Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10347 10348 [10349] 10350 10351 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554772 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155220 on: January 15, 2021, 12:52:07 am »

Someone's car horn has been going off for 10 minutes straight.  Someone already went to the person's door but there was no response.  Their next door neighbor came out and there was a conversation with frustrated gestures.  It's almost 1AM.

It's not a car alarm, it's just a flat fricken tone.  I guess an alarm would be even more annoying.  Why would this even happen?  I'm just glad it only seems audible from my room, because my housemate has to get up *early*.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155221 on: January 15, 2021, 01:58:49 am »

Dunno what the exact cause is, but I've encountered it before. It's... some kind of malfunction, obviously enough, heh.

If there's a bright side, it's that if someone can't shut it up it'll give out eventually. After a point the horn or the power gives out :P

Though, not gon' lie, a dying car horn is a pretty damn odd sound, especially if it doesn't so much stop as just get much quieter and keep going.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155222 on: January 15, 2021, 02:48:39 am »

I opened a bank account today (because disability benefits can only be paid to one specific bank, and I don't have an account with said bank), and my account addresses me as "Mr". Problems with being NB aside, it still feels weird as hell that I'm old enough to be called "Mr". I'm 18 now, yes, but that's the first time I've been addressed so formally. It's probably SOP for banks to do that with all adults, but still.

In more confusing news, a friend told me to suck his dick. It's literally the sentence "suck my dick". No context that would make it sound like an insult or epithet. I can't tell if he's fucking with me, but the tone made it sound like an earnest request to, well, suck his dick. First off, what the fuck? Second, I've never been sexually attracted towards penises. It's actually a slight repulsion (not towards the people with them, just the genitals themselves); I just don't particularly enjoy looking at people's dicks. Not that it matters much; my libido's at an all-time low. My interest wouldn't be that great, even if it was a girl asking me a similar thing.

And related: I lent my phone power adapter to another friend, and he told me "I love you" or something to that effect. Uh... that's just common decency. I don't even know-- I swear my friends are trying to fuck with me, just trying to tell me stuff like that to see my confused reaction. Maybe my face's entertaining to look at in that state, not that I can actually tell myself with higher precision than "Oh, my facial expression's changed".

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #155223 on: January 15, 2021, 02:57:32 am »

As far as I know, it's not uncommon for people familiar with someone to use "I love you" as an exaggerated/joking expression of thanks.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155224 on: January 15, 2021, 03:13:48 am »

Yeah, but in the larger context of me apparently being the unaware protagonist of a harem manga, it's... interesting. I'm not saying it's evidence, but it's interesting in that light. I don't think it's completely innocent, let's put it that way.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155225 on: January 15, 2021, 04:46:48 am »

"Suck my dick" can sometimes be nothing more than a crude but unmalicious scoff.  Like the shark meme that uses the phrase - the shark is dismissing you and the rest of the reality because, wow, it's a shark.  It doesn't hate us, it's too busy being an awesome shark.  I have no idea what your friend means by it though.  It's a bit, uh, crude and familiar.

"I love you" can be like "you're a life saver", an expression of thanks that emphasizes how special your help was.  Like if no one else could help them, or because they're relieved that you actually had the power adapter around so they exaggerate a bit.

Being called Mr/Mrs/Mx LastName is still a bit weird even into my early 30's.  Actually I feel like most important documents use my full name anyway, thankfully.  The classic joke for over-familiar men was to reply "Please call me FirstName, Mr LastName was my father".  Though in our case we could go "Mrs Lastname was my mother" instead, heh.  Just as true.  I guess a charitable version would be "Please call me Firstname". 

But yeah, bank employees and such are instructed to use "sir" and "m'am" and it sucks but it is what it is.  It helps me to recall that a lot of women choose to go by "sir", particularly in military roles, and that's completely valid.  "Man" was a gender neutral term, after all.  Until somewhere around 1000AD, English men were "wer" (like in werewolf), "man" just meant human.  Good times.  I'd love to de-emphasize gender in modern English language a lot.  The people who rage against singular "they" can, so to speak, suck my
[END OF LINE]
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155226 on: January 15, 2021, 05:09:39 am »

"Suck my dick" can sometimes be nothing more than a crude but unmalicious scoff.  Like the shark meme that uses the phrase - the shark is dismissing you and the rest of the reality because, wow, it's a shark.  It doesn't hate us, it's too busy being an awesome shark.  I have no idea what your friend means by it though.  It's a bit, uh, crude and familiar.

I suppose I can elaborate. Dude just calls my name, I look up from whatever I'm doing, then he literally just says "Suck my dick". My logs pretty much read:
Code: [Select]
[START OF CONVERSATION]

Friend: [My name]!
Me: Yes?
Friend: Suck my dick.
Me: (visible confusion)
[ERROR: Pipeline stall: please wait for the next 63 cycles to resume normal execution]
[ERROR: Pipeline stall: please wait for the next 63 cycles to resume normal execution]
(...)
[ERROR: Recurring error: flushing working memory]

[END OF CONVERSATION: NO RESPONSE FROM SELF]

Basically like that. Brain stalls so hard, it just throws everything out the window to recover from the loop of bafflement. It's a common theme with these... advances.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #155227 on: January 15, 2021, 05:23:36 am »

I believe the answer should be "I don't do pity fucks".

edit: Even with the extra info from the convo log we ( as outsiders) can't be sure of any underlying context stemming from your relationship with your friend. If said friend makes such jokes frequently and with no ill intent (aka blue humor) you should be able to one up them without any problems arising (basicaly you just make a joke back at them and everyone laughs). If however that wasn't realy a joke but it was meant to degrade you then you should be able to one up them as a mean to shut them up.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 05:31:45 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155228 on: January 15, 2021, 05:48:40 am »

"I love you" can be like "you're a life saver", an expression of thanks that emphasizes how special your help was.  Like if no one else could help them, or because they're relieved that you actually had the power adapter around so they exaggerate a bit.

Being called Mr/Mrs/Mx LastName is still a bit weird even into my early 30's.  Actually I feel like most important documents use my full name anyway, thankfully.  The classic joke for over-familiar men was to reply "Please call me FirstName, Mr LastName was my father".  Though in our case we could go "Mrs Lastname was my mother" instead, heh.  Just as true.  I guess a charitable version would be "Please call me Firstname". 

But yeah, bank employees and such are instructed to use "sir" and "m'am" and it sucks but it is what it is.  It helps me to recall that a lot of women choose to go by "sir", particularly in military roles, and that's completely valid.  "Man" was a gender neutral term, after all.  Until somewhere around 1000AD, English men were "wer" (like in werewolf), "man" just meant human.  Good times.  I'd love to de-emphasize gender in modern English language a lot.  The people who rage against singular "they" can, so to speak, suck my
[END OF LINE]

Yeah baby, suck the end of my line
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155229 on: January 15, 2021, 06:04:29 am »

He could just be being a dick.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155230 on: January 15, 2021, 06:42:39 am »

edit: Even with the extra info from the convo log we ( as outsiders) can't be sure of any underlying context stemming from your relationship with your friend. If said friend makes such jokes frequently and with no ill intent (aka blue humor) you should be able to one up them without any problems arising (basicaly you just make a joke back at them and everyone laughs). If however that wasn't realy a joke but it was meant to degrade you then you should be able to one up them as a mean to shut them up.
Now that I think of it, yeah, now, that's a joke. I think my friends know that hitting on me (or using phrases that sound like it) is a really good way to elicit complete and utter confusion out of me. I could see how that's funny.

If you rephrase any request so that it starts with "Yeah baby" or "Oh baby", it suddenly becomes lewd. Extra points if you add "yeah" at the end. I could start right now: "Oh baby, rephrase those requests so they start with "Oh baby", yeah..."

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155231 on: January 15, 2021, 11:57:25 am »

Now that I think of it, yeah, now, that's a joke. I think my friends know that hitting on me (or using phrases that sound like it) is a really good way to elicit complete and utter confusion out of me. I could see how that's funny.

If you rephrase any request so that it starts with "Yeah baby" or "Oh baby", it suddenly becomes lewd. Extra points if you add "yeah" at the end. I could start right now: "Oh baby, rephrase those requests so they start with "Oh baby", yeah..."
Oh baby, we need to bulldoze these dead bodies into this ditch before the police come.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155232 on: January 15, 2021, 02:15:43 pm »

Oh baby, we need to bulldoze these dead bodies into this ditch before the police come.

Yeah baby, I'll bulldoze your dead body anytime
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155233 on: January 15, 2021, 05:46:40 pm »

If Trump goes to jail, will he still have a secret service detail? 
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155234 on: January 15, 2021, 05:50:35 pm »

I don't think the law allows the SS to be revoked for that, but it would be the easiest SS detail ever!
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10347 10348 [10349] 10350 10351 ... 11039