Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10063 10064 [10065] 10066 10067 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545074 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150960 on: April 13, 2020, 07:39:52 pm »

I broke down and looked inside it.  Apparently the driver maker decided they needed to include video files in their installer.  And two copies of each - one for x86 and one for x86-64.  Hundreds of .wmv files... their filenames indicate how to gesture on a touchpad.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150961 on: April 13, 2020, 08:08:02 pm »

I broke down and looked inside it.  Apparently the driver maker decided they needed to include video files in their installer.  And two copies of each - one for x86 and one for x86-64.  Hundreds of .wmv files... their filenames indicate how to gesture on a touchpad.

You are the first person who looked inside those files to find those videos.

I don't know why you would need videos for using a damn mouse, and I sure don't know why you'd hide them in an installer.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150962 on: April 13, 2020, 11:28:33 pm »

TIL the modern-day German military still uses the Iron Cross as their logo.
I suppose the symbol had probably been used for many years prior to WW2 and all the resulting bad press, but it's still rather surprising to me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150963 on: April 13, 2020, 11:43:52 pm »

The Eisenkreuz was a military medal during WWII, but was not used as an army logo. It served as the German Army insignia from 1827 until 1918, when it was replaced with the straight-lined (and simpler) Balkenkreuz. It was not used again as an army-level insignia until 1956, when the modern Bundeswehr was formed. There was some use by units as a marker, but much of the association is from Allied propaganda (which made use of the long-familiar association - the basic design had been used in the Germanies for around a millennium at that point) and post-war censorship (where the Hakenkreuz and Balkenkreuz were often replaced with the Eisenkreuz in films, TV, toys, and other works.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150964 on: April 14, 2020, 07:00:46 pm »

Starting to watch a code vein playthrough. One of the sounds the enemies make is, apparently. Variations on REEEEEE. Had to hear it a couple times to be sure, but. What.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #150966 on: April 15, 2020, 07:40:00 am »

Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #150967 on: April 15, 2020, 07:41:17 am »

There was an instance of that, aye.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #150968 on: April 15, 2020, 07:42:26 am »

My laptop consumes more power running with the integrated graphics enabled at idle. It's actually better to run everything off the discrete graphics. Substantially so; ~15W at idle, 10W of which is just the integrated graphics. The discrete graphics consumes a quarter of that at idle. 7 hours of battery life at idle lost because of a single BIOS setting.

Spoiler: Conspiracy-rant (click to show/hide)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150969 on: April 15, 2020, 07:51:19 am »

So my big possible credit card problem that I had? Turns out it's kinda my fault, I did sign up for a prime video trial in an attempt to get a twitch prime out of it (as the linking of accounts would allow that, turns out i wasn't eligible for that for whatever reasons) and just forgot since it didn't charge me anything until a month afterwards.

The real fucked up thing here is that my main amazon account showed no history or signs of the sub being made, couldn't even cancel my goddamn sub as the button was non-interactive and the list showed no indication that I had a subscription made, only sending me into an endless maze of useless pre-baked supported tickets. It's only after I managed to dig out the original e-mail (from fucking May last year) and find a link for a cancellation there that I was actually greeted by a site that actually claimed that I did in fact have a subscription and that I could in fact cancel it.

So uh, yeah, fuck me for not paying attention and fuck Amazon especially for making it nigh-impossible to rectify something like this.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150970 on: April 15, 2020, 08:17:57 am »

Starting to watch a code vein playthrough. One of the sounds the enemies make is, apparently. Variations on REEEEEE. Had to hear it a couple times to be sure, but. What.
Wow the voice acting in that is... disappointing.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150971 on: April 15, 2020, 10:11:22 am »

Ah yes, PETA (People for the Evil Treatment of Animals).
Didn't they actively steal people's animals to kill them as well?

There are also uneasy connections between PETA and conservative racist groups.

For example, I read about the stealing animals thing in an article a while back, an example given was about how a PETA local group befriended some latinos, and later came back when they were at work, lured their dogs and killed them in their dog-killing van. PETA supports bans of specific breeds, these breeds are commonly owned by blacks or latinos, and those bans are also pushed by the conservative right-wing who sometimes openly say that keeping the dog breeds out will prevent the "type of person" who owns those breeds from moving into their communities. They mean black and latino people. It's notable that these types of breed-bans never seem to extend to rottweilers, dobermans or other types of large dogs which can be dangerous but are commonly owned by white people.

Source article:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/killing-animals-petas-open-secret_b_59e78243e4b0e60c4aa36711
On October 18, 2014, two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals drove their van to the small  community of Parksley, Virginia. Parksley is an out of the way rural town of less than 1,000 people. The destination of the PETA van was a trailer park located there, made up largely of poor, Spanish speaking immigrants. The park is described by a local resident as “difficult to find unless you know where you are going.” The PETA employees knew exactly where they were going because they had been there before.

Over several weeks, PETA representatives had been visiting the trailer park and befriending the residents. They got to know who lived where and who had dogs and cats. They sat with the families on their porches, talking to them, offering biscuits to the dogs, promoting vaccinations, sterilization, and other PETA services. One of the families they spent time with had a three year old Chihuahua named Maya, a happy, healthy, and beloved dog. And on October 18, her home was one of the houses PETA set out to visit. This time, however, they were not there to talk to the family or any of the other residents or to offer any kind of assistance. In fact, they knew the family was not home.

The PETA employees backed their van up to the porch and threw biscuits to Maya, who was sitting on her porch, hoping to coax her off her property and give PETA the ability to claim she was a stray dog “at large” whom they could therefore legally impound. In Virginia, PETA is licensed as an “animal shelter.” But Maya refused to stay off the property and after grabbing the biscuit, ran back to the safety of her porch. One of the employees went onto the property and stole Maya.

But larceny wasn’t the only law the PETA employees would break. Virginia law requires dogs to be held for five days before they can be killed by shelters. It also requires private shelters like PETA to notify the municipal animal control shelter of any “stray” dogs they take in. PETA would do neither. Within hours, Maya was dead. PETA had killed her with a lethal dose of poison.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:19:57 am by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150972 on: April 15, 2020, 10:12:47 am »

As if peta wasnt unappetizing enough
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150973 on: April 15, 2020, 10:24:45 am »

Here's the relevant bit to read from the earlier Huffpost article:
(note that BSL stands for Breed Specific Legislation)

According to the Washington Post, pit bull bans are more about disparaging racial attitudes than they are about public safety, serving as  “proxies by which uneasy majorities can register their suspicions about the race, class and ethnicity of the people who own those dogs.” The roots of Miami-Dade’s pit bull ban, which PETA supports, was growing anxiety and social tension about Cuban immigration. Denver’s ban, which PETA also supports, was enacted after the energy industry bust resulted in “migration [that] dramatically changed the population of the city”: whites moved out and Latinos moved in. When Aurora, CO, enacted a ban, one of the commissioners stated that she did not want “those sorts of people” moving into her community. When then-Mayor Ed Koch sought similar measures in New York City, he did not do so because of evidence that the dogs were dangerous but because “of who was thought to own them.” In Sterling Heights, MI — a sundown town that once excluded African Americans — a supporter of the pit bull ban called it necessary because, “We have inner-city people who bought homes here.” In Ellenville, NY, officials did not even bother using coded language. They wanted BSL to address the growing number “of Mexicans moving into the community.” In short, says one target of the ban, “it seems that ‘pit bull’ has become a synonym for ‘black.’” Not surprisingly, support for BSL remains strongest with older, white, and more conservative voters and in predominantly white suburbs.

Former PETA employees note that PETA’s “Community Animal Project” often focuses on poor, immigrant, Spanish-speaking, and possibly undocumented populations, which is precisely the sort of neighborhood from which Maya was stolen. When Maya’s family sued, PETA unsuccessfully tried to defend itself by seeking information as to the family’s immigration status under the implied argument that either people in this country illegally do not deserve dogs or, at the least, stealing and killing their dogs should not be actionable in court. In fact, many of the animals PETA kills are from neighborhoods deemed undesirable by the men and women who — indifferent to the pain they cause families — PETA hires to go into poor neighborhoods of color to round up and kill their animals.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:26:47 am by Reelya »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150974 on: April 15, 2020, 10:42:20 am »

Ok Code Vein is very questionable - forced exposition, etc.  World building should really not take exposition like that - you should just learn about it as you go.  What happened to good storytelling?
Pages: 1 ... 10063 10064 [10065] 10066 10067 ... 11037