Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10280 10281 [10282] 10283 10284 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528545 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154215 on: November 06, 2020, 09:36:16 pm »

Some days, yes.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154216 on: November 06, 2020, 09:43:39 pm »

There are 2 of the same videos of Kanye West's Flashing Lights. Almost entirely the same thing, only thing that seems to have changed is the background color. I've listened to both of these, and they're identical. Look at this shit:

Even better, they're even released on the same day:

Yet they have different comment sections. What kind of freak accident happened here?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154217 on: November 06, 2020, 09:45:38 pm »

It's just the eternal blood feud of Mauve Background Fans vs Brown Background Enthusiasts.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154218 on: November 06, 2020, 10:29:01 pm »

One has the advisory in the corner! DUH!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154219 on: November 06, 2020, 10:50:57 pm »

I like the idea of a parent looking at this and being like: "Nah, my kids can't listen to this, it's got an advisory on it", then looking at the other version and being like "yeah, this one's fine". The kid has now been exposed to the decidedly adult subject matter, though in this case, I don't see it as particularly shocking. Now, something like No Church In The Wild... oh dear. I don't think most parents would approve of that, especially now.

And it's a Kanye song. Name me one song of his that wouldn't need the advisory.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154220 on: November 06, 2020, 11:09:15 pm »

Looked it up, apparently CSF is "salty and metallic" in taste and not sweet.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154221 on: November 07, 2020, 12:24:54 am »

Delph is not just Chinese, but actively living in China.

Rather than passive living. Beware people, passive living kills.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154222 on: November 07, 2020, 08:06:55 am »

I like the idea of a parent looking at this and being like: "Nah, my kids can't listen to this, it's got an advisory on it", then looking at the other version and being like "yeah, this one's fine". The kid has now been exposed to the decidedly adult subject matter, though in this case, I don't see it as particularly shocking. Now, something like No Church In The Wild... oh dear. I don't think most parents would approve of that, especially now.

And it's a Kanye song. Name me one song of his that wouldn't need the advisory.

This is the exact reason I know all the names of all the characters and several episodes from memory of blaze and the monster machines, dora the explorer, paw patrol, top wings, tots, puppy dog pals and like a hundred more cartoons.

There is nothing that pete watch that I havent. Its called parenting and lazy people like to rise alarms, demand some comfy label and then never look back, hiding behind those labels so they have an excuse to not "waste" time with their children.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #154223 on: November 07, 2020, 09:38:24 pm »

I'm looking to buy a lockpick set to pick up yet another hobby I will abandon in 4 months. In China, if you search "lockpicks" in Chinese, you get zero results like the results are blocked. However, similar searches show what most people are looking to buy - slimjims, window wideners, and car lock picks.

Lock picking isn't a hobby here, apparently.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154224 on: November 07, 2020, 11:51:07 pm »

Is that any surprise though? Most locks are jack-shit that can be opened with basic-picking knowledge. Any person with the tools and know-how can basically walk through any unsupervised door. Why would the Chinese government ever allow an individual to have that much freedom?

The reason why lock-picking is tolerated in the West is because the average criminal doesn't actually know how to do it. They prefer to smash the locks instead, bolt-cutters being the prefered tool. Most people who actually know lock-picking are just hobbyists who treat it as a sport, practicing amongst each other and competing for faster times on harder locks.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154225 on: November 08, 2020, 12:01:16 am »

locks only keep out the honest
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154226 on: November 08, 2020, 12:03:31 am »

Often on doors with old locks you could literally just slip a credit card through the latch and open the door. Deviant Ollam has a bunch of cool videos on youtube about this. In fact he says picking a lock is among one of the last things he tries.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #154227 on: November 08, 2020, 12:20:29 am »

Pretty much any lock that can be picked is only there as a marker that you're not allowed in or to deter casual events, because they're too easy to defeat. Same with keypad locks - most of the ones you see in businesses have very simple codes you could guess in only a few tries, because all they're there for is to keep you from wandering into an employee-only area while looking for the bathroom.

When you want to deter serious attempts at entry, you need bars (deadbolts count), chains on the inside, or active security.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154228 on: November 08, 2020, 12:31:05 am »

Often on doors with old locks you could literally just slip a credit card through the latch and open the door. Deviant Ollam has a bunch of cool videos on youtube about this. In fact he says picking a lock is among one of the last things he tries.
Credit cards don't tend to do very well, in my experience (they bend way too easily), but a simple flathead screwdriver, or a pocket/butter knife works pretty much perfectly for jimmying open a locked door that isn't built to prevent it.

Used to do that to get into my own house more often than I probably should have needed to. Back then I didn't have a key to the place and the person that did locked them inside fairly often. Nowadays I always make sure I have a way back into the place I'm staying when I leave it, which you'd think would be an blatant and universally obvious thing, but life and other people have taught me it really, really isn't :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #154229 on: November 08, 2020, 12:33:55 am »

I'm doing it as a hobby, and a potentially useful skill, but not planning any crimes yet. Most lockpicks are made here, but not sold here as much. With some searching I was able to find a set I like and we'll see how good it is when it arrives.

Car theft is an issue in China, especially around here - just because there is a demand around the world for parts coming from here, so you can flip a whole car for decent returns (basically not worth it in the US, as I understand it, so theft is mostly for joyriding or one-time use). So the car-entry stuff is almost certainly for theft rather than locksmiths. Just silly to see the tools for the trade so eagerly on sale.

Security is a goofy thing. Almost all apartment buildings have invested in security (generally retired people who just sit there and read) and digital locks. But since there are so many people in the buildings here, you can just walk in with confidence, slip through a door behind someone, or find one that has been propped open (almost always at least one door is like this) to bypass all that. But you guys are right that most of the time locks are just to prevent accidental entry and security is usually just a marketing point. Digital locks especially feel high tech but are often easier to bypass than an analog lock.
Pages: 1 ... 10280 10281 [10282] 10283 10284 ... 11037