Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10135 10136 [10137] 10138 10139 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14550718 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152040 on: June 21, 2020, 02:46:21 pm »

Simon. His cousin.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152041 on: June 21, 2020, 02:52:54 pm »

IME with having aspergers (obv I can't speak for everyone), its not really a matter of not having empathy, but perhaps not having the ability to express it or in a sense "use" it (to comfort someone or perhaps offer condolences).  Empathy stays mostly internal.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152042 on: June 21, 2020, 03:04:06 pm »

IME with having aspergers (obv I can't speak for everyone), its not really a matter of not having empathy, but perhaps not having the ability to express it or in a sense "use" it (to comfort someone or perhaps offer condolences).  Empathy stays mostly internal.
As a fellow person with Asperger’s I can affirm this, though I’ve figured out what people say I. Those circumstances and now am able to do the comforting, it was just not innate

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152043 on: June 21, 2020, 03:09:20 pm »

the rather blobby style used by Van Gogh, such as in "Starry night" or "The scream"

Uh, are you saying you think Van Gogh did "The scream" here? If not, you had very poor comma placement.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152044 on: June 21, 2020, 03:32:19 pm »

I'm not good at comforting people or reacting well to situations that require comfort. I feel sad internally, but it's like something just "clicks" with other people in being able to respond appropriately on the outside, comfort the person, assure them that I am sad for their suffering. I also don't cry as often as other people at sad things - another example of the proper outside reaction not happening automatically. I sometimes wish there was an explicit predefined script people could choose to use while communicating, to take the burden off of trying to figure out what to say... except it seems like everyone else just "gets" the the proper script automatically.

I assume I'm neurotypical, but I've never been tested or analyzed by a professional, so...?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152045 on: June 21, 2020, 03:36:13 pm »

I also tend not to cry when sad, sometimes I cry when mad or confused

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152046 on: June 21, 2020, 06:03:31 pm »

(I was diagnosed with asperger's as a kid.)

I've built up a good number of "scripts" for communicating, but they break down when I'm unfocused, pissed off, or focused on something else. When I'm just waking up, I basically can't communicate at all because "my markov chains are still booting up" (or that's how I think of it...) and when I'm at work I prefer not to work with other people because I'm too focused on my own task to coordinate with others very well.

I never got very good at comforting people in grief. I can empathize with them, but internally I just don't really care about stuff like people dying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152047 on: June 21, 2020, 06:20:48 pm »

Simon. His cousin.

He's not as handsome

You did that initializing on purpose though didn't you
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152048 on: June 21, 2020, 06:39:47 pm »

(I was diagnosed with asperger's as a kid.)

I've built up a good number of "scripts" for communicating, but they break down when I'm unfocused, pissed off, or focused on something else. When I'm just waking up, I basically can't communicate at all because "my markov chains are still booting up" (or that's how I think of it...) and when I'm at work I prefer not to work with other people because I'm too focused on my own task to coordinate with others very well.

I never got very good at comforting people in grief. I can empathize with them, but internally I just don't really care about stuff like people dying.
While deaths are sad, it is a part of life, and sadness won’t bring them back. I understand that death is saddening, but I don’t see the point in grieving, it just keeps the living sad over something that already happened. I have trouble comforting people as well, especially on the subject of death. It’s not that I don’t understand their sadness, their grief, it’s just that I’ve learned that death happens, and I don’t see the point of dwelling on it. My family has had pets die, as well a one grandfather due to cancer. My brother and I have gone to some funerals of family members who we didn’t know. When our cat Tiger died due to injuries, I didn’t cry, my brother did. My attempts at comforting him failed. When my grandfather on my father’s side died, my brother cried, and I didn’t. We knew that he would eventually die from the cancer, my grandpa knew it too. I also failed to comfort my brother in this instance too. Yes, it would have been better if grandpa didn’t have the cancer, or got it treated before it got to the point where it was certain he’d die from it, but what happened can’t be undone.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152049 on: June 21, 2020, 07:11:42 pm »

Absolutely.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #152050 on: June 21, 2020, 07:23:05 pm »

I did actually feel sad when someone I loved died. I distinctly remember time feeling like it slowed down. It was just so painful, it sorta just happened out of nowhere. A bit strange, since I am autistic myself (diagnosed very early on, 2-3 years old if I'm remembering it correctly). And that was in 2018, when I was just learning to be a normal person, or at least be a convincing facsimile of a normal person. Not much of the "normal person" emulation was really in place at the time.

So it does seem that I do feel sad when people die, but only if I cared about them in the first place. I do get why people would be sad if, like, their dad died. They've done a lot for you, so I see it as a perfectly reasonable, if not strictly rational, response. I don't get why people would be sad over, say, a celebrity dying, since I feel that the celebrity can't have done enough for them to really warrant an emotional response. I see that as waste of emotional energy, which I don't have much of to begin with.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #152051 on: June 21, 2020, 08:29:16 pm »

I mean... it depends on the celebrity. It's pretty easy to see how someone who's works (music, acting, writing, whatever) offered who knows how much comfort or happiness or whatever to you would cause you to be sad when you find out the person passed away. Or just disappointed that someone greatly skilled or enthusiastic or whatev' in their field isn't around anymore, or so on.

Like, I can't say I've really felt like that myself, much (probably the closest I can recall was when prachett passed), 'cause I don't invest much emotionally into any one creator or body of works, but I can understand the sentiment pretty easily. Some folks really do seriously invest themselves like that, spend hours and hours steadily experiencing someone specific's stuff, or have really pivotal moments in their life it helps carry them through, or etc., and for those sorts of folks being pretty tore up when the person in question passes is just... totally understandable, yeah?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152052 on: June 21, 2020, 09:34:26 pm »

Simon. His cousin.

He's not as handsome

SBH is genuinely related to a published psychologist.

I sometimes think that I’m on the spectrum, ‘cause I am supremely introverted and don’t really like to be around people, but I think that has more to do with anxiety than anything else. Being around people, especially those I don’t know, is bloody exhausting.

Equally so, I have great distaste to changes in my routine, and don’t like surprises. Surprises are bad.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:36:22 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152053 on: June 21, 2020, 10:44:23 pm »

the rather blobby style used by Van Gogh, such as in "Starry night" or "The scream"

Uh, are you saying you think Van Gogh did "The scream" here? If not, you had very poor comma placement.

The Scream is Munch, yes.  Starry Night is Van Gogh.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152054 on: June 22, 2020, 12:00:51 am »

Mmmm, existential fear...
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10135 10136 [10137] 10138 10139 ... 11038