalized RTX Voice is necessarily the correct step to showing off their power. I bet part of the training data is literally just hate comments directed at Intel, and specifically only Intel. I like to think that at maximum settings, "10th gen", "11th gen", "11900K" are all considered swears, especially when spoken in close succession with "sucks", "Bulldozer", "heat"...
Pages: 1 ... 10436 10437 [10438] 10439 10440 ... 11038