Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10090 10091 [10092] 10093 10094 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14548579 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151365 on: May 06, 2020, 12:08:46 am »

It shows up in SC2, too, for what it's worth. Couldn't tell you the context there offhand, tho', I'm mostly aware of it from custom maps. Also haven't played anything blizzard since the goddamn disaster that was the reforged launch, so memory's probably a little fuzzy there anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151366 on: May 06, 2020, 12:11:40 am »

My understanding of a reverse vampire was a creature that pumps blood into its subjects.

Or people who drink vampire blood, like immortality-greedy adventurers in DF.

Reverse vampires sleep at night, cough up blood, and are the exact opposite of immortal. It's also called having tuberculosis. It spreads by them not biting you (coughing).

EDIT: I'm just imagining a guy called The Vampire Hunter who's like The Crocodile Hunter.

"Crikey, we got a live one here"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:15:59 am by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #151368 on: May 06, 2020, 02:20:16 am »

I was poking around in an Alienware laptop to see what was wrong with it (if you're wondering, it's just a slow hard drive bottlenecking the whole system). I went into the BIOS to check what hard drives were in there, and I saw this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This thing has 3 2.5" drive bays and 2 M.2 slots, which is a bit excessive in my book. Who's gonna use that many drives? Is this solely for the sake of being able to brag about how many drives you have?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151369 on: May 06, 2020, 02:38:26 am »

Depending on the configuration, being able to stripe several drives together into a RAID could result in better performance, and reliability.

But again, depends heavily on the configuration, and the devil is in the details.

More appropriately, it should be set up so that the system drive is on the M.2 slot, especially if that slot supports NVME. Then, put games, applications, and the swap file on a reasonably fast spinny disk (that is *NOT* SMR).

The other two slots could be set up as a RAID0, with the other devices respectively, so that data loss is mitigated-- etc.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #151370 on: May 06, 2020, 02:49:50 am »

(that is *NOT* SMR)
I've read some news articles on this recently, but I didn't quite get what the big fuss was about. Why is SMR bad for RAID? for this application? I thought SMR is still fine for single-drive configurations. (Oops, misread what you wrote).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 03:02:06 am by methylatedspirit »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151371 on: May 06, 2020, 03:06:46 am »

SMR has poor random-seek capabilities, so for things like applications and games it would be bad.

A big cheap SMR disk would be great for movies however.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151372 on: May 06, 2020, 03:18:26 am »

SMR works by having the write head occupy essentially 2 data tracks at the same time. One is offset 50% from the other, so that it writes essentially like this:

The idea is that the data track can be "thinner" than the write head, if the writes are offset this way.  The issue is that for random writes, (such as with disk swap, or RAID data), the write operation has to first read the data on the overplapped track(s) for however many overlapped shingles there are, then re-write them all again, so that data is not wiped out by the update operation.  This is slow, makes a flurry of disk activity, and wears the drive out terribly fast.

For data that gets written once, and then read a lot but not changed, (such as archival), it works JUST FINE.  For data that changes frequently, it is GAWD AWFUL. 

Swap space changes frequently.  Stick with CMR drives for use as swap.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151373 on: May 06, 2020, 01:08:58 pm »

Went to a gaming/electronics store, surprised to see that it was still somewhat open(they have an internet cafe-like area that was closed), bought a new screwdriver. Got one screw out of my joycon, but the rest I can't really turn. One is particularly badly stripped, though I almost got it out. It might not be that the screwdrivers were bad, it might be that Nintendo uses very shitty screws in its products.

I did learn of a trick to use a rubber band in between the screwdriver and screw, but there seems to be not one single rubber band in my entire house.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151374 on: May 06, 2020, 01:50:02 pm »

Got atoy for my kid, the screw head instantly disintigrated upon contact with a  screwdriver. Had to drill it out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151375 on: May 06, 2020, 02:12:20 pm »

Found a rubber band. Didn't work. Almost got the screws out, but I can't turn them that last little bit to free them. At this point I'm considering just breaking the damn casing and getting a replacement shell. It's still cheaper than replacing the joycon outright(over $100 for a replacement pair, wtf Nintendo) and on the plus side I get the choose the color.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151376 on: May 06, 2020, 02:19:44 pm »

I used a very thin bit on a power drill and got it out that way.

If you use one thin enough you can do it without permanently detroying the casing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #151377 on: May 06, 2020, 02:52:09 pm »

You can also try gripping with tweezers/pliers to twist out the last little bit.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151378 on: May 06, 2020, 03:19:59 pm »

The toy industry is definitely in a consumer-non-friendly mode.  Poor quality screws with a head-hardness of butter so they strip but self-tapping (or use glue?) so they stick like mad in the things they are holding.

Also related: the increase in use of FRICKIN WATCH BATTERIES in toys.  And where there aren't watch batteries, they are all AAA so they last like 3 minutes.  And it's not because the toys are too small to fit the space of even a AA or C - they are just probably colluding with the battery manufacturers.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151379 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:24 pm »

You say that like watch batteries are as easy to find as the usual AA or AAA.  I can't remember a single time I got a watch battery replaced as a kid, as we'd never run into them at the store, and usually my parents would forget to buy/look for them.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 10090 10091 [10092] 10093 10094 ... 11038