Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10085 10086 [10087] 10088 10089 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547188 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151290 on: May 04, 2020, 01:46:22 pm »

I was going to send someone a quote from TST's Tenets, related to a topic we had discussed earlier. Within a few moments of typing out the quote I became so anxious that I nearly threw up. Even though the person knows TST isn't some spawn of evil, knows I don't believe in fundamentalism, and would probably be fine if they knew I didn't believe at all, bam, almost vomited.

Aiite I'll bite, what is a TST.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #151291 on: May 04, 2020, 01:54:12 pm »

The Satanic Temple, an atheist organization structured as a parody of a church.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151292 on: May 04, 2020, 01:56:38 pm »

I was going to send someone a quote from TST's Tenets, related to a topic we had discussed earlier. Within a few moments of typing out the quote I became so anxious that I nearly threw up. Even though the person knows TST isn't some spawn of evil, knows I don't believe in fundamentalism, and would probably be fine if they knew I didn't believe at all, bam, almost vomited.

Aiite I'll bite, what is a TST.

The Satanic Temple; a religious freedom and secular humanism advocacy group. In particular I was sending them Tenet III, "one's body is inviolable, subject to one's will alone."

They have no issue with it. That's not the problem. The problem is my automatic response to trying to send it was to get anxious and nearly vomit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151293 on: May 04, 2020, 02:05:02 pm »

Well invoking the Satanic Temple for any reason is very pretentious and should be avoided at all costs
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151294 on: May 04, 2020, 02:06:02 pm »

Obviously it's not free energy (in this house we obey the rules of thermodynamics), but it's in theory a hell of a vector for it when talking about a H economy. You make the alloys with renewable and distribute it and store it as you would do with fuel. Then "on site" is converted to hydrogen and then the hydrogen goes to the fuel cells.

Edit: Since you don't need the fuckhuge temperatures or any other special condition like in electrolysis this means is far easier to install a network virtually anywhere. Granted the efficiency of the powder manufacturing might make it unpractical BUT any spare renewable energy dumped into this would be far better, I think I read is better than say pumped hydroelectric reservoirs.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:12:05 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151295 on: May 04, 2020, 02:06:35 pm »

Well invoking the Satanic Temple for any reason is very pretentious and should be avoided at all costs

It is? I haven't noticed. I just find their tenets a useful summary of one view of secular humanism.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151296 on: May 04, 2020, 02:58:14 pm »

Obviously it's not free energy (in this house we obey the rules of thermodynamics), but it's in theory a hell of a vector for it when talking about a H economy. You make the alloys with renewable and distribute it and store it as you would do with fuel. Then "on site" is converted to hydrogen and then the hydrogen goes to the fuel cells.

Edit: Since you don't need the fuckhuge temperatures or any other special condition like in electrolysis this means is far easier to install a network virtually anywhere. Granted the efficiency of the powder manufacturing might make it unpractical BUT any spare renewable energy dumped into this would be far better, I think I read is better than say pumped hydroelectric reservoirs.
The issue is that producing the powder does require to use both high temperatures and electrolysis to produce the aluminium.

It would be much simpler and cheaper to use the renewable sources you mentioned to produce directly hydrogen by electrolysing water.
The hydrogen could then be sold in pressure cylinders.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151297 on: May 04, 2020, 04:20:53 pm »

Volume density of hydrogen storage is beyond terrible, even compressed. It's also mechanically volatile, requires relatively difficult to obtain materials (hydrogen is tiny!), etc..  Using a solid reagent to release hydrogen on-demand may make it more practical, even if it's slightly less overall energy efficient.

Remember the optima isn't the local minimum energy used - it's the lowest total cost (in energy, pollution, weight, etc.) to achieve the desired result.  Minimizing just the energy at the expense of other parameters just may not be worth it.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151298 on: May 04, 2020, 04:47:51 pm »

Volume density of hydrogen storage is beyond terrible, even compressed. It's also mechanically volatile, requires relatively difficult to obtain materials (hydrogen is tiny!), etc..  Using a solid reagent to release hydrogen on-demand may make it more practical, even if it's slightly less overall energy efficient.

Remember the optima isn't the local minimum energy used - it's the lowest total cost (in energy, pollution, weight, etc.) to achieve the desired result.  Minimizing just the energy at the expense of other parameters just may not be worth it.

Yeah, even the dirtier of the two coals in a power plant producing electricity for cars is more efficient than the small gas-burning plants in cars. Partially because extracting gasoline from oil is inefficient, partially scale, and partially because engines are more effective when they're immobile, which is not a good sign for cars.

Hydrogen fuel cells are much safer than burning hydrogen, and produce an amount of power you'd actually want to use in a vehicle that isn't trying to achieve land speed records/kill the driver.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151299 on: May 04, 2020, 07:25:39 pm »

Exactly what I meant. You could have relative cheaper H infraestructure as in "gas stations" everywhere where both powder or tablets or whatever are keep along with regular water and produce H2 "on demand" requiring far smaller tanks and eliminating the need to transport actual hydrogen around.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #151300 on: May 04, 2020, 07:44:15 pm »

Scary idea. People are bad enough with gasoline - having the average Joe at a hydrogen filling station feels like a recipe for disaster. Despite the drawbacks, conventional batteries feels like a much saner option.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151301 on: May 04, 2020, 08:00:27 pm »

presumably robots/safety catches will be utilized?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151302 on: May 04, 2020, 08:36:44 pm »

And then subverted on general principle.

As a general rule, the opponents of progress do not hold views discordant that are with reality so much as they are orthogonal to it. The dangers imposed by hydrogen won't even register with them. What will register is that everyone telling them not to barbecue their hydrogen tank has a STEM job and is therefore a lyin' elitist jerb-tookin' liebruhl to be actively defied, b'gawd angry gurning noises.

And then they will die, and the technoplutocracy will be blamed again, and we're back to square one.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151303 on: May 04, 2020, 09:06:37 pm »

As a general rule, the opponents of progress do not hold views discordant that are with reality so much as they are orthogonal to it. The dangers imposed by hydrogen won't even register with them. What will register is that everyone telling them not to barbecue their hydrogen tank has a STEM job and is therefore a lyin' elitist jerb-tookin' liebruhl to be actively defied, b'gawd angry gurning noises.

And then they will die, and the technoplutocracy will be blamed again, and we're back to square one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151304 on: May 04, 2020, 09:10:25 pm »

I'm having trouble translating "jerb-tookin"
Pages: 1 ... 10085 10086 [10087] 10088 10089 ... 11038