Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10081 10082 [10083] 10084 10085 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14546683 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151230 on: April 30, 2020, 05:21:53 pm »

Dont tell the german authorities about dwarf fortress and the puppy meat factories.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151231 on: April 30, 2020, 05:28:52 pm »

Dont tell the german authorities about dwarf fortress and the puppy meat factories.
You mean necrobacon
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151232 on: April 30, 2020, 05:33:59 pm »

Puppies are useful to assign as guards and such though. Can't do that with pigs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151233 on: April 30, 2020, 05:43:51 pm »

A while ago, LW did an experiement with the muscle-increasing nature of necromancy.

Essentially chain a necromancer in a glass cell, drop/slaughter livestock outside his box, let him reanimate the animal, and re-kill it before it rots.  Then butcher for increased gains.

Puppies are useful, to me, for assigning to miners and webgatherers and the like, civilians or para-military who regularly go into the wilds.  They will eat the attac(s/er) while your valuable dwarf gets away.

Dogs have always been used both as work animals and as expendable force in the real world.  Not a surprise theyd be used as such in DF.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #151234 on: April 30, 2020, 05:49:38 pm »

Oops.

A while ago, LW did an experiement with the muscle-increasing nature of necromancy.

Essentially chain a necromancer in a glass cell, drop/slaughter livestock outside his box, let him reanimate the animal, and re-kill it before it rots.  Then butcher for increased gains.

Puppies are useful, to me, for assigning to miners and webgatherers and the like, civilians or para-military who regularly go into the wilds.  They will eat the attac(s/er) while your valuable dwarf gets away.

Dogs have always been used both as work animals and as expendable force in the real world.  Not a surprise theyd be used as such in DF.
How did I not think of bodyguard wardogs?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151235 on: April 30, 2020, 05:52:34 pm »

Well, to be fair, most actors, enemies and NPCs you saw in video games up until then were pretty obviously static, stupid and unthinking things.
Now this game suddenly has adorable Norns that reproduce, can learn to talk and make decisions based on previous experiences (no matter how primitive it was based on currend tech) and Oh My God So They're Basically Alive.
It was a hot topic for a few months just how "alive" these creatures really are.

Would probably better not to do that. They're still complaining on a semi-regular basis about how brutal "all those video games" are.
It started with Doom 2, got really entrenched because of Counterstrike and has been ongoing ever since.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151236 on: April 30, 2020, 06:15:13 pm »

So if you wrote a program that prints "you hit the innocent civilian in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc" 5000 times whenever you hit a button, you now have a weapon of mass murder? Neat. Remind me of this next time I look at the "weaponize a thing" thread.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151237 on: April 30, 2020, 11:30:59 pm »

Sure, virtual constructs aren't people so killing them isn't evil.  Unironically.

However...  Doing so on particularly convincing constructs might - yes, wiggle word, might - have a bad influence on one's behavior.

I'm mostly speaking from my own discomfort from taking certain "evil" actions in video games, and the oddly real guilt I felt afterwards - a guilt which fades with repetition.  I'm only wondering if there's some crossfeed.  If that virtual construct made me hesitate before, and later I don't, have my instincts in regards to real people changed?
Even a little.

That said, I've only encountered that from doing harm to particularly well-written characters.  Your average goon is merely a game mechanic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #151238 on: May 01, 2020, 01:21:23 am »

I think my favorite "evil" moment in a video game was when I realized I could satisfy Zoo Tycoon scenario objectives demanding a certain average happiness by using T. rexes and sharks to execute the least happy guests.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151239 on: May 01, 2020, 01:30:04 am »

In Civ 4, when I realized I could nuke the world and vote myself President of Everything Forever with the UN Council.
PKs DF Mod!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151240 on: May 01, 2020, 01:49:40 am »

EDIT: What we're really talking about with real-world sanctions would be outlawing imaginary violence. If you imagine yourself killing someone, the model of the entity you're killing in your imagination is far more detailed than the model of entities in Dwarf Fortress. Your brain is a far more powerful simulation device after all. So we should ban thinking about killing or cruelty then, because by doing so we create simulations of the victims in our minds, and it's cruel to have the simulations go through that. So the crime of Dwarf Fortress would be that it allows you to create simulated beings in your own mind, which then suffer and die, so that would be banned not because of the suffering of the creatures actually "in" your PC, but because it creates simulated suffering in your own brain. And then we'd have to effectively ban anything that mentions suffering whatsoever.

Voy: Random Thoughts
The Aliens of the Week have a law against exactly that. Violent thoughts are forbidden. The punishment is having your "violent engrams"(whatever they are) removed.

More thougths on killing in DF (or any other game) being considered murder by RL law.
If killing in a game is murder, what would deleting a save be? It instantly removes the state of all NPCs in that save.
Or for that matter saving and never loading it again?

If a single kill is murder, would these actions not count as genocide?

Edit on evil moment:
Slaughtering a bunch of guards in the Imperial city as the Gray Fox in Oblivion for killing a Thieves Guild memeber. Sure, it was not as massive murder as what you did, but it is my favorite.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:42:43 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151241 on: May 01, 2020, 02:27:52 am »

Favorite evil
I'm not sure if it's my all-time favorite, but discovering chemical warfare in Black and White was certainly up there.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151242 on: May 01, 2020, 02:38:35 am »

I saw somebody propose that gamers should be held accountable for in-game crimes such as murder and theft in "particularly realistic games, such as Dwarf Fortress". I knew that person for a while so they're not a troll. But, like, we're not even close to the level of realism, even in DF, where we could consider NPCs to be alive and in possession of rights. I, for example, use DF as an anger outlet a lot. Why should we enact nonsensical laws like that, and how would we enforce them?
Not this shit again. The difference between the most complex DF creature and the least complex single celled bacteria may as well be comparing a microscopic spec of dust to the entire Milky Way, respectively. The moral panic I've heard some people have over DF is just crazy, I hope it never grows out of its niche and becomes a problem for Toady.

Speaking of evil moments, I have a few favourites. The most recent one was a game of Victoria 2 as Persia. My army was battered and broken and I was dying slowly because I was in the UK's failing sphere. A massive communist revolution popped up and I couldn't defeat it. As it turns out, communists were popular with under one percent of the population, and much of the rest of the game was crushing several 60k stacks of liberal rebels at a time until, even with the game's casualty limit being around 20%, I had killed well over a million of my own citizens.

The most satisfying thing was seeing police state as an invention pop up and watching existing stacks fade away slowly, slowly, going from 60k to 20k and then to nothing. Even in the uncivilized nations I had conquered.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151243 on: May 01, 2020, 03:31:01 am »

I'm mostly speaking from my own discomfort from taking certain "evil" actions in video games, and the oddly real guilt I felt afterwards

Yeah, I decided not to murder any of the little girls for their little girl juice in Bioshock for example. No matter how many superpowers you get. Hell, it's more fun if the game is harder anyway, so why would i want to do something evil that makes the game easier?

I might have done it once just to see the animation then immediately reloaded the game though. That kind of thing would be more effective if you don't get to reload the game.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151244 on: May 01, 2020, 03:41:39 am »

I always remember throwing overboard all the passengers that constantly puked allover the place and complained in Cruise Ship Tycoon.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10081 10082 [10083] 10084 10085 ... 11038