Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10261 10262 [10263] 10264 10265 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14523347 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153930 on: October 12, 2020, 01:18:59 pm »

We call it "Arroz a la cubana" or Cuban rice. Because is one of the cheapest food all around and its kinda complete with protein and carbs.

Its a joke we are worst than Cuba now. Like Frank said, that's life.

Oh I have some idea, in my youth I worked at a McDonals and after that I worked with a friend in a food trailer. Not couting the 10+ years I worked in industrial food procesing and manufacturing. Oh and I sold pork meat one december.

That last one was really messy because we recieved the meat a couple of hours after the animals were put down and had to prepare it and freeze it ourselves, nasty bussisnes not apt for a household kitchen and both my wife and I decided not to keep it up despite being a not so bad bussiness.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:25:28 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153931 on: October 12, 2020, 01:23:56 pm »

The funny thing is that they don't cook it like that in Cuba, despite the label. The "real" cuban dish also has beans, spices, sometimes chicken meat.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153932 on: October 12, 2020, 01:26:23 pm »

Or you can have your eggs like this:

https://metro.co.uk/2016/02/10/important-egg-loaf-is-an-awful-thing-that-exists-in-the-world-5674559/

It's a catering product. If you have to make a lot of egg slices then consider the economics of boiling tons of eggs then only slicing the middle and throwing the ends away, vs buying a premade "long egg" and microwaving it. It's claimed in the above link that it was a Japanese invention but other sources attribute the original idea to American company Ralston Purina in the 1960s (now owned by Nestle).

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/incredible-edibleish-egg-loaf
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:28:15 pm by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153933 on: October 12, 2020, 01:27:21 pm »

I think they call it "Moors and/with Christians" the rice being the european christians and the black beans the african and arab muslims in Spain back in the middle ages.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153934 on: October 12, 2020, 01:30:08 pm »

... powdered egg sounds like something I should look into, especially if you can easily bake with it. Eggs are kind of annoying to cook with in egg form, and what egging I do tends to be scrambled or cooked into something*, so...

*Super easy eggy rice: Cook rice normally, but in the last two minutes or so just crack open a couple eggs and mix them in to the cooking rice and let the rice finish cooking. Quick, simple, easy, pretty tasty.

It is actually quite easy to use for baking.  As I initially pointed out, you can measure the dry powder for the appropriate number of eggs you need, and just add it to your dry ingredient portion, and mix it thoroughly, then just add the appropriate amount of water to the liquid portion.  Mix as usual, and bake.  (and, since you normally use EITHER applesauce OR Eggs, as the moisture holding portion of a baked product--  If your eggs are a POWDER, you can use BOTH!)

The only issue I have with this Government Food Assistance Program Egg Product (TM!), is that trying to reconstitute it with water for use in say, an omelette, is that it does not want to mix well. (sorta like trying mix cinnamon with water...)  It could just be an issue with this "Government Issue Powdered Egg", and might not be there with name brand stuff... but yeah.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153935 on: October 12, 2020, 01:42:08 pm »

Can you also make those wipped egg creams with it?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153936 on: October 12, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »

Not with whole egg.

You have to de-yolk eggs to make meringues, because the fats in the yolk destabilize the foam.

BUT--

You *CAN* get powdered egg white!

In theory, you SHOULD be able to make a meringue out of that!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153937 on: October 12, 2020, 01:56:14 pm »

Lord you people do have anything for everything!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #153938 on: October 12, 2020, 02:09:38 pm »

Oh that dimishes the options considerably. Canned and dry food is the way to go. Crackers, canned meat and fish, vegetables and such. Maybe some bread and cheese/jam for the first week. Also fruit jam (mermelade) which lasts A LOT as long you keep it clean (no double dip and use only clean cluttery to take it out of the container).

Deploy the economy-sized peanut butter jar!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153939 on: October 12, 2020, 02:15:04 pm »

You have literally no idea. There's a reason restaurant food/health inspectors tend to not eat out.
From what I've heard, that's a total myth.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153940 on: October 12, 2020, 03:59:22 pm »

You have literally no idea. There's a reason restaurant food/health inspectors tend to not eat out.

Nope, it's only hyberbole. My dad (a lansveterinarian) worked closely with the health/food inspectors. They know very well what restaurants to avoid and which is okay.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153941 on: October 12, 2020, 04:15:23 pm »

Nope, it's only hyberbole. My dad (a lansveterinarian) worked closely with the health/food inspectors. They know very well what restaurants to avoid and which is okay.

What´s the difference between a glansveterinarian and a regular veterinarian?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153942 on: October 12, 2020, 06:31:06 pm »

My sister inspects various businesses. Apparently Chinese restaurants are ones to avoid :/
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153943 on: October 12, 2020, 06:39:05 pm »

My sister inspects various businesses. Apparently Chinese restaurants are ones to avoid :/

There's a limit to how good a chinese restaurant can be, there is no limit to how bad a chinese restaurant can be.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #153944 on: October 12, 2020, 07:10:59 pm »

Chinese restaurants are one of the few eateries that are almost always run by the ethnicity linked to their food, so you have a tendency for a strong language barrier. They're often also family operated, making for the typical clannishness against outsiders you don't get in a typical employee/employer situation where the employees have a serious interest in adhering to the health codes as much as possible (Health inspectors can and do point to an employee and say "this severe violation was their fault, fire them immediately or I revoke your operating license" - I've seen them do it.) if they're properly trained. There's also the issue where owners will often try to play any violations as "you just hate Chinese people, and won't stop harassing my business", so there's extra headaches involved. This all adds up to a perfect storm of room for issues to breed.

My work gets constant inspections, and I've chatted with a lot of the inspectors. For the most part, they say that the stereotypical horrors of commercial kitchens are more fable than reality. Most places nowadays have cameras in the kitchens so they can counter any claims of food tampering (even joking about such is usually an instant-fire condition even in union kitchens), and serious hygiene problems are usually the result of a failing business.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10261 10262 [10263] 10264 10265 ... 11037