Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10203 10204 [10205] 10206 10207 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555152 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153060 on: August 21, 2020, 10:31:48 am »

Well identity politics do affect people doing crimes, crimes that happen due to a person’s identity, that’s what the hate crime label is for. Not every crime is a hate crime though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153061 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:55 am »

I am black

Huh, I didn´t know Th4DwArfY was black
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153062 on: August 21, 2020, 10:44:39 am »

I think you know that's a hypothetical  ;D

I am from Ulster, after all. I knew the grand total of one black person in high school, though she was a blast.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153063 on: August 21, 2020, 11:39:29 am »

She was explosive?!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153064 on: August 21, 2020, 12:10:47 pm »

Again, it's Ulster.

;)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153065 on: August 21, 2020, 01:09:45 pm »

She was explosive?!!
Again, it's Ulster.

;)
Location doesn’t determine whether someone’s explosive, fuel does :)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153066 on: August 21, 2020, 01:12:50 pm »

Fuel is important, but Ulster is also famously full of oxidizing agents ;)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153067 on: August 21, 2020, 02:11:15 pm »

So, what happens in Ulster dont stay in Ulster because is vaporized?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #153068 on: August 21, 2020, 05:35:04 pm »

Suing for this however.... but USA being the "sue your way to richness, happiness and regain your lost hair land"

This is a corporate-created myth. All those lawsuits you hear about somebody getting millions for trivial reasons fall into one of four categories (ranked from least to most common)

1. The defendant was forced to pay for ancillary reasons - for example, there really are a few cases of "trespasser sues property owner and wins", but in those cases it was a "this setup is so incredibly dangerous that it was going to hurt somebody, so you don't get to avoid consequences of your negligence because you only hurt the "right" person.

2. There's a ton more to the story than you commonly hear - such as the McDonalds Coffee Lady. She didn't simply spill coffee on herself, she spilled coffee *hot enough to melt polyester pants and inflict second and third degree burns* on herself *due to a defective cup* after *McDonalds had recieved and ignored a large number of "You are serving your coffee way too hot for safety" warnings. She was awarded a huge sum of money in punitive damages because McDonalds flatly refused to pay the $10,000 (in 80s money!) in medical bills that was all she initially asked for. Another example is the "Red Bull doesn't give you wings" one - which was actually a "you claim these ingredients give an energy boost, but there's no evidence to support it" case.

3. Dismissed out of hand, but the filing made more headlines than the dismissal - the guy who wanted $2,000,000 for ruined pants got laughed out of court.

4. (By far the most numerous category) Made up out of whole cloth. A prominent example is the "I thought cruise control was autopilot and wrecked my RV while I was napping" story.

This notion is spread around because the lawsuit is the primary method for holding corporations responsible in the US, so the corporations want them banned. So they spread as much bullshit as they can so that people look at the false version of things they've created and think "lawsuits really do go too far!" and vote their weapon away.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #153069 on: August 21, 2020, 05:46:20 pm »

It's almost like the most powerful class don't want to be held responsible for their actions, and have the ability to sway public opinion in their favor.

It's almost exactly like that.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153070 on: August 21, 2020, 06:25:07 pm »

I cant concieve how people could even try to renounce to that. Or how even legally suing can be banned.... in fact penal denounces/acusations which would be the only other way to settle things would be worst dont they?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #153071 on: August 21, 2020, 06:58:47 pm »

Basically, the reformers want a hard cap on awards, which would kill the core function of a lawsuit. Even limiting it to actual damages by axing punitive damages would weaken things considerably - the entire reason punitive damages exist is that companies like Ford were saying things like "Well, this probably won't kill more than an dozen people, and a dozen wrongful death suits would cost less than fixing the problem so we won't bother."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153072 on: August 21, 2020, 09:57:27 pm »

2. There's a ton more to the story than you commonly hear - such as the McDonalds Coffee Lady. She didn't simply spill coffee on herself, she spilled coffee *hot enough to melt polyester pants and inflict second and third degree burns* on herself *due to a defective cup* after *McDonalds had recieved and ignored a large number of "You are serving your coffee way too hot for safety" warnings. She was awarded a huge sum of money in punitive damages because McDonalds flatly refused to pay the $10,000 (in 80s money!) in medical bills that was all she initially asked for. Another example is the "Red Bull doesn't give you wings" one - which was actually a "you claim these ingredients give an energy boost, but there's no evidence to support it" case.

Another example that gets used is a guy who was in a phone box, and the phone box was hit by a drunk driver, and he sued the phone company, and won. This one was actually referenced by Ronald Reagan on video as a ridiculous case when arguing for tort reform / limited liability. In that one the missing context was that the phone box was located on a dangerous corner, it had been hit many times, and they didn't repair the phone box properly. So the guy in the phone box saw the car coming for him, tried to get out of the phone box, and the door jammed. Hence it was negligence since they should have moved the phone box or at least kept it in a good state of repair.

EDIT: btw "$10,000 (in 80s money!)" is actually more money, not less. $10000 now is worth less than then.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:03:37 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153073 on: August 21, 2020, 10:11:47 pm »

I think that was his point.

A billion dollar corporation didn’t pay the drop-in-the-ocean medical fees that wouldn’t have happened had they not served magma in a paper cup.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153074 on: August 21, 2020, 10:27:15 pm »

I think that was his point.

A billion dollar corporation didn’t pay the drop-in-the-ocean medical fees that wouldn’t have happened had they not served magma in a paper cup.

That's not what I'm saying.

They emphasized "in 80s money" in a way that implies that means it's a less significant amount. But that's flipping around what the effects of inflation would be. If you said "$10K, and that's in modern money, adjusted for inflation!" you'd be highlighting how small the original amount was.
Pages: 1 ... 10203 10204 [10205] 10206 10207 ... 11039