Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10083 10084 [10085] 10086 10087 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547426 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151260 on: May 01, 2020, 02:02:10 pm »

An open-source roguelike that's been around in active development since the mid 1980s. It's a lot of fun if you want to try a classic roguelike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetHack

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151261 on: May 01, 2020, 02:04:38 pm »

What’s Nethack?
Kinda awful.

... Okay, it's a text-based roguelike like Angband/Moria/Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup/etc.  It's one of the first, and it really is impressive that the project is ongoing.

I personally find it frustrating to play because important mechanics are intentionally obfuscated.  I suspect that originally you were just supposed to experiment a lot, die a lot more, and eventually discover all the cute little tricks for yourself.  Which is pretty cool, in theory.  It just takes a *lot* of time and most people will just look things up.  I can only imagine what people have added in the like 10 years since I last tried it.

Edit:  It's very different from most roguelikes, but it is an experience and a classic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #151262 on: May 01, 2020, 02:23:20 pm »

There's tilesets and whatnot available for it these days, too, for what it's worth. Not just ASCII builds.

Though yeah, I'm in the camp that's never really enjoyed playing nethack, as well. It's a classic and a fair few people really appreciate the experience, but just... bleh. Not my thing, even though roguelikes in general very much are.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151263 on: May 01, 2020, 07:22:25 pm »

I like it, pretty much. I make liberal use of the wiki, which is encouraged. I also find its UI delightful.

I've never gotten very far in it, though, Minetown being the furthest.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151264 on: May 01, 2020, 09:48:26 pm »

Nethack is really old for a roguelike and has some bizarre and often terrible design decisions. The current devteam has taken some steps to ameliorate some stuff but there's just so many fossilized layers of "oh god why would you even DO that" that I doubt they'll ever be able/willing to fix it.

I have won it a few times, mostly so that the years I spent on it futilely as a child could be vindicated, but I don't really recommend the experience. I'd advise checking out Brogue instead, it's really just so much better.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151265 on: May 01, 2020, 09:58:17 pm »

'Member when ADOM seemed good?   

Also this makes me realise, I'm not sure I've ever won a roguelike. Well, maybe I beat IVAN once without cheating, but if so it was only because I got polymorphed into something indestructible enough that I was able to draw the favour of the darkest of dark gods.   
And I think I may have just imagined that ever happening.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151266 on: May 01, 2020, 10:22:44 pm »

ADOM is fun.  For what it is.

I remember games used to inspire my imagination.  I used to imagine what everything looked like.  I used to take paper notes and explore every option.  I used to play with reverence for the secrets and accept that there were some things I would never know about these games.

No internet, no easy cheats, no enhanced graphics that left nothing to imagination, no munchin gamers (welllllll, maybe less; we all knew one).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:25:00 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151267 on: May 02, 2020, 03:54:00 am »

You know...

There's a Cartoon Network cartoon that's been around now for quite some time; Steven Universe.

Every time I see it, even just on a tangent (Usually from rabid fanbois/girls), I cant help but see the whole premise as a mutated version of the concept presented in Legend of Mana (an old playstation game), for the Jumi.

https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Jumi

The whole "space aliens" thing is a wild deviation, but the core nugget of "Magical gemstone people with rocks embedded in their bodies", and even "divided into a hierarchy based on jewel clarity"-ness, are so close it's damn eerie.

It's just enough to make me go "Hmmmmmm...." and look at it sideways.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_o
« Reply #151268 on: May 02, 2020, 11:49:55 am »

I found a website that had all the episodes of Steven Universe, unfortunately, it seems to have been taken down

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151269 on: May 02, 2020, 12:30:55 pm »

Why do dog owners love to tell people that their dogs don't bite.

Usually it happens when someone's dog starts barking at me and I prepare to defend myself. In such cases I don't really care about what the human says, because the dog seems to be threatening me.

But today, while climbing a mountain, I met a group of 4 humans and 3 dogs. The dogs seemed friendly enough, so I greeted them with a hello as well, only for one of the humans to say that they do not bite.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151270 on: May 02, 2020, 12:35:21 pm »

Dogs are social, but also territorial.

There are "In" and "out" group dynamics with dogs.  The humans they live with, are strong on the "In" group.  Foreign humans? Totally on the "out" group, unless the breed is specifically been selected for friendliness (like say, with lab or something.)

You are doing right by observing the dog's communication and posture, rather than listening to the human.  The human has subjective bias; THEY do not get bitten.  That is not the same as "the dog does not bite."

However, the encounter with friendly dogs likely has humans that are conditioned to make that statement, because of all the people who expect their dogs to be territorial behavior nutcases.  Again, don't listen to the humans, observe and understand the dogs' communication.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151271 on: May 02, 2020, 01:05:38 pm »

It's also somehow considered an acceptable method of welcoming attention for the dogs. As though the only thing standing between the dog and a stranger petting it is whether or not the dog is known to bite.

So owners will "welcome" interactions by effectively saying that "Don't worry, he won't retaliate if you take liberties".

I know that that's interpreting it a bit to the extreme edge, but that's the image I get stuck in my head. People are just saying it's okay for you to interact with the dogs, but they're wording it in a very peculiar way.

Foreign humans? Totally on the "out" group, unless the breed is specifically been selected for friendliness (like say, with lab or something.)
This is one of those situations where nurture plays a very big role over nature. If the dog is socialized from a young age and learns that strange humans are hunky-dory, then that's how they're going to react. My ex had chihuahuas (which despite being companion dogs, are not particularly known for their stranger-friendliness) who absolutely adored anyone and everyone they met while out on walks. I've met labs and goldens who were extremely suspicious and defensive around strangers, and stereotypical guard dogs like rotties and dobes who just melted when some new person showed an interest.

It's also something you can see happen over the course of an adult dog's life, where a shy (but very appreciate of their owner) dog eventually blossoms into a little social butterfly that tries to say hi to everyone they walk past, which again would reinforce the nurture over nature point.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151272 on: May 02, 2020, 03:44:41 pm »

I really wish I could post the details, but I have the weirdest goddam complaint from a customer right now. Someone told her some ridiculous shit that noone should ever tell a customer. It's highly unlikely that it's even true.

Like if you called the grocery store, and they were like "Oh we're closed today because the store manager shit on the apples again. So we need to close while we towel them off".

JUST TELL EM' YOU'RE CLOSED. DONE. NO NEED TO EMBELLISH.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #151273 on: May 02, 2020, 03:47:27 pm »

It sounds to me like you should stop shitting on the apples, Duna.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151274 on: May 02, 2020, 03:48:30 pm »

Fertilization happens before growth, get it together bud.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10083 10084 [10085] 10086 10087 ... 11038