Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9918 9919 [9920] 9921 9922 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547333 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148785 on: November 22, 2019, 08:56:33 am »

My English teacher summed it up as such: STEM is the body of the nation, the Arts are its soul.
We feed the body and neglect the soul.
The separation is a peculiar thing. The thinkers of old would not have drawn a division between art, science, mathematics and philosophy, they would not have known to call themselves a scientist or an artist. Perhaps it is because art today has nothing to say, no information to store nor questions to ask. Perhaps it is just because clever people with art degrees become unemployed and starve to death. I know even chemistry graduates struggling to get employed in bongland... Times are fucked breh.

On the bright side even if art dies we got memes. They are like art, but actually good

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148786 on: November 22, 2019, 09:08:04 am »

Also, weren't arts and crafts the same thing?
So an artisan is one who practices their art in creating things.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148787 on: November 22, 2019, 09:12:44 am »

Also, weren't arts and crafts the same thing?
So an artisan is one who practices their art in creating things.

Artisain is not Artist. Max the saw guy is an artisain. An artist would make it prettier at the expense of fragility/it not being useful. Similar, but different.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148788 on: November 22, 2019, 09:15:16 am »

Artisain is not Artist. Max the saw guy is an artisain. An artist would make it prettier at the expense of fragility/it not being useful. Similar, but different.
The idea of art needing to be useless is a postmodern art philosophy, I don't think it's fair to say Max's robust saws are nothing short of useful works of art. Just look at beautiful architecture that isn't a useless abomination of aborted geometry; functional, and art

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #148789 on: November 22, 2019, 09:47:48 am »

Art - fabrication, creation, creativity.

Max's saws certainly fit the bill.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148790 on: November 22, 2019, 09:59:40 am »

Can you imagine if we lived in a dystopia capitalist society, where your employer made you create accounts to astroturf because of their bad decisions? See also: Amazon.

The idea of art needing to be useless is a postmodern art philosophy, I don't think it's fair to say Max's robust saws are nothing short of useful works of art. Just look at beautiful architecture that isn't a useless abomination of aborted geometry; functional, and art

It needn't be useless, but neither must it be useful to be art. If what you make is well-crafted and useful, you're an artisan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148791 on: November 22, 2019, 10:06:08 am »

Can you imagine if we lived in a dystopia capitalist society, where your employer made you create accounts to astroturf because of their bad decisions? See also: Amazon.
One of the companies I used to work for did this on such a scale they got banned from a Chinese review site by the review company

It needn't be useless, but neither must it be useful to be art. If what you make is well-crafted and useful, you're an artisan.
Artisanal art is legit though, like the beautiful mechanisms of an ornate watch. Useful, and art

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148792 on: November 22, 2019, 10:13:36 am »

I legit thought "artiste" was just "artist (including performer) who's especially prideful", but apparently it's officially a term for performance artists?
I blame stereotypes of French art/artists (since it's just the French word for artist).

But yeah, art is a very broad term.  Architecture is definitely art (I learned that playing Minecraft multiplayer).  Design is art.  Crafting is art, even if the results are useful tools. 
Video games are art.
Makeup is art.
Trolling is a art.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #148793 on: November 22, 2019, 10:36:27 am »

Is art anything made to elicit emotional response?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #148794 on: November 22, 2019, 10:36:35 am »

Over a month ago I ordered a thing on ebay, from russia, about 7$ worth of postage, no ETA or tracking, still hasn't arrived. About two weeks ago, I ordered another thing from ebay, this time from japan, free shipping, no tracking no ETA either.

Today I got a postal notice that a package arrived and I'm like, yay I get to fumble around with my new scale model plane kit. Nope, the bloody japanese package arrived first somehow. I was expecting that damn thing next month at the earliest, sort of an early birthday treat or something, gonna have to stretch it out a while now to make it that tho. But hey, maybe the russians will hand deliver theirs by the end of the year :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148795 on: November 22, 2019, 11:09:30 am »

YouTube's recommendation algorithm appears to have completely self-destructed, and is now flooding my suggestions tab with children's entertainment and nursery rhymes.

And to make things even better, apparently you can't select "don't suggest content from this channel" anymore, and have to do things on a video-by-video basis.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #148796 on: November 22, 2019, 11:16:21 am »

YouTube's recommendation algorithm appears to have completely self-destructed, and is now flooding my suggestions tab with children's entertainment and nursery rhymes.

And to make things even better, apparently you can't select "don't suggest content from this channel" anymore, and have to do things on a video-by-video basis.
halo.  Everything halo and half life related.  ever.  I woke up to be recommended a wave of it, from LPs to behind the scenes to commentaries to reviews to cheats and exploits to obscure lore to cheesy bait titles.

Also, a fair amount of 'X, but with audio from Y' crap.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148797 on: November 22, 2019, 11:18:58 am »

If you figure out how to get the weird AI-made children's videos, hook us up. The real weird ones with Wolverine killing Daffy Duck while Frozen sings or whatever.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148798 on: November 22, 2019, 11:41:31 am »

If you figure out how to get the weird AI-made children's videos, hook us up. The real weird ones with Wolverine killing Daffy Duck while Frozen sings or whatever.
What? I wanna see this

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #148799 on: November 22, 2019, 12:32:03 pm »

COPPA's about end this robot's and many folk's career!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 9918 9919 [9920] 9921 9922 ... 11038