Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10348 10349 [10350] 10351 10352 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555100 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155235 on: January 15, 2021, 05:53:45 pm »

Unless the senate actually convicts the impeachment this time, yes. If the GOP decides to continue carrying water for the guy that just tried to get most of their congress members murdered, then he'll still get the SS detail even in jail (Pretty sure this has been tested with president family members in the past?).

If they do actually boot him out after the coup attempt, then he'll lose pretty much everything an ex-president traditionally gets, from what I understand, on top of being barred from ever holding public office again.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 05:56:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155236 on: January 15, 2021, 06:15:21 pm »

The SS.... oh boy.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155237 on: January 15, 2021, 06:18:21 pm »

Not that one :P

Though yeah, I think they prefer USSS or something specifically because of that, I was just being lazy.
Ask not!
Ask!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155238 on: January 15, 2021, 06:31:47 pm »

Yeah, imagine a tall, blonde guy saying outloud I'm SS.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155239 on: January 15, 2021, 07:29:51 pm »

The Unitrd States Secret Service is far older tjan the Shuktzstaffl.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #155240 on: January 15, 2021, 07:58:53 pm »

If they do actually boot him out after the coup attempt, then he'll lose pretty much everything an ex-president traditionally gets, from what I understand, on top of being barred from ever holding public office again.

I think being barred from office is an optional penalty that the Senate votes on. Might apply to the other things, too.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #155241 on: January 16, 2021, 05:28:55 am »

Imagine a tall, brunette guy saying Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155242 on: January 16, 2021, 07:04:44 am »

I've been reading Linux From Scratch (great book if you're looking to specifically waste time), and I've noticed something that I can't help thinking is strange to me.

From what I've gathered, it basically goes:
1) Start with source code, and use your existing toolchain (note: I barely understand what a "toolchain" is) to compile the bare minimum to be able to compile other things on this new "system" (despite it being on the same physical system as your host system).

2) Use this new toolchain on your new, LFS system (by using chroot; you can't boot off of it yet) to build everything else you need for a functional Linux system.

3) Use the toolchain... to recompile itself, on the LFS system after booting off of it.

Look, on an intellectual level, I get it. You're trying to isolate all the host system's libraries from the LFS system so that the LFS system can actually run on its own without relying on the host at all. Step 3's to verify that everything's correct; it's not strictly necessary. That's clearly a YOLO strat if you'd want to speedrun an LFS install. (Speedruns for Linux installs have been done before, it turns out, though not LFS itself).

But to my peanut brain, that's like, loopy as hell. If you did this on an x86_64 machine, that's like, x86_64 to x86_64 to x86_64. The book says you're supposed to do this on one machine (there's CLFS, but that's a different story), so that's also (denoting the one physical machine as A) A to A to A.

Then again, what do I know? All the programming languages I've used (which isn't saying much) are interpreted, not compiled. I've never had to compile Python code, for instance. Toolchains? Compiling? Linking? The hell are those?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155243 on: January 16, 2021, 07:13:25 am »

I know compiling is where you hit source code with some program or another to (try to, possibly fail repeatedly) make it actually do something, at least. That one's easy, if fraught with terrors.
Ask not!
Ask!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155244 on: January 16, 2021, 07:58:57 am »

WTF Java website has been down for like a week or so.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155245 on: January 16, 2021, 10:23:09 am »

The number of police wearing neo-nazi paraphernalia on their uniforms, I wouldn't be surprised to see a secret service agent with an SS challenge coin at least.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155246 on: January 16, 2021, 10:31:21 am »

Well, I'd like to be a devil's advocate, but ........

I mean .........

But ......

A lot of pro-nationalist symbols match up to nazi symbology.  A lot of concepts/symbols of authoritarianism and law/order also tend to stem from ideas that the nazis borrowed from.  And of course a lot people want to emulate a strong masculine image, which is also pretty popular amoungst the nazis.  Leather is really frakin' cool to me, and the nazis also agreed to an extent.....

hmmmmm I guess its really a matter of:

- Do we ban Hitler's 'stash?
- Do we ban the swastika?
- Do we ban the iron cross?  What about The Independent Truck Comapny Logo?

How much do we ban?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155247 on: January 16, 2021, 10:34:01 am »

All of it, and let BANNED sort BANNED out.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155248 on: January 16, 2021, 11:40:15 am »

Well, I'd like to be a devil's advocate, but ........

I mean .........

But ......

A lot of pro-nationalist symbols match up to nazi symbology.  A lot of concepts/symbols of authoritarianism and law/order also tend to stem from ideas that the nazis borrowed from.  And of course a lot people want to emulate a strong masculine image, which is also pretty popular amoungst the nazis.  Leather is really frakin' cool to me, and the nazis also agreed to an extent.....

hmmmmm I guess its really a matter of:

- Do we ban Hitler's 'stash?
- Do we ban the swastika?
- Do we ban the iron cross?  What about The Independent Truck Comapny Logo?

How much do we ban?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The SS lightning bolts? I'm not even saying we need to ban them. Just that many of our police and armed forces are neo-nazis.

It would actually be difficult to enforce rules about cops not wearing emblems like that, because politicians have spent so much time making sure police can't be investigated for wrongdoing. This one was in response to the LAPD being investigated in the Rodney King trial. Because some politicians think that police being investigated for racism is going too far.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155249 on: January 16, 2021, 11:57:17 am »

Why would the SS represent a fellow Marine sniper. How does that connect.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 10348 10349 [10350] 10351 10352 ... 11039