Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9842 9843 [9844] 9845 9846 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14505388 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147645 on: October 03, 2019, 10:00:25 am »

Why do people dislike updates?

I update somewhat regularly (and am generally perfectly fine with scheduled updates on macOS or Linux) but I can see why some people don't. Just in the past month, a Windows update borked many people's sound systems. A subsequent update broke wifi. And then the update that fixes the prior sound issues comes around, only to break printers in the process.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147646 on: October 03, 2019, 10:28:30 am »

I think updates are pretty good. You should be patient and wait until it updates. Maybe you shouls upgrade your internet connection?
No, I have good internet - if windows gets confused in the upgrade process, it basically grinds to a halt and you have to restart the update. It's a thing.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #147647 on: October 03, 2019, 10:38:10 am »

People tend to not like it when stuff is getting shoved down their throats.

To make matters worse when you operate on a constant update schedule quality/bug control is no longer relevant, since everything is going to get fixed in a few days eventually. The developer doesn't really care about it but you.. you no longer have a working computer.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147648 on: October 03, 2019, 11:08:02 am »

People tend to not like it when stuff is getting shoved down their throats.

To make matters worse when you operate on a constant update schedule quality/bug control is no longer relevant, since everything is going to get fixed in a few days eventually. The developer doesn't really care about it but you.. you no longer have a working computer.
I thought the point of updates even if they end up not affecting anything to you, may make it harder for hackers since the code will be different from older versions

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #147649 on: October 03, 2019, 11:17:42 am »

tech people tend to be paranoid about planned obsolescence, especially coming from windows. Microsoft has a way of making your current OS run slower and slower with each update, coincidentally around the time they release a new version. Plus tech companies in general have a habit of changing huge chunks of their product overnight with little to no care for the user end experience, just that their jobs are justified since they're changing something.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147650 on: October 03, 2019, 11:45:28 am »

That might not be a bad point

Edit: How did this end up here, it was supposed to be about antibiotics and Cyprus
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:02:31 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #147651 on: October 03, 2019, 12:21:48 pm »

I thought the point of updates even if they end up not affecting anything to you, may make it harder for hackers since the code will be different from older versions

Maybe yes. But in the meantime they made your computer harder to use if not outright unusable because they 've broken something that you needed for whatever reason (work/entertainment). At some point adding extra security just doesn't worth the hassle.

tech people tend to be paranoid about planned obsolescence

It's not paranoia if it's real!11!!!!!11!1

In all seriousness it's just the natural course of events. If you constantly increase the demands in your system  (which is the case with the constant update model) it eventually will reach a point that it will no longer function.

Case in point my old android phone, it came with google chrome pre installed right? Well that (old) version isn't compatible with most sites anymore (text and pictures are all out of place) and the newest version is so demanding that it runs out of ram and just shuts down. As much as I was willing to bother with it, I couldn't find an inbetween version.

This doesn't necessarily mean that there is malice behind the developer's actions but removing the option to control which update you want to install inadvertently removes your ability to maintain otherwise functional machines/systems.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147652 on: October 03, 2019, 12:39:53 pm »

This doesn't necessarily mean that there is malice behind the developer's actions but removing the option to control which update you want to install inadvertently removes your ability to maintain otherwise functional machines/systems.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/22/apple-sued-after-it-admits-to-slowing-down-older-iphones.html

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #147653 on: October 03, 2019, 12:44:24 pm »

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/22/apple-sued-after-it-admits-to-slowing-down-older-iphones.html
But according to the article they do it to preserve user's battery. I think you're being paranoid about a company that charges premium but clearly has your best interests at heart.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147654 on: October 03, 2019, 01:09:11 pm »

clearly has your best interests at heart.

One big 'ole [citation needed] on this.

I mean, Apple products are fine for certain use cases, I'll grant them. But the pro line isn't. When we start poking and prodding as developers occasionally have to at my current company, the whole house of cards just kind of falls apart. If the best interests of the users were a concern, the whole xcode ecosystem would have to be at least marginally less shit.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147655 on: October 03, 2019, 01:12:00 pm »

I mean, Apple products are fine for certain use cases, I'll grant them. But the pro line isn't. When we start poking and prodding as developers occasionally have to at my current company, the whole house of cards just kind of falls apart. If the best interests of the users were a concern, the whole xcode ecosystem would have to be at least marginally less shit.

It's ChairmanPoo. I'm pretty sure it's a joke.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147656 on: October 03, 2019, 01:25:21 pm »

I think you're being paranoid about a helpful individual who clearly has your best interests at heart
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #147657 on: October 03, 2019, 01:43:07 pm »

That makes me want there to be a move/videogame/tv-show scene with a crowd of people saying at the same time "We have your best interest at heart." in a slow monotone.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:45:40 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #147658 on: October 03, 2019, 01:44:20 pm »

C. Poo (2019) "Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O". bay12forums 9838
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147659 on: October 03, 2019, 01:52:54 pm »

Hey now. I get a chance to bitch about work in a roundabout way in the WTF thread, I'm taking it.
Pages: 1 ... 9842 9843 [9844] 9845 9846 ... 11037