Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10312 10313 [10314] 10315 10316 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547276 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154695 on: December 13, 2020, 10:56:29 pm »

Being celiac must be really bothersome indeed.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154696 on: December 13, 2020, 10:59:04 pm »

It's gotten better over years. When the granola girls caught wind of it, the corporations actually started trying.

You will still never willingly eat gluten-free bread raw though. You have to either toast it, cover it in peanut-butter, or fry it as part of a grilled-cheese sandwich. You're never going to get the joy of digging into a fresh loaf of bread.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154697 on: December 14, 2020, 02:18:29 am »

I just learned that if you buy an asexual flag from a big place, the color reproduction on the flag can be so bad, that the bottom color, purple, turns to pink. The result is that instead of an asexual flag, you end up with a gynephilia (attraction to women/femininity) flag.

How shit is the color reproduction on mass-produced flags that it can't render purple correctly? Who made the gynephilia flag so close to the asexual flag that bad printing can mix the two together? It's so bad, that I look up "gynephilia flag" on Google, and it gives me asexual flags interspersed with the flag I'm looking for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154698 on: December 14, 2020, 02:28:46 am »

Hilariously, the blue dye used in many printing applications bleaches very quickly in the sun, leaving only stronger magenta behind.

This is because the more light-stable prussian blue is actually a dispersion of small particles, and can clog print nozzles. Such fun! 

Also, why be pride-y about your asexualness?  The only people who are going to understand that flag anyway are other people in the alt-sex demographic. It wont make heterosexual people understand you any better at all.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #154699 on: December 14, 2020, 02:48:35 am »

It wont make heterosexual people understand you any better at all.

Hey I would recognize the ace flag.

And it's very aesthetically pleasing as well

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154700 on: December 14, 2020, 02:53:50 am »

Also, why be pride-y about your asexualness?  The only people who are going to understand that flag anyway are other people in the alt-sex demographic. It wont make heterosexual people understand you any better at all.

Some people, man. The Youtuber that I learned that fact from went on to explain that the entire world is basically built around sex, and it fully expects you to want it. It's assumed to be a universal truth. Like, you can't just be not interested in anyone, you have to have something wrong with you. It's like love and sex is the be-all, end-all of life to most people. That guy wanted nothing of it, so he does go a little pride-y about it, since asexuality is basically nonexistent in media. Hence the whole "buying an asexual flag" thing. Plus, he's a Youtuber talking about being ace, so it sorta fits the theme, you know?

Plus, there are some nasty motherfuckers in the LGBT community who exclude asexual (and aromantic) people just because they think aces aren't as oppressed as gay and lesbian people (or some other bullshit reason, I don't care). Aphobia is a thing, and it can happen within the LGBT, the very community that they were meant to be protected by.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154701 on: December 14, 2020, 02:55:10 am »

It's gotten better over years. When the granola girls caught wind of it, the corporations actually started trying.

You will still never willingly eat gluten-free bread raw though. You have to either toast it, cover it in peanut-butter, or fry it as part of a grilled-cheese sandwich. You're never going to get the joy of digging into a fresh loaf of bread.

Home-made gluten-free bread can actually be half-decent. The trick is to bake enriched bread with egg/oil/milk/butter. You can even leaven it with yeast (although don’t knead it as there’s no gluten to activate - stirring it will just release the trapped gasses, which you don’t want). Large manufacturers can’t do it well as they need to bake it in a gf kitchen, seal it airtight, and ship it.

Google “Gluten-free artisan bread in five minutes a Day”. Their English muffins are surprisingly decent too. Not as good as wheat, but definitely better than anything mass produced.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #154702 on: December 14, 2020, 05:48:30 am »

Aphobia

They called their phobia "not-phobia"?
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154703 on: December 14, 2020, 05:55:27 am »

Aphobia

Well, I'm not the one making up the terminology here. I'm just following what the Youtuber said, and assuming that he's following the standards, insofar as there are standards. I enjoy following standards if it means I get to be more well-understood, if you can't tell. Sometimes you get constructions like "aphobia", and I'm powerless to change it. Shit happens.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154704 on: December 14, 2020, 06:24:49 am »

Aphobia

It follows conventions. "Homophobia" is an equally stupid word according to your logic, as it means "phobia of things that are the same" or something like that when the latin is interpreted literally. "Biphobia" would mean "fear of things there are two of" - a rather crippling condition, to say the least.

In fact: "Claustrophobia" - fear of locks. "Agoraphobia" - fear of markets.

The logical conclusion here is that the learning of Latin should be banned, and the etymologists hunted, so that people no longer object to perfectly functional words.
One wheel short of a wagon

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #154705 on: December 14, 2020, 07:22:28 am »

"Okay boys, it's open season on the etymologists. Who's first on the list?"
"That would be NJW2000, sir. He's displayed a disturbing knowledge of etymological meaning."

"It's a great time to be alive. Not for NJW. But for us."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154706 on: December 14, 2020, 07:24:37 am »

Aphobia

It follows conventions. "Homophobia" is an equally stupid word according to your logic, as it means "phobia of things that are the same" or something like that when the latin is interpreted literally. "Biphobia" would mean "fear of things there are two of" - a rather crippling condition, to say the least.

In fact: "Claustrophobia" - fear of locks. "Agoraphobia" - fear of markets.

The logical conclusion here is that the learning of Latin should be banned, and the etymologists hunted, so that people no longer object to perfectly functional words.
Phobias should actually be named in greek, not latin. They are named after the servanth of Ares, Phobos (Φόβος). The latin variant is Terror.
Latin for market: "forum". "Agoras" is greek
"Homo-" just happens to be taken from greek in latin. But in latin, it also means "human" (the word "human" is taken from latin to english).
"Bi-" is greek for double. In latin, it would be "di-".
But I agree that most of these phobia names are stupid. They just took the prefix for the orientation and put it in the phobia's name.

"to close" translates (by google translate) to "na kleíso" (να κλείσω), which may be the basis for "klaustrophobia", or fear of being closed.

"Okay boys, it's open season on the etymologists. Who's first on the list?"
I am second, apparently.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154707 on: December 14, 2020, 08:21:18 am »

"Okay boys, it's open season on the etymologists."
"You thought hunting regular people was dangerous they haven't got anything on the etymologist, an etymologist is even more dangerous because it can harm your feelings with archaic you can't even comprehend but you know they're hateful....       you just know."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154708 on: December 14, 2020, 08:23:37 am »

"Okay boys, it's open season on the etymologists."
"You thought hunting regular people was dangerous they haven't got anything on the etymologist, an etymologist is even more dangerous because it can harm your feelings with archaic you can't even comprehend but you know they're hateful....       you just know."

I think you accidentally a colloquialism.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #154709 on: December 14, 2020, 11:24:08 am »

Aphobia

It follows conventions. "Homophobia" is an equally stupid word according to your logic

No, it wouldn't. Aphobia is funny not because the word does not directly translate to what it is used for, but because it translates to "no phobia". And that is funny.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10312 10313 [10314] 10315 10316 ... 11038