Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10386 10387 [10388] 10389 10390 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555137 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155805 on: February 17, 2021, 08:09:04 pm »

So... Catto's kittens have disappeared from the box. How am I gonna bring them back home when the kitties are missing in action? Maybe when I told her that I'm gonna be leaving soon, she took it to heart and relocated her kittens for some reason.

Edit: I asked a cleaner, and she just said that the kittens just disappeared overnight to god-knows-where, and the kittens aren't even in the neighboring block. I dunno if they're in the drain or what, but they're all just missing now as far as I'm concerned. And on the day I leave this campus! I wanted to say goodbye to the kittens.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:31:15 pm by methylatedspirit »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155806 on: February 17, 2021, 08:42:14 pm »

Were the kittens mobile enough to get out of the box? Were they mobile enough to reach the exit? How do your cats get out of your dorm though? It's not like they leave a window open.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155807 on: February 17, 2021, 08:58:53 pm »

The answer to the first two is "no". These kittens are only a month old now, and the box is very tall compared to their height.

I'll have to clarify on the third question. My dorm is basically an apartment complex. You have the rooms, and outside of those, you have The Great Outdoors. Zero doors in sight once you're outside. There's no central room or anything. The box was outside of my room, so it's outside. I put the box at the bottom of a staircase, in the empty triangle of space that no human can walk into.

I suppose this means that the kittens could've been taken away by an enemy cat, but Catto doesn't seem particularly distraught.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155808 on: February 17, 2021, 09:09:13 pm »

Perhaps Catto is aware of your impending disappearance and is already preparing to go her separate ways. She may have stashed them somewhere else. She never did like that box you know...

Alternatively, maybe some kind human saw some abandoned looking kittens and thought they were up for adoption.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155809 on: February 17, 2021, 10:04:16 pm »

... alternatively alternatively, the cat just did the cat mother thing cat mothers do and moved the kittens around. They'll do that even if they're more or less perfectly secure or whatever. Or someone with good intentions could have seen kittens and figured they could give them a decent home or somethin'.

Though yeah, something or another could have eaten them or whatever pretty easily, too. Catmom likely wouldn't have appeared particularly distraught if they had been, catmoms tend to give pretty few shits over dead kittens, from what I've seen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155810 on: February 18, 2021, 05:01:04 am »

Those kittens are too young to leave their mom.
Theory number 1: mom's moved them herself. Keep an eye on where she goes and you should find the kittens. Momma cats move their litters around all the time if for some reason she is no longer comfortable in the current spot (it could just be that it's dirty).

Theory number 2: some jerk with zero knowledge of cats stole them and now has to deal with kittens that are taken from the nest at a too young age.
Theory number 3 some jerk with a hungry snake stole them
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #155811 on: February 18, 2021, 05:09:03 am »

Our cat, when I was a kid, moved the nest three or four times before the kittens were mobile enough on their own. Probably had something to do with little delphonso staring at the kittens all the time, now that I think about it.

Hope the Catto clan are okay.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155812 on: February 18, 2021, 07:18:14 am »

I'm back home, so I'll really just have to hope that the Catto clan's okay.

Anyway, in more WTF-related news, I was disassembling a dusty (like, probably hazardous amounts of dust) computer, and I noticed that one of the (2GB, damn) sticks of RAM is single-sided. The hell kind of consumer-grade RAM is single-sided? I suspect that the manufacturer just recycled PCBs from the 4GB sticks and placed half the chips in, since I can see holes and traces going to where the missing chips would be.

Also, I "misplaced" my thermal paste. Damn, past-me, why did you have to put it somewhere that isn't obvious to current-me? It's not expensive or anything, but I'd much prefer to not wait for shipping. It's one of the few computer-related items to not be hilariously overpriced or out of stock, so at least that's good.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:19:55 am by methylatedspirit »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155813 on: February 18, 2021, 09:09:08 am »

Single-sided RAM is what happens when you upgrade to higher density chips but want to continue to offer lower capacities to budget-minded consumers. Much cheaper for the manufacturer to just pull out the stock after the first side is assembled.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155814 on: February 18, 2021, 10:19:18 am »

The day-1-DLC of hardware - Make a full product, then go through additional effort to withhold and upsell part of it.

I guess it's not as bad as it sounds if they can reuse those removed PCBs though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155815 on: February 18, 2021, 11:25:07 am »

To give an example, assume that the company made a 2GB stick using 256 meg chips. Sp you need 8 chips to get that capacity (4 on each side), which is what you have space for.

Then a 512 meg chip comes out, allowing you tonger a 4GB stick out of those 8 chips. But people still want to buy 2GB sticks. You could continue to use the 256mb chips, but it is cheaper and more efficient to simply use 4 chips instead of 8.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155816 on: February 18, 2021, 11:36:15 am »

The day-1-DLC of hardware - Make a full product, then go through additional effort to withhold and upsell part of it.

Did you mean: Intel? Imagine this, you buy a nice i5-10600K, back when that was the new hotness. Now, the "K" means "overclockable". You bought a midrange processor, in the hopes that you can overclock your way to matching an i9 in gaming (which is entirely possible; you're "only" 500MHz away from the max speed of one).

The best part? You have to buy a top-of-the-line motherboard, a Z490 board, to even be able to overclock at all. No, you can't even run RAM faster than 2933MHz without one. Have fancy DDR4-3600 sticks in your rig, and you bought an H470 board? Fuck you! 2933 is all you get. XMP? Of course not!

It seems that this is likely to change come next generation, but this shit has been going on for years. Only reason why they seem to be reconsidering this strategy is because AMD's beating their ass left, right, and center. The Ryzen 5000-series is the gaming king now. Even on the crappiest A-series motherboards, AMD lets you overclock the memory. You only need to go up to the B-series to get full overclocking capability, and that's what most people do.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #155817 on: February 18, 2021, 11:42:07 am »

At this point isn't it better (performance/cost wise) to just buy the "better" options from the start, instead of trying to push the lesser ones to their limits?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155818 on: February 18, 2021, 11:51:52 am »

Omigosh this is why I try to tell my mom I don't understand computer hardware!  Just because I can diagnose and replace a failed power supply doesn't mean I understand all the RAM/CPU numbers and compatibility issues :'(  Part of me still wants to think "More clock speed has to be gooder even across instruction sets and architectures!"

I probably misunderstood.  My first very cynical thought was that they were making 4GB RAM and then stripping (and discarding) one side of PCBs just so they could sell 2GB sticks.  Then I realized that the PCBs would probably still be usable.

After posting, I started thinking that *surely* they're just putting the PCBs on one side in the first place, not stripping them from 4GB sticks.  Surely.  Using the same boards as the 4GB sticks of course, so there are bare slots along one side.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155819 on: February 18, 2021, 11:54:52 am »

At this point isn't it better (performance/cost wise) to just buy the "better" options from the start, instead of trying to push the lesser ones to their limits?

I suppose looking at it rationally, it's not particularly likely that you'll end up with an i5 that runs at i9 speeds stably, but overclockers like the thrill of it. They like being able to a) save money, and b) sticking it to the man by showing off these overclocked CPUs. Hell, they call the tendency for CPUs to exhibit variance in how far you can push them, "silicon lottery". If you buy an i5 that reaches i9 speeds when overclocked, you've basically "won" the "lottery".

This is way before my time, but there was this CPU called the Celeron 300A, which ran at 300 MHz. Now, you hear "Celeron" now, and you associate it with pain. Back then, though, it turns out that you could push these things to 450 MHz 9 times out of 10. What does that get you? Well, the Pentium II 450 MHz was a thing. In workstation applications, sure, the Celeron would lose. In gaming? You got the performance of a 450 MHz Pentium II, and you paid Celeron prices.

That's sort of the dream of overclocking. To be able to buy a weaker product, and pushing it to its absolute limits to get the performance of a stronger product while only paying for the weak product.

Omigosh this is why I try to tell my mom I don't understand computer hardware!  Just because I can diagnose and replace a failed power supply doesn't mean I understand all the RAM/CPU numbers and compatibility issues :'(  Part of me still wants to think "More clock speed has to be gooder even across instruction sets and architectures!"

Intel Pentium 4, AMD Bulldozer. Prime examples of higher clock speed != higher performance. The main problem with them is that, yes, they reach stupid-high clock speeds, but they sacrifice efficiency, to the point that they literally sit around just stalling half the time.

It gets even better with the Pentium 4-based Celerons. They literally cut down the cache, on an architecture that already struggled with continually stalling for other reasons. You know what Intel did to "compensate"? Increased the clock speeds. This increased heat output further. Yeah, people say P4s are room heaters, but the Celerons of the era... Jesus Christ. I can't properly corroborate numbers, but a Celeron D (as they were called) compared against a Pentium 4 of the same performance and era would end up consuming more power than the P4. It's a jump from 65W to 84W, something in that ballpark. The Intel stock coolers of the era reflected that; the P4 ones were copper-cored just so that they could dissipate the ludicrous amount of heat they generated.

Of course, now you have CPUs that easily go above 125W, given sufficient cooling. The difference there is that you actually get performance when you invest in a good cooling system. It's not that they're inefficient, it's just that the sheer number of cores you get in high-end processors just need that much power.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:40:12 pm by methylatedspirit »
Pages: 1 ... 10386 10387 [10388] 10389 10390 ... 11039