Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10404 10405 [10406] 10407 10408 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554761 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156075 on: March 06, 2021, 09:57:01 pm »

I was thinking more as in the problem with making sure it's real gold and not fraudulent, which is something that crypto is apparently obsessed about judging on their whole thing about proofs.

Here, a 3Blue1Brown video on the basic ideas that underlie crypto, as well as how they connect to produce a Bitcoin-like crypto. It's around 25 minutes, but it's good stuff. I don't think I could summarize it any further myself without losing vital details. It explains the proof of work thing.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156076 on: March 06, 2021, 10:55:49 pm »

I am fairly lucky in that migraines for me only really happen if I have too much or too little sleep, and I’m evidently aware enough of it coming on that I can take painkillers to at least stop the headache. Not too sure if being dehydrated also does it for me.

I still get to feel nauseated for the rest of the day though, which also gets worse depending on light, so that always sucks balls.

Hopefully a good night’s sleep sorts you out dude.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #156077 on: March 06, 2021, 10:59:02 pm »

Seems as though it would be quite possible to live in a world where you can buy a pizza for a gold coin. It may be heavy but I think it has a reasonable value : weight ratio for casual use, at least. You could buy a lot of pizzas with a purse full of gold.

I suppose one problem with relying on gold/silver/etc coins to make trades is that there's not a huge supply of those elements as compared to the current human population. So I suppose that if we see major governments collapsing paired with a big drop in human population, those could become the most convenient currency!
I was thinking more as in the problem with making sure it's real gold and not fraudulent, which is something that crypto is apparently obsessed about judging on their whole thing about proofs.

Most of the time legit precious metal coins were fraudulent anyway.  Most coinage would be debased over time, either alloying the metal or shaving down the dimensions for a slightly smaller coin.  You get more coin per bar of gold or whatever.  You coupled that with Legal Tender law so merchants have to accept the lame coin for face value instead of real weight, which used to be how they'd accept coinage.

But merchant weight of course had its own issues.  But only the government is allowed to lie about the coinage.
The thing is though, gold is supposed to have a central authrotiy, a trust system. Some kind of enforcement ensuring people won't fuck over the other when making transactions. Crypto wastes up a lot of energy just to ensure people aren't dicks.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156079 on: March 06, 2021, 11:20:31 pm »

The thing is though, gold is supposed to have a central authrotiy, a trust system. Some kind of enforcement ensuring people won't fuck over the other when making transactions. Crypto wastes up a lot of energy just to ensure people aren't dicks.

Wasting time and effort to make people not be dicks is just human nature, unfortunately.

Instead of a central government with fiat currency or whatever, crypto has a fuckton of math.  The whole point of the "experiment" so to speak was to strip a currency of that central government.  Because a central government will abuse the currency to fund stuff without bonds, by debasement or printing money.

I'd argue the experiment was largely a failure, because it barely functions as a medium of exchange, its a commodity.  Now its becoming an ecological disaster just to keep it running, when frankly in order for bitcoin mining to be even profitable, you'd have to have done it about ten years ago.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156080 on: March 07, 2021, 03:48:55 am »

Duck has learned to peck the keys of the keyboard via observation of the same. Maybe I am teaching it the wrong skills in life. It's def imprinted on me so I can barely leave it alone ;_; Luckily the weather is good so I can get some work done outside, tho last time chicken!duck pecked the duck in the head. Pure jealousy of never being able to obtain a ducklike form.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156081 on: March 07, 2021, 03:55:12 am »

Can you even buy anything with Bitcoin, because I don't think I've ever heard of a store or businesses that excepts it as payment.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156082 on: March 07, 2021, 04:08:28 am »

Can you even buy anything with Bitcoin, because I don't think I've ever heard of a store or businesses that excepts it as payment.
Oh yeah, lots actually.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156083 on: March 07, 2021, 04:21:01 am »

Are any of them physical locations are are they all online?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156084 on: March 07, 2021, 04:22:19 am »

Are any of them physical locations are are they all online?
Well, you can't physically possess bitcoins so you'd be transferring them online anyway, but yes, I know of physical stores where you could go to buy things with bitcoin if you really wanted to for some weird reason.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156085 on: March 07, 2021, 04:26:38 am »

There are hardware bitcoin wallets, so you can sort of physically carry your bitcoins with you.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #156086 on: March 07, 2021, 05:36:50 am »

From my understanding the main real-world use of Bitcoin is as an untraceable digital currency, which lends itself extremely well to buying drugs and other illegal stuff via the dark net or for moving money around since its impossible for the cops/financial people to trace it.

Some other stuff and stores do accept bitcoin, but as a normal currency it kind of sucks compared to other stuff so there isn't any real reason you would want to use it over a regular currency/payment processor as long as you aren't breaking any laws.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156087 on: March 07, 2021, 06:02:29 am »

Oh yeah, lots actually.

Word of warning: there's a transaction fee that you'll have to add to every purchase if you want the miners to actually count your purchase at all. The current fee appears to be $17.58 equivalent, so it's not particularly cost-effective for the things you'd want to buy on a daily basis.

From my understanding the main real-world use of Bitcoin is as an untraceable digital currency, which lends itself extremely well to buying drugs and other illegal stuff via the dark net or for moving money around since its impossible for the cops/financial people to trace it.

Some other stuff and stores do accept bitcoin, but as a normal currency it kind of sucks compared to other stuff so there isn't any real reason you would want to use it over a regular currency/payment processor as long as you aren't breaking any laws.

No, Bitcoin absolutely sucks for privacy. Think of it this way: the blockchain is entirely public. You can look at every transaction ever made with Bitcoin, and there's nothing to stop you from tracing anyone's transactions. Go on, say, Bitcoin Explorer, and there's a list of the latest transactions right then and there. You want a visual one? Here you go! Here's a video in which someone traces a transaction. Sure, there's things like Bitcoin mixers, in which... it's money laundering by mixing around "dirty" and "clean" money, I'm not gonna hide it, but it's just a matter of time until someone figures out where it went. It's less private than using a credit card.

Bitcoin is the opposite of a privacy-oriented currency. The one criminals actually want would be Monero (XMR), since that one obfuscates the entire public ledger, as well as the wallet addresses. The IRS has a bounty of up to $625,000 to "contractors who can trace transactions or provide statistical probabilities that connect transaction data to specific users", i.e. for contractors who can make it traceable.

LINUS TECH TIPS MENTIONS DWARF FORTRESS.

As part of them analyzing the Anandtech review of the i7-11700K, yes. Honestly, Linus' take on world sizes, "Dwarf Fortress, okay, is best played at Medium- and Large-sized worlds. (...) If you're playing Dwarf Fortress, in a Small world, you're a big piece of s**t. You're garbage. You're human f**king garbage.", he's not wrong. Unless your hardware is slow or you're going for long histories, why would you even go for small anyway?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 07:55:25 am by methylatedspirit »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156088 on: March 07, 2021, 11:29:20 am »

I want to play the game, not slowly watch numbers get bigger as my computer slowly processes everything.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156089 on: March 07, 2021, 03:17:22 pm »

Now that worldgen's more important in play, having a larger world directly affects your fort much more. Unfortunately, this means that a larger world is also more intensive in my limited experience.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10404 10405 [10406] 10407 10408 ... 11039