Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10410 10411 [10412] 10413 10414 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555142 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156165 on: March 13, 2021, 10:26:59 pm »

How so? Isn't game mechanics mostly what matters in a fighting game?

A) The biggest issue was the roster.  It was much smaller than 3, much less 2.  Marvel, at the time, lacked media rights to fantastic four and more importantly X-men.  This means no wolverine, no magneto, no sentinel, for example.  The marvel side mostly stuck to MCU stuff.  The devs tried to defend this by saying that the major mechanics were still there (ie Captain Marvel has the same dash system Magneto had), which is fine competitive wise, but casuals want to see everyone fight everyone, because it's a big dumb crossover game.

B) The artstyle is ugly, just oddly realistic in wrong ways.  Haggar and Hulk are all veiny for some reason.  Everyone's face is off.  Only one that looks right is venom, because weird n veiny actually works for him.

C) Terrible, cheesy story mode.  Yeah, story in a fighting game who cares, but the dialog is just...what.  Megaman's Sigma and Marvel's Ultron team up to exterminate humanity in two dimensions because why not.  They need the infinity gems stones to do this.  Our heroes need to team up to stop them.

D) The character select screen was an even 50/50 split between marvel and capcom... up till you got the DLC.  Then winter soldier just sort of leaks into the capcom side, ruining a perfectly straight diving line.

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156166 on: March 13, 2021, 11:03:56 pm »

I always find it deeply fascinating when people say stuff like this. What is it about the morality of these kinds of fictional scenarios that makes you feel so strongly? I can't even imagine being unwilling to play a game because it involved fictional rape or murder or whatever. Honestly, it's often a plus (eg, Crusader Kings, which has both in spades).

Personally, I don't enjoy dark subject matter in my media, but I don't have a fundamental problem with it, as long as it takes it seriously and treats it with the respect it deserves. I dunno, I just don't like it. I'm not gonna stop you, I think everyone should be given the freedom to do whatever they want, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I can't properly isolate my feelings with the feelings of the characters depicted. You can call that "empathy", but it's basically direct access to memory. No security. No virtualization. I'm sure there's a hypnosis exploit somewhere in here.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156167 on: March 13, 2021, 11:20:14 pm »

I always find it deeply fascinating when people say stuff like this. What is it about the morality of these kinds of fictional scenarios that makes you feel so strongly? I can't even imagine being unwilling to play a game because it involved fictional rape or murder or whatever. Honestly, it's often a plus (eg, Crusader Kings, which has both in spades).

Personally, I don't enjoy dark subject matter in my media, but I don't have a fundamental problem with it, as long as it takes it seriously and treats it with the respect it deserves. I dunno, I just don't like it. I'm not gonna stop you, I think everyone should be given the freedom to do whatever they want, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I can't properly isolate my feelings with the feelings of the characters depicted. You can call that "empathy", but it's basically direct access to memory. No security. No virtualization. I'm sure there's a hypnosis exploit somewhere in here.

I feel like playing as a company that profits off of an abusive union may hit a little too close to home considering the current state of the world. You could try to mitigate those feelings with some black comedy (which it seems like this was trying to be), but maybe you just don't have much of a sense of humour.

Truth is, fucked up shit happens all the time, and the only reason why we're able to cope is because we're able to momentarily forget and ignore those unpleasant parts of reality. Maybe that's harder for you.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156168 on: March 13, 2021, 11:30:47 pm »

I personally thought the bigger squick factor was treating evidently sentient humanoids with complex tool use, living in settlements, as "monsters" that could be trained/raised/ranched/whatever.

EDIT: I consume plenty of problematic and dark content, knowingly or unknowingly. I guess that the usual deciding factor for what I'm willing to read or not read would be along the lines of what we could call the "loss.jpg test:" is the problematic stuff there just to add overplayed flavor to some boring lead's story? If so, I'll probably skip it.

I don't particularly balk at, for example, all or even most depictions of rape, but I don't watch MCU stuff anymore because I didn't like them fridging their One Queer Character (Loki) and Captain America refusing the evil UN oversight. People have weird lines that they draw.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:57:40 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156169 on: March 14, 2021, 04:09:00 am »

Oh hey, finally found the accidental sexual assault roll. And it's in the revised edition too, not just the first draft.

Damn, that would've been nice to include as part of the presentation.

However, the guys in the Reddit thread hadn't read the rules correctly and their experience wasn't kosher per RAW.

I am deeply saddened by the fact that I now know enough about the book to understand this.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156170 on: March 14, 2021, 04:29:48 am »

On a unrelated note. I FUCKING HATE DOING PLUMBING WORK. F.U.C.K.I.N.G H.A.T.E. I.T.
I also hate pluming recently, because my pipes recently broke because of a winter storm and when I had fixed them and turned the water back on there were leaks in almost every joint I had fixed and a few others I hadn't.

Also how long would it to even learn the the FATAL system if that is even possible.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156171 on: March 14, 2021, 04:30:51 am »

"Is there a way to learn this power?"

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156172 on: March 14, 2021, 04:56:45 am »

It'd be easier to train an AI to generate an entire game given a text description of FATAL than to try get anyone to understand FATAL.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156173 on: March 14, 2021, 06:01:33 am »

"Is there a way to learn this power?"

Not from a jedi anyone with a scrap of self-respect or sanity.

Also how long would it to even learn the the FATAL system if that is even possible.

So, the worst part is... It's not even strictly speaking *that* complex of a straight up system when it comes down to it. Roll 3d10, reference the related table. It's just that the number of circumstantial modifiers and table references are absolutely insane and would bog down any and every attempt to play with obscene amounts of busywork and cross-referencing.

The thing is, it could almost be made into a halfway playable computer game. Hand all the randomization, table calls, dice rolling (FUCKING 1d10,000,000 ARE YOU NUTS), modifier checks and whatnot off to a machine that can actually remember and process all that shit, and a person would almost get enough breathing room cleared to try and do something.

But it's not. It's a TTRPG. Because he's just that kind of sociopathic statistician.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156174 on: March 14, 2021, 06:29:41 am »

So whoever made FATAL tried to make a TTRPG, but ended up making a CRPG masqurading as a tabletop game. Would it be like if Bethesda tried to make tabletop Skyrim, but instead of simplifying things to fit the medium, they instead tried to directly port every mechanic as-is? Also, there's weapons-grade horny and racism in there, but I'm speaking purely mechanically here.

Then again, I feel that FATAL was made as a power fantasy wankfest first, and a game second. Even if it was made into a text-only video game, it would end up being rated AO the moment it hit the ESRB. Jesus, I do not want to see the source code if it's made by the same guy as the original.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156175 on: March 14, 2021, 09:39:55 am »

I feel Skyrim is probably already simpler than 99% of all tbt rpgs.
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156176 on: March 14, 2021, 10:40:29 am »

Uh, you sure about that? Here's the damage calculation formulas in Skyrim:

Code: [Select]
displayed damage = Round[ (base damage + smithing increase) * (1 + skill/200) * (1 + perk effects) * (1 + item effects) * (1 + potion effect) * (1 + Seeker of Might bonus) ]

Damage = ((Right Hand displayed Damage * (1 + Power Attack Bonus) *  (1 + Power Attack Perk) * (1 + Dual Power Attack perk)) * Dual Power Attack Mod) + ((Left Hand displayed Damage * (1 + Power Attack Bonus) *  (1 + Power Attack Perk) * (1 + Dual Power Attack perk)) * Dual Power Attack Mod)
(source)

It's no (4d100 / 2) - 1, but this would be fairly unworkable without a calculator. No square roots or quadratics, though; I guess those operations were too slow even for a computer. Oh, and there's a bunch of look-up tables for each thing, so you better have the memory of a computer just to perform 1 attack. I suppose you could ignore the potions, Seeker of Might, and a lot of the specific perks at first, but imagine seeing that in the manual.

Did I mention that Skyrim is a realtime game, so these calculations have to also be done in realtime in this hypothetical overly-faithful tabletop adaptation? After all, making it turn-based (like any sane person would) would detract from the authenticity of the experience. Not to mention the physics simulations you'll have to calculate every time you Fus Ro Dah someone. You better be good at matrix operations with ~15 decimal places. Each frame is a round of calculation, and there's 60 of them per second.

Sure, the basic ideas are very simple and can be trimmed down to something workable, but this is full-fat Skyrim, so I'm going straight for the deep end.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:59:24 am by methylatedspirit »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156177 on: March 14, 2021, 11:51:51 am »

I have spent an inordinate amount of time looking for people’s experience of FATAL on the interwebs over the past few days.

I could just download the book, but I like my devices and don’t want to dispose of them.

I also came across someone saying that you could print it out and burn it, but that would be an insult to fire, which I quite enjoyed.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156178 on: March 14, 2021, 11:58:21 am »

Also ink is very expensive
Love, scriver~

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156179 on: March 14, 2021, 12:53:08 pm »

Also ink is very expensive

I discovered today that it's possible to make black printer ink on your own with a lighted candle and a mix of egg yolk, gum Arabic and honey (or also to make blue ink out of laundry bluing). Then you can inject it with a syringe in your empty cartridge.
Pages: 1 ... 10410 10411 [10412] 10413 10414 ... 11039