Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10064 10065 [10066] 10067 10068 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14546806 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150975 on: April 15, 2020, 10:56:03 am »

What happened to good storytelling?
It's dead.

...or is it???

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150976 on: April 15, 2020, 10:58:58 am »

It is if you have to tell me it is instead  of showing me.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150977 on: April 15, 2020, 11:14:23 am »

I can happily show you that good storytelling is dead.
You'd rather I told you.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150978 on: April 15, 2020, 11:36:29 am »

Ok Code Vein is very questionable - forced exposition, etc.  World building should really not take exposition like that - you should just learn about it as you go.  What happened to good storytelling?

Games had good storytelling?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #150979 on: April 15, 2020, 11:51:45 am »

Ok Code Vein is very questionable - forced exposition, etc.  World building should really not take exposition like that - you should just learn about it as you go.  What happened to good storytelling?

In the same way books do, or films do, or any other artistic medium, some is good and most of it is not.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150980 on: April 15, 2020, 12:05:17 pm »

And, somehow, PETA remains relevant. Whenever I read an article on CNN about mistreatment of animals, they always include a quote from some smug PETA spokesperson on Twitter, written as if their colleague wasn't currently strangling a dog in the backseat of a van.

It's frankly not surprising they have ties to organized crime. I mean, this whole thing reads like a money-laundering or massive-scale fraud operation, so really they're already organized crime.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:06:57 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150981 on: April 15, 2020, 12:21:14 pm »

Deus Ex did, off the top of my head.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150982 on: April 15, 2020, 12:22:21 pm »

And, somehow, PETA remains relevant. Whenever I read an article on CNN about mistreatment of animals, they always include a quote from some smug PETA spokesperson on Twitter, written as if their colleague wasn't currently strangling a dog in the backseat of a van.

It's frankly not surprising they have ties to organized crime. I mean, this whole thing reads like a money-laundering or massive-scale fraud operation, so really they're already organized crime.

PETA (and their racist ties) are an important part of the status quo. Why wouldn't CNN fight to keep the status quo relevant?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #150983 on: April 15, 2020, 12:37:54 pm »

Alpha Protocol's been in my mind again recently too.  I think of it like a spiritual successor to Deus Ex 1, though the combat gameplay is about powers more than a typical FPS-RPG.  Guess it's closer to Mass Effect.

It's the storytelling that makes me think of Deus Ex.  Both the bones of the story, about a secretive near-future anti-terrorist organization, and the importance of characters in telling that story.  Alpha Protocol even rewards you for paying attention to a character's motivations, letting you rile them up (or flatter them) in dialogue if you know what they care about.  Alternatively - letting you open fire on monologuing villains for a combat advantage.  At the cost of not gaining intel from them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #150984 on: April 15, 2020, 12:42:20 pm »

I'd argue Metal Gear Solid 2's plot is shockingly relevant today.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150985 on: April 15, 2020, 12:43:44 pm »

When did Metal Gear go from alternative history to low sci-fi again?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150986 on: April 15, 2020, 12:53:02 pm »

Around the point of a dude hiding in cardboard boxes.

Also the functioning mecha thing, probably. I think it has like cyborgs and other weirdness these days, too?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150987 on: April 15, 2020, 01:23:00 pm »

Well I mean, the world's greatest stealth device is a green painted box . . .  Its even xtra choppy
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150988 on: April 15, 2020, 01:58:06 pm »

Alpha Protocol's been in my mind again recently too.  I think of it like a spiritual successor to Deus Ex 1, though the combat gameplay is about powers more than a typical FPS-RPG.  Guess it's closer to Mass Effect.

It's the storytelling that makes me think of Deus Ex.  Both the bones of the story, about a secretive near-future anti-terrorist organization, and the importance of characters in telling that story.  Alpha Protocol even rewards you for paying attention to a character's motivations, letting you rile them up (or flatter them) in dialogue if you know what they care about.  Alternatively - letting you open fire on monologuing villains for a combat advantage.  At the cost of not gaining intel from them.

Yeah, I picked it up a while ago, but couldn't get it to work. I bought it on Steam, so of course I can't get a refund or any help getting the game to work. I couldn't even find a pirate copy that would work.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150989 on: April 15, 2020, 02:05:07 pm »

Do Sex Human Revolution is one of me most favorite games, and not just for the mispronunciation jokes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 10064 10065 [10066] 10067 10068 ... 11038