Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10388 10389 [10390] 10391 10392 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555624 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155835 on: February 19, 2021, 11:31:14 pm »

Idle checking has informed me that, during the cyber samurai mini-series thing, at some point Raphael punches literally Hitler.

Damnit, now I'm actually getting tempted to really try to find those comics.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155836 on: February 20, 2021, 09:07:04 am »

I realized that I seem to target two things in life: being nice to people, and doing whatever the fuck I want/not giving a fuck. How the hell am I aiming for two things that seemingly contradict each other? I realize there's other things to being nice, but not giving a shit about (among other things: social norms beyond the basics, fashion, relationships) is at least selfish.

I've noticed this because of that guy who called me handsome I met in uni, a friend. He regularly says that I "don't give a fuck", but a few times, he did say that I have this "genetic kindness" about me. "Genetic" here probably means "inherent/ingrained", but you get the point. I seem to lack the ability to even tell that I'm not caring about "advanced" social norms (why else would I keep unashamedly breaking them?), yet I'm doing something that in part requires me to care. While not diametrically opposed, these two goals often conflict.

Which brings me to how I conduct myself on Bay12. Now, I cannot and refuse to judge myself on how I behave on here, since I am my own worst critic, so any self-judgements will be inaccurate. I can, however, say that I try to be nice. Whether you think I actually am, I'll leave that to you. I try to be kind first, before doing what I want. With the uni friend, I do what I want first, then be kind later.

It's like my personality switches modes, and prioritizes either kindness or "doing what I want" depending on the situation. It seems that it's selected by the personality (by averaged/"cultural" personality, for groups) of the person. Interesting. I suppose that's how I resolve the cognitive dissonance of doing both at the same time, and it helps with adapting to the social environments I find myself in.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155837 on: February 20, 2021, 09:16:08 am »

I realized that I seem to target two things in life: being nice to people, and doing whatever the fuck I want/not giving a fuck. How the hell am I aiming for two things that seemingly contradict each other?

Solution: Only do people bear favours, and don't give no shits about how the results hurt them :D
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155838 on: February 20, 2021, 10:32:05 am »

I realized that I seem to target two things in life: being nice to people, and doing whatever the fuck I want/not giving a fuck. How the hell am I aiming for two things that seemingly contradict each other?

An' it harm none, do what you will?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155839 on: February 20, 2021, 12:39:16 pm »

Dry roasted peanuts, jelly beans, and regular Coca-Cola do not really have compatible flavor profiles.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #155840 on: February 20, 2021, 12:41:06 pm »

Go make a "things that did not make you go "WTF?" today ._." thread for that one mate

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #155841 on: February 20, 2021, 01:28:16 pm »

I realized that I seem to target two things in life: being nice to people, and doing whatever the fuck I want/not giving a fuck. How the hell am I aiming for two things that seemingly contradict each other? I realize there's other things to being nice, but not giving a shit about (among other things: social norms beyond the basics, fashion, relationships) is at least selfish.

Forgive me if I'm projecting on you but I think you might be confusing being nice with being polite. I know I did. Personally I can't find any reason why anyone can't be a nice person while not giving a shit about politeness or social norms.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155842 on: February 20, 2021, 01:36:10 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:42:08 pm by dragdeler »
let

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155843 on: February 20, 2021, 02:09:40 pm »

Niceness vs politeness.

Example of being polite:

Opening doors for people, watching your actions to make sure you don't accidentally piss someone off or make them uncomfortable, using politically correct language, sharing food, lying about how much you like something so the person doesn't feel bad.

Examples of being nice:

Giving money to homeless, holding elevators so the person who is running towards it can reach it and doesn't have to wait for the next one, paying for someone's bus fare because they need a ride but can't afford it, encouraging the shy person in a group to speak up more so they can have a voice, standing up for someone who has been unfairly wronged.

Generally speaking, here's a good question you can ask to determine if an action you do is nice or not: Will people judge you if you don't do this?

If the answer is yes, you're being polite. If the answer is no, you're being nice.

Where I think the confusion comes from is the fact that a lot of people really don't care about whether they're polite or not. They come across as assholes so when a person does the bare minimum to not be an asshole, they think they've achieved some sort of grand feat even though they could have gone a lot further.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155844 on: February 20, 2021, 03:04:52 pm »

Niceness vs politeness.

Example of being polite:

Opening doors for people, watching your actions to make sure you don't accidentally piss someone off or make them uncomfortable, using politically correct language, sharing food, lying about how much you like something so the person doesn't feel bad.

Examples of being nice:

Giving money to homeless, holding elevators so the person who is running towards it can reach it and doesn't have to wait for the next one, paying for someone's bus fare because they need a ride but can't afford it, encouraging the shy person in a group to speak up more so they can have a voice, standing up for someone who has been unfairly wronged.

I think those two more about generosity or charitability than nicness
Love, scriver~

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155845 on: February 20, 2021, 03:13:33 pm »

Aren't generosity and charitability just subsets of niceness though?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155846 on: February 20, 2021, 06:02:54 pm »

Aren't generosity and charitability just subsets of niceness though?
No, they're separate moral axes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155847 on: February 20, 2021, 06:10:54 pm »

chaotic nice
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155848 on: February 20, 2021, 06:11:21 pm »

Where I think the confusion comes from is the fact that a lot of people really don't care about whether they're polite or not. They come across as assholes so when a person does the bare minimum to not be an asshole, they think they've achieved some sort of grand feat even though they could have gone a lot further.

And the million-dollar question is: do I come off as an asshole on here?

I do try to be a bit polite, but I only follow a restricted set. There's things here like "don't make people feel shitty unless you have a damn good reason", but the moment you try to force me into a relationship (or other Things I Refuse To Do), I just enforce boundaries and say something that's equivalent to "Dude, WTF?! No!". I dunno why my uni friends seem so offended by that, considering that they're failing to respect my boundaries. Bounds violations seems to be the #1 reason I stray from politeness, it seems.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155849 on: February 20, 2021, 06:18:38 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:41:56 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 10388 10389 [10390] 10391 10392 ... 11039