Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10026 10027 [10028] 10029 10030 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14527444 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150405 on: March 10, 2020, 12:04:30 pm »

"there's a couple of beers in the fridge, can you grab them?"
That's proper though: the noun is "couple" in that sentence, which oddly enough is singular*, not "beers": "of beers" is modifying couple.
That is, you could've said, "There's a couple in the fridge" without loss of structure.  The hint is "a couple".

I think that's wrong.

Consider the past-tense to make the point:

there was a couple of beers in the fridge, before.
there were a couple of beers in the fridge, before.

The first is clearly wrong, so "is" is also wrong.

https://jakubmarian.com/a-couple-of-is-vs-a-couple-of-are-in-english/
from this, the modifier that makes the difference is the "of". If you just have "a couple" then you can use "is", but if it's a couple of something, you use "are".

The Simpsons was a good show, up through the 8th season.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150406 on: March 10, 2020, 12:14:35 pm »

I could argue is still a good show, based only that it stills makes money, otherwise it would have been canned long time ago.

Now a quality loss is indeed apreciable but the thing is newer seasons aimed to newer generations also.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150407 on: March 10, 2020, 12:57:52 pm »

I could argue is still a good show, based only that it stills makes money, otherwise it would have been canned long time ago.

Now a quality loss is indeed apreciable but the thing is newer seasons aimed to newer generations also.

Quality and profitability are not 1:1. It would be easier to argue that they are inversely proportional. See also: McDonalds, reality tv, and Guy Fierre.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150408 on: March 10, 2020, 01:10:30 pm »

So the company I work for did an ESOP, which is basically 4 companies into one corporation umbrella, is not (employer and employee) owned stocks. 
Market value was pretty good $5.65 per share from in 2015 to ending of 2018.  At which point, I was 60% vested. 

June 2019, the CEO decided to terminate the ESOP without notice.  Said something about needing to find investors and having ESOP is very rigid.  Kinda understandable. 

Fast forward ~Sep 2019, a large sum fraud transaction happened, basically making 1 of the company near-dead (this was the CEO's first company).  The company I work for depends on the 1st company in terms of banking transactions, so finding a replacement is a big and time-consuming issue.

Feb 2020, we finally received a statement that the market value is down to $0.156 per share, a 97.24% drop.  Basically, this value is shit. 

Then add to this life's bullshit, the company is not contributing the 3% "discretionary" 401k matching. 
WTF, this matching is one of the criteria that I signed up for this job. 

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150409 on: March 10, 2020, 01:40:30 pm »

All I got is now you work underground and in your next post youll ask us for help, and then after that for brains.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150410 on: March 10, 2020, 01:41:44 pm »

Quality and profitability are not 1:1. It would be easier to argue that they are inversely proportional. See also: McDonalds, reality tv, and Guy Fierre.
McDonals and reality tv are relatively cheap to produce. While the Simpsons I would bet arent as cheap.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150411 on: March 10, 2020, 01:43:44 pm »

So the company I work for did an ESOP, which is basically 4 companies into one corporation umbrella
All I got is now you work underground and in your next post youll ask us for help, and then after that for brains.

Have you seen the CEO's house? What a mansion!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150412 on: March 10, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »

So the company I work for did an ESOP, which is basically 4 companies into one corporation umbrella

Don't they deal with chemicals that are very powerful, especially against living things?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150413 on: March 10, 2020, 05:21:57 pm »

Don't they deal with chemicals that are very powerful, especially against living things?

I've heard they cause itchiness, but also extreme tastiness.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150414 on: March 10, 2020, 06:31:22 pm »

uh...what are you talking about?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150415 on: March 10, 2020, 06:43:58 pm »

You've stumbled into a den of ancient memes.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150416 on: March 10, 2020, 06:50:44 pm »

You've stumbled into a den of ancient memes.
ah, thanks

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150417 on: March 10, 2020, 06:57:20 pm »

ah, thanks

If you want to learn more, Resident Evil 1 was the source of like, 25% of the internet's memes for years.

The voice acting and dialogue was comically bad. The intro was far worse. Somehow this meshed perfectly into the genuinely terrifying atmosphere of the game itself to create a perfect B-Movie horror experience.

EDIT: Here's the intro of the remake from 2002. Cant say they didn't learn from their mistakes. I miss the OG, though.

EDIT: Oooh, a sins video! This hits basically everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djj3cV_cibQ
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:30:17 pm by Dunamisdeos »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #150418 on: March 10, 2020, 07:26:17 pm »

No! Don’t open, that door!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150419 on: March 10, 2020, 07:40:36 pm »

You, Jill, the master of [unnecessary verbal commas].

Ah, the good old days.
Pages: 1 ... 10026 10027 [10028] 10029 10030 ... 11037