Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10084 10085 [10086] 10087 10088 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14546733 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151275 on: May 02, 2020, 06:54:18 pm »

Out of boredom, I decided to record the voltage, power consumption and capacitance of my CPU at every clock speed from 2.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz in 0.1 GHz intervals. It turns out that capacitance scales quadratically with clock speed, but voltage is linear with respect to clock speed. I wasn't expecting that result; I thought that capacitance was a fixed value, and voltage would be quadratic.

Edit: Strange, I can't get back the power consumption by multiplying voltage^2, capacitance and clock speed. What. Like, I derived the capacitance value from the voltage, clock speed and power, so why isn't it a reversible process?

Edit 2: My dumb ass placed an add sign instead of a multiply sign. Thanks for nothing, me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:46:27 pm by methylatedspirit »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151276 on: May 02, 2020, 06:57:20 pm »

I really wish I could post the details, but I have the weirdest goddam complaint from a customer right now. Someone told her some ridiculous shit that noone should ever tell a customer. It's highly unlikely that it's even true.

Like if you called the grocery store, and they were like "Oh we're closed today because the store manager shit on the apples again. So we need to close while we towel them off".

JUST TELL EM' YOU'RE CLOSED. DONE. NO NEED TO EMBELLISH.

Right? We know you're not actually going to towel them off. A bit of a rinse, at most.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151277 on: May 02, 2020, 07:07:28 pm »

Also this makes me realise, I'm not sure I've ever won a roguelike. Well, maybe I beat IVAN once without cheating, but if so it was only because I got polymorphed into something indestructible enough that I was able to draw the favour of the darkest of dark gods.   
And I think I may have just imagined that ever happening.   

Dear god Yoink! Do you know what kind of achievement that is? IVAN is the tomb of horrors of roguelikes. The point of the experience is to get as far as possible and then laugh at your hilarious, but most importantly inevitable death. The creator never intended for that thing to be beaten!

That last time I remember something like that happening, the creator pushed out a patch to make the game even harder!

So congratulations Yoink. You gave a middle finger to god. Pray he doesn't smite you.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151278 on: May 02, 2020, 10:42:47 pm »

Well, I don't know, like I said maybe I was misremembering and that "win" was actually in wizard mode. But I had a vague memory of once getting legitimately polymorphed into something powerful enough to stomp Attnam, Godzilla-style. Probably more likely that I imagined it, though, haha.   

Unrelated WTF: I have watched so much Community over the past couple weeks that I'm pretty sure all my dreams last night - and I woke up and went back to bed much earlier in the day, so that's two separate, lengthy dream sessions - were basically just episodes of the show.   
Probably even more ridiculous and/or nonsensical than the real episodes, though. Wish I remembered more details.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151279 on: May 03, 2020, 03:12:46 am »

Yeah, I believe IVAN was one of those roguelikes where a successful victory run was supposed to be filed as a bug report.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151280 on: May 03, 2020, 08:30:18 am »

Also this makes me realise, I'm not sure I've ever won a roguelike. Well, maybe I beat IVAN once without cheating, but if so it was only because I got polymorphed into something indestructible enough that I was able to draw the favour of the darkest of dark gods.   
And I think I may have just imagined that ever happening.   

Dear god Yoink! Do you know what kind of achievement that is? IVAN is the tomb of horrors of roguelikes. The point of the experience is to get as far as possible and then laugh at your hilarious, but most importantly inevitable death. The creator never intended for that thing to be beaten!

That last time I remember something like that happening, the creator pushed out a patch to make the game even harder!

So congratulations Yoink. You gave a middle finger to god. Pray he doesn't smite you.

It's a very interesting system, I just wish someone would make a different game with it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151281 on: May 03, 2020, 11:24:27 pm »

Aluminium based nanogalvanic alloys, what the actual fuck...

Why is this in the news? Why isnt everybody trowing money at this? This could solve like 50% of the issues in the world if gets mature and well developed.

I guess is because is something military and maybe could be weaponized, but cmon. It's like the fucking holly grail of energy, placing fuel cells as the top dog and catapulting the whole world to a clean hydrogen economy. This could actually allow to just charge water.... no, heck no, urinate into your car fuel tank and get going.  A little hyperbole perhaps but you get the point.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:28:44 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151282 on: May 04, 2020, 12:14:05 am »

I hear if you ear asparagus if makes your car go faster
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151283 on: May 04, 2020, 01:06:17 am »

The Green ones iz stronger, not faster.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151284 on: May 04, 2020, 01:06:47 am »

Why is this in the news? Why isnt everybody trowing money at this? This could solve like 50% of the issues in the world if gets mature and well developed.

I guess is because is something military and maybe could be weaponized, but cmon. It's like the fucking holly grail of energy, placing fuel cells as the top dog and catapulting the whole world to a clean hydrogen economy. This could actually allow to just charge water.... no, heck no, urinate into your car fuel tank and get going.  A little hyperbole perhaps but you get the point.

Probably because no matter what it sounds like, there is no such thing as free energy.
This stuff produces H2 out of water. But the article does not say that it produces O2. This tells me, that the oxygen stays there, oxidising the powder into mostly Al2O3.
How do we produce Aluminium metal (Al)? By electrolysing it from molten Al2O3. I guess this electrolysis, subsequent alloying and milling is more expensive then producing hydrogen by electrolysis.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151285 on: May 04, 2020, 01:09:09 am »

Well, I mean, I feel like it would take more energy to mine, smelt, and process the aluminum than is produced by this process. This seems more useful as a way to easily produce hydrogen for purposes other than electricity generation. Like blimps. Blimps are cool. Or rapid all-engulfing incendiary bombs. Or quick sources of energy where others are difficult to attain, like mentioned in the wikipedia article.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151286 on: May 04, 2020, 01:34:19 am »

Woke up late today to a call from my dad. 2 hours 28 minutes.

Sounds like my parents might be finally splitting up.

Drank some water, laid back down and slept another 7 hours.

I keep trying to figure out how I feel about this and I honestly don't know.
I feel like I'm supposed to have emotions here but I don't. I'm not sad. I'm not angry. I'm vaugely annoyed that I had to listen to 2 & 1/2 hours of emotional dump, but I get why he did. He didn't have anyone else to talk to, and I hope it did help for him. But... I don't know. I'm usually pretty good with my emotions. Getting nothing but apathy here just feels bizarre.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151287 on: May 04, 2020, 01:39:40 am »

When you dont feel 'anything', it means you havent processed it yet.

Dont ignore this, even if you saw it coming.

Sometimes it takes a while.  When my parental figure died I took almost a whole week before I suddenly got slammed with it, when I was walking at night.  Just suddenly came.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151288 on: May 04, 2020, 11:52:48 am »

I was going to send someone a quote from TST's Tenets, related to a topic we had discussed earlier. Within a few moments of typing out the quote I became so anxious that I nearly threw up. Even though the person knows TST isn't some spawn of evil, knows I don't believe in fundamentalism, and would probably be fine if they knew I didn't believe at all, bam, almost vomited.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:55:06 am by Eschar »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151289 on: May 04, 2020, 01:26:49 pm »

Probably because no matter what it sounds like, there is no such thing as free energy.
This stuff produces H2 out of water. But the article does not say that it produces O2. This tells me, that the oxygen stays there, oxidising the powder into mostly Al2O3.
How do we produce Aluminium metal (Al)? By electrolysing it from molten Al2O3. I guess this electrolysis, subsequent alloying and milling is more expensive then producing hydrogen by electrolysis.

That sounds less efficient than just splitting the water into hydrogen and oxygen, then burning it.
Pages: 1 ... 10084 10085 [10086] 10087 10088 ... 11038