Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10160 10161 [10162] 10163 10164 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14551598 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152415 on: July 17, 2020, 11:23:54 am »

I only remember ordenador, bocadillo, y zapato. And most of the lyrics to la Bamba

More than enough to survive and possibly get elected to a public office
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152416 on: July 17, 2020, 11:28:01 am »

Ordenador= Computer, in Spain. In Latin America we use the Computador o Computadora.
Bocadillo= Snack
Zapato= Shoe

Sure, I would vote him for office. Can't be worst than maduro.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:30:07 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152417 on: July 17, 2020, 11:33:56 am »

A: "¿Cómo se dice 'Un zapato' en inglés?"

B: "¿'A shoe'?"

A: "Salud."

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152418 on: July 17, 2020, 11:35:02 am »

LOL
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152419 on: July 17, 2020, 12:19:11 pm »

It helps when you realise the I before E rule is only supposed to apply when you've got a word that makes a single syllable "WE like in Green" sound. The IE in society is s two syllable sound (so-ci-e-ty) and thus doesn't count against the rule.

And even then, you've got things like their/thief.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152420 on: July 17, 2020, 12:59:37 pm »

How weird.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152421 on: July 17, 2020, 02:06:17 pm »

Ordenador= Computer, in Spain. In Latin America we use the Computador o Computadora.
Bocadillo= Snack
Zapato= Shoe

Sure, I would vote him for office. Can't be worst than maduro.

Hold your corrections, murciélago-man!

(South American) Spanish: Computadore

I remember this too because my final Spanish teacher was from South America (I can't remember which country). In my teachings Bocadillo meant sandwich, though. Maybe another difference between Castilian and Latinamerican?

It helps when you realise the I before E rule is only supposed to apply when you've got a word that makes a single syllable "WE like in Green" sound. The IE in society is s two syllable sound (so-ci-e-ty) and thus doesn't count against the rule.

And even then, you've got things like their/thief.
How weird.

Neither their nor weird has and EE sound -- Weird has an "eh" sound and "their" also has an eh sound unless you're me and pronounce it with an egregious german ÄÄ accent.

Thief makes a EE sound and follows the rule.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152422 on: July 17, 2020, 02:08:31 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xszIaNpYILY

Fabio can't believe its not butter, as he bursts, reverse-pygmalion style, out of a poorly done marble statue of himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqtsgH_wnn4

Years later, his wayward female compatriot quests the world seeking a solution to their butter addiction, as Fabio goes feral in the woods, Tarzan style.  She returns triumphant, and presents the hydrogenated palm kernel oil based spread to her loin cloth clad beaux, to which he exclaims once more "I Can't believe its not butter!"

Yeah.  I kept waiting for Prince Arthas to proclaim that he can't believe its not butter, but was sorely saddened that he never did.

Also, if I ever find myself in the need to margarine in the USA, I sure know what I'm buying now!
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152423 on: July 17, 2020, 02:12:42 pm »

How weird.

Neither their nor weird has and EE sound -- Weird has an "eh" sound and "their" also has an eh sound unless you're me and pronounce it with an egregious german ÄÄ accent.

Thief makes a EE sound and follows the rule.

Wot? Yes it does. Weird is WEE-rd, not "word/whirred". "Their" rhymes with "air/heir". There's also "Keith", which is a proper noun and has Gaelic roots so we'll just put that in the corner along with the rest of the nonsense.

...fuck this language, sincerely.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152424 on: July 17, 2020, 02:39:13 pm »

Weird.

I guess Weird could be one of the few exceptions (Keith is another but it does come with the complication that it's non-English roots throws the rule for a loop) but I certainly think of it as pronounced WERD not WEERD and the google translate sound lady agrees with me.

And if I was wrong about their (in which case my egregious german ÄÄ accent is actually the correct way of pronouncing it ;) ), and the googles translate lady agrees with you that I was wrong, then it still doesn't make the EE sound and thus the rule is not about that word.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152425 on: July 17, 2020, 02:41:04 pm »

Depending on the dictionary, US pronunciation is listed as either /wird/, /wɪrd/, or even /wɪərd/. In RP it's just /wɪəd/.
So whether you get to hear an /i/ in there really depends on whom you're talking to.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152426 on: July 17, 2020, 02:43:18 pm »

Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152427 on: July 17, 2020, 02:47:16 pm »

I always thought of wierd as /wierd/, tbh.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152428 on: July 17, 2020, 05:26:33 pm »

There's a subreddit that just pulls a feed of pictures of mattresses on the streets, taken from a website that just has pictures of mattresses on the streets.

I know tsundere sharks is a little out there, as is bread stapled to trees or chairs submerged in water, but this one's been going on ten years, if I noticed right.
Why do we do this?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152429 on: July 17, 2020, 05:52:05 pm »

I'm not sure but I love it!  The pure weirdness of it without any other agenda. 

We seek distractions from the troubles of life, but all art is political.  Every arrangement is making a statement, usually several.  There's probably a meaning to this one too, but I can't see it!  These people have dedicated a sliver of free time into something absurd.  There's something wholesome about that.

Perhaps it reminds me of my friend group's old habit of posting photos of birds.  Far from the prestigious hobby of bird-watching...  Sometimes we just saw birds existing and, without any context or expectation of them being cute, shared them.
I have no idea why they did it.  I was usually sitting in my car in some parking lot, centering myself, taking a moment away from everyone.  Watching the trees, and the birds in them.
Sharing a pic to a reassuring, unconditional chorus of "birb".

don't tell anyone but I also photographed squirrels
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 10160 10161 [10162] 10163 10164 ... 11039