Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10421 10422 [10423] 10424 10425 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555172 times)

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156330 on: March 25, 2021, 10:33:10 am »

It is the second time now that I am prepared for the exams and the govt in my country decides to delay them into may due to third wave of covid.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156331 on: March 25, 2021, 10:38:50 am »

I think they work like automatics and have a updown stick on the console, behind the stering wheel or between the seats?

As I understand yes, they dont have a gear box as the motors themselves are attached to each wheel.

Automatics are somewhat slower or faster to shift gear depending on how you drive your stick. Automatics change gears mainly depending on your speed and RPM, so in theory an automatic gearbox would make perfect shift of gears, at least according to the manufacturer.

But yes, there migth be situations were you want to accelerate with far more strength that an automatic would allow, specially a faulty one, that a manual stick would allow you to do, even if is not optimal.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #156332 on: March 25, 2021, 10:46:01 am »

emprah is lamer than literally every other god, even the chaos dorks
local man too tired to leave chair is the GOAT of gods

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156333 on: March 25, 2021, 01:05:40 pm »

emprah is lamer than literally every other god, even the chaos dorks
local man too tired to leave chair is the GOAT of gods
Sign me up!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156334 on: March 25, 2021, 02:37:26 pm »

I think they work like automatics and have a updown stick on the console, behind the stering wheel or between the seats?

As I understand yes, they dont have a gear box as the motors themselves are attached to each wheel.

Automatics are somewhat slower or faster to shift gear depending on how you drive your stick. Automatics change gears mainly depending on your speed and RPM, so in theory an automatic gearbox would make perfect shift of gears, at least according to the manufacturer.

But yes, there migth be situations were you want to accelerate with far more strength that an automatic would allow, specially a faulty one, that a manual stick would allow you to do, even if is not optimal.

A great example:

Your brakes have failed, and you need to go from 60mph to 5mph, to stopped, VERY GODDAMN FAST. 

You can remove your foot from the gas, then downshift through your gears rapidly, and do engine braking, then deploy the hand brake for the last bit of stop before putting it in park.

Good luck doing that with an automatic transmission. 

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156335 on: March 25, 2021, 02:41:05 pm »

Ohh yeah! That is actually a pretty good example. Your gearbox will be end up most likely destroyed if its too sudden but it's cheaper than the whole car and better than killing people/dying.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156336 on: March 25, 2021, 02:47:39 pm »

A great example:

Your brakes have failed, and you need to go from 60mph to 5mph, to stopped, VERY GODDAMN FAST. 

You can remove your foot from the gas, then downshift through your gears rapidly, and do engine braking, then deploy the hand brake for the last bit of stop before putting it in park.

Good luck doing that with an automatic transmission. 
Good luck doing so with several motors rather than an engine. As I understand electric cars, they do not have gears and not pressing the gas pedal would just not accelerate, as an electric motor has minimal resistance when unpowered.
EDIT: Mechanical resistance, or not electric. Though it's impedance is probably also pretty low, as most of it comes from inductance.
But not having a gearbox, you could instead try setting reverse and going. No gearbox to break from the sudden pulse, and the motors would slow you down quickly.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 03:02:53 pm by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156337 on: March 25, 2021, 03:41:46 pm »

Good luck trying to do that with a fucking touchscreen.

Electric cars still have conventional brakes however.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #156338 on: March 25, 2021, 05:05:33 pm »

Good luck trying to do that with a fucking touchscreen.

Electric cars still have conventional brakes however.
When the CIA sends the remote kill command, there's zero chance of stopping the car before it hurls you into a tree  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156339 on: March 25, 2021, 06:21:01 pm »

Just in case, the seats will be dusted with polonium too.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156340 on: March 26, 2021, 07:42:18 am »

You forgot the airbag filled with novichok.
:)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #156341 on: March 26, 2021, 08:20:19 am »

If we're really in this for the guarantees, just replace the airbag with a claymore mine. Or replace the bag part with a pack of nails, same thing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156342 on: March 26, 2021, 08:46:31 am »

If we're really in this for the guarantees, just replace the airbag with a claymore mine. Or replace the bag part with a pack of nails, same thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156343 on: March 26, 2021, 09:36:54 am »

Just nuke it from orbit...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156344 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:32 am »

cruise missile control
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 10421 10422 [10423] 10424 10425 ... 11039