Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10291 10292 [10293] 10294 10295 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14534963 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154380 on: November 15, 2020, 09:39:42 pm »

Depends on what you're doing in the loop. If it's like multiple floating point multiplies taking around 25 cycles then relative to that the register increment, compare, and correctly predicted branch that take about 1 or 2 cycles would be rather quick.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:42:06 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154381 on: November 15, 2020, 09:42:25 pm »

It's really not that, which is my point. It's the number of iterations you run per frame which matters. If you do 1 million things per frame, and you remove the iterator overhead, then it doesn't matter whether those things had 1 instruction or 10 instructions in them, the saving is the same.

EDIT: Or, you could argue about things that aren't frame-limited, so let's do that. Say there's a quick loop, and you do it a million times, and it spends 20 seconds dealing with the loop counter / tests and 1 minute dealing with the 'guts', vs a slow loop which you also do 1 million times, and it spends 20 seconds dealing with the loop and 10 minutes dealing with the guts. The saving from unrolling the loop in both cases is the same: 20 seconds sheared off the task. The same amount of time saved by doing the optimization. So, if you had a 'tight loop' and a 'slow loop' then it wouldn't necessarily make any more sense to unroll the tight loop if the slow loop had more iterations going on.

The point is that X milliseconds is still the same percentage of a frame assuming you're working to a set frame rate target, so the low hanging fruit is always the iterator with the most number of loops regardless of how 'slow' it is.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:52:21 pm by Reelya »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154382 on: November 15, 2020, 09:44:11 pm »

The absolute saving. But the relative saving is smaller. I.e. it would be lower on your optimization priority list and would be less likely to push you to match your requirement.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154383 on: November 15, 2020, 09:46:05 pm »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154384 on: November 15, 2020, 09:53:36 pm »

The absolute saving. But the relative saving is smaller. I.e. it would be lower on your optimization priority list and would be less likely to push you to match your requirement.

I edited to explain why that's not true.

If you loop a slow thing 1 million times and a fast thing 500,000 times, then the slow thing is still where you want to do that optimization, because there is an absolutely larger number of loop instructions going on. So saying to optimize the fast thing because "relatively" it's sped up more is a false economy, because in absolute terms, this had less effect on how fast your entire program was.

So there's no actual tension between relative and absolute savings here: which ever optimization has the most absolute improvement on the program's speed is also the one that just happens to have the most relative improvement, when looked at holistically.

Or, in percentage terms, if you say "we can save 10% on this part's speed, but 50% on this other part, so let's do this other part" is misleading, if the first part is 10 times slower to start with, so 10% of that is actually more in real terms.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:00:49 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #154385 on: November 15, 2020, 11:10:58 pm »

"Relative saving" is never a term I've heard. You optimize what takes the most time no matter what, something that's fast-enough doesn't need to be optimized even if it could be faster. The absolute gain's the only one that matters.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154386 on: November 15, 2020, 11:26:58 pm »

What I meant was if you had one thing running for 1% of the time and the other thing running for 99% of the time, and you found a way to shave off 20 seconds from the thing taking 1% of the time, great. But wouldn't you be more effective and efficient if you were trying to optimize the 99% thing first? Maybe you can shave an hour off the runtime there. Whatever you do in the 1% section is multiplied by 1/100 compared to 99/100 in the 99% section. It makes more sense to put more effort in the 99% section. Loop unrolling seems like late-stage finicky micro-optimization to me. It shouldn't be the first thing you reach for.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154387 on: November 15, 2020, 11:40:39 pm »

Does all the optimization stuff apply to every coding language or just some? If only some, which ones?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154388 on: November 16, 2020, 12:01:09 am »

Does all the optimization stuff apply to every coding language or just some? If only some, which ones?

To a certain extent, yeah.  Your program takes up space in physical and temporary memory, and the hardware takes time to do what you tell it to.

Generally, the closer the language is towards low-level, direct hardware interaction, the more control over exactly how the computer does things, and more ways you could make it faster or more efficient.  Higher level languages trade that control for more readability on the human side of things.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154389 on: November 16, 2020, 12:06:11 am »

It would apply to any programming language that uses loops, AND, which as a compiler that does not produce machine code that reinterprets the source into a more compact structure anyway.

(Some compiler options have the potential to mangle attempts at loop unrolling, for instance.)

It's functionally the difference between this:

Code: [Select]

DoThisThing=0

For DoThisThing 1 to 25
Call DoTheThing()
Next

and

Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()
Call DoTheThing()

The second one takes a significantly larger amount of memory, because it has unrolled the loop.  However, it has zero loop structure, and thus frees up 25 absolute evaluations and 25 absolute counter value changes.

If you fire off that code 100 times every second, you are talking 5000 operations saved by unrolling, in absolute terms.   However, if the data used by DoTheThing() has to come from the memory bus each and every time, and cannot be cached, because the size of the program chain has exhausted the space in the CPU, the gains are totally lost, because entire instruction cycle windows are wasted waiting for DoTheThing() to complete.  It's even worse if DoTheThing() has to fetch something from virtual memory. (which can well happen, if basically every program in the computer has had its loops unrolled, all seeking the same performance increases.)

You need to be more aware of the limitations of the system you are running on.

Getting developers to comprehend that not everyone trades out their computer every 2 years like they do (because waiting on the compiler is an arduous task, that their time is better spent doing things elsewhere), and thus the real-world environment their code will be running in is not the bleeding cutting edge they are always using (and where their code runs fabulously!), further gets them in a pissy mood when you bring it up.

The maxims I always hear are "CPU is cheap. Ram is Cheap."  Or, in other words, "You should have a 24 core threadripper, and 50gb of RAM, like I do."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154390 on: November 16, 2020, 12:13:51 am »

(because waiting on the compiler is an arduous task, that their time is better spent doing things elsewhere)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154391 on: November 16, 2020, 12:29:01 am »

What I meant was if you had one thing running for 1% of the time and the other thing running for 99% of the time, and you found a way to shave off 20 seconds from the thing taking 1% of the time, great. But wouldn't you be more effective and efficient if you were trying to optimize the 99% thing first? Maybe you can shave an hour off the runtime there. Whatever you do in the 1% section is multiplied by 1/100 compared to 99/100 in the 99% section. It makes more sense to put more effort in the 99% section. Loop unrolling seems like late-stage finicky micro-optimization to me. It shouldn't be the first thing you reach for.

But that's not the same as saying that you shave off the tight/fast loops vs the long/slow loops, which is what you actually said.

Anyway on the basis of what you just said, you'd focus on the slow loop first anyway, since this is likely taking a lot more time than some speedy loop somewhere else. It wouldn't matter that you're only shaving 1% off that loop, because it's slow, so 1% is more in absolute terms than say, 50% of a very small loop somewhere else.

Think about it this way, you have two loops, both run for 1 million iterations. One takes 10 milliseconds per iteration, the other takes 1 millisecond per iteration. When you run your profiler, the 10 millisecond one is going to stand out since the program is spending more time here. So in other words, your argument about prioritization implies you'd be looking at the slow loop anyway, even if you could theoretically scrape more time off the fast look through optimizing that. The strategy of profiling the program wouldn't highlight that fast loop.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:35:55 am by Reelya »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154392 on: November 16, 2020, 12:35:36 am »

Ok, I see. But in that case you would perhaps look at optimizing the thing inside the loop if it's lengthy enough before trying to unroll.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154393 on: November 16, 2020, 12:39:05 am »

Of course, but that's bringing unrelated points into this discussion of whether it's better to unroll fast loops or slow loops.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154394 on: November 16, 2020, 01:39:43 am »

Wouldn’t unrolling slow loops make things run even slower?
Unrolled
FillRed()
FillGreen()
FillBlue()
FillRed()
FillGreen()
FillBlue()
FillRed()
FillGreen()
FillBlue()

Rolled