Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9712 9713 [9714] 9715 9716 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517330 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145695 on: June 25, 2019, 05:19:41 pm »

There's a bunch of surreal kid-targeted CG videos featuring unliscenced popular characters, often actng completely inappropriately (for the character). It has either been alleged or proven that these are AI-designed.
I guess that Elsagate stuff is still ongoing.
Typical YouTube not doing anything about it
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #145696 on: June 25, 2019, 05:35:05 pm »

There's a bunch of surreal kid-targeted CG videos featuring unliscenced popular characters, often actng completely inappropriately (for the character). It has either been alleged or proven that these are AI-designed.
To be fair, trying to ban these Elsagate-related channels is sort of like playing exponential whack-a-mole; ban one, and two take their place. Plus, the only way to make YouTube care is to threaten their bottom line, I think.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145697 on: June 25, 2019, 06:40:16 pm »

To be fair, trying to ban these Elsagate-related channels is sort of like playing exponential whack-a-mole; ban one, and two take their place. Plus, the only way to make YouTube care is to threaten their bottom line, I think.

Is that the stuff with the random AI-generated kid content with all kinds of disturbing violent stuff?

If so YouTube did do a bunch of purges of it, though the problem does persist.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145698 on: June 25, 2019, 07:05:11 pm »

I have never heard of this. Something tells me that's a good thing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145699 on: June 25, 2019, 09:01:50 pm »

I did have to watch out for some baby shark or others such videos laced with some jump scares or creppy stuff in the middle of the videos. What sick fuck would do that kind of shit? I mean there's no monetary gain nor even a claim of fame out of it. It's done merelly for fucks sake and sadism.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145700 on: June 25, 2019, 09:09:41 pm »

If one wanted an honest sample of it, where would one go?  I dont want to chance the most popular ones or the ones youtube itself recommends.

Like is it Ren and Stimpy bad or Rocko's modern life bad, or just really weird like sesame street parody bad?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145701 on: June 25, 2019, 09:17:03 pm »

It's more like momo telling children to cut themselves up or some sick shit like that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #145702 on: June 25, 2019, 09:19:34 pm »

Yeah, disturbing stuff rather than adults inserting references that go over kid’s heads.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145703 on: June 25, 2019, 09:21:42 pm »

yea.  I think i saw the one he mentioned.  something about youll die and your parents will meet me unless you cut your legs.

thats just . . . disturbing in its own way.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145704 on: June 25, 2019, 10:15:42 pm »

I did have to watch out for some baby shark or others such videos laced with some jump scares or creppy stuff in the middle of the videos. What sick fuck would do that kind of shit? I mean there's no monetary gain nor even a claim of fame out of it. It's done merelly for fucks sake and sadism.
Actually, supposedly there is, in fact, monetary gain out of it, since somehow these videos managed to be monetized and tend to get many views

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145705 on: June 26, 2019, 12:22:07 am »

Retsupurae, well Slowbeef & TieTuesday watched a few I think.  I'm gonna say NSFW - there's at least violence with uncanny, creepy blood.  And uh, a toddler getting hurt.  I didn't rewatch this one all the way yet but I'm pretty sure there are some sexually suggestive themes in this one or another one they watched.

Posting it anyway because it's pretty disturbing if these are getting targeted at children?  I don't know anything for sure, except that I'm concerned.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145706 on: June 26, 2019, 08:52:13 am »

If one wanted an honest sample of it, where would one go?  I dont want to chance the most popular ones or the ones youtube itself recommends.

Like is it Ren and Stimpy bad or Rocko's modern life bad, or just really weird like sesame street parody bad?

"Elsagate" videos are their own category of bad. The concept is that you exploit the fact that the Youtube Kids app doesn't give you any choice of the "next video", it's entirely auto-play, which is meant to "safely" to keep kids out of the nastier Youtube content. So the "audience" is actually the algorithm and the quality of the content doesn't even matter. "Youtube Kids" is what parents plop their toddler in front of so that stuff is flashing on the screen. Since the algorithm is the actual audience their trying to please, the content tends to be very repetitive and samey.

There are a few "formulas" found to work to game the algorithm, and "elsagate" type videos are one of the most well-known ones, however there are others. type "elsa and" into google and the auto-complete is "elsa and spiderman". That's a good way to sample this content, precisely because this is content that games the recommendation system itself. Picked at random:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D_e2fbMcpc
Try and bear with it for a minute or two, then note this has 32 million views, and the first official Captain Marvel trailer only managed 58 million view. And note that this ElsaGate video had age-restrictions put on it as part of the general crackdown on this material, or it would probably be at 100 million views by now. Then note that this elsagate video only has 4800+ comments compared to 158000+ on the Captain Marvel trailer. That is because most of the views come from the kid's app, not the normal youtube. From the total views you can see why this sort of cheap content was so lucrative.

this video is a good example of how Elsagate works. Royalty free music over a video of some people wearing cheap cosplays of the same set of Marvel / DC / Disney characters and fooling around. And the title is the incomprehensible "Spiderman & Frozen Elsa TROLLEY CRASH! w/ Maleficent Joker Disney Princess Anna Toys! Superhero IRL" which is loaded with keywords to grab views from the next-video-for-kids algorithm. Note, that even though these videos are made by very diverse groups they almost always feature identical casts, because the casts are determined by (1) what cheap cosplays are available and (2) by the algorithm, which is a self-reinforcing selection mechanism: the more elsa-gate videos feature the same cast, the more those search-terms get selected for.

There was even one of those inane "pranks" channels where the edgelord creators go and race-bait black guys with the n-word then whine "it's a prank!" when the black guys try and beat them up. Then, one day they turned into an Elsagate channel, without even bothering to rebrand or anything. Subscribers tuned in one day expecting edgy asshole pranks, and were treated to something like the above video, and were like "yo wtf".

Some of the elsagate videos are "sexier" than others, e.g. some have better looking girls in sexier cosplay, innuendo etc, but nothing worse than you'd see on free to air TV anyway if you were a kid growing up. If you were a kid at home and there was nothing on and you flicked to Days of Our Lives, you'd get more lewd content than the lewdest Elsagate video. Hell, re-runs of I Dream of Jeannie are a hell of a lot more lewd than these videos, and they used to play that at about 4pm in the afternoon when I was in school.

Also, the issue is that they can ban specific iterations of it, but the basic concept is the same: there are various 'formulas' for gaming the autoplay system, which leads to everyone being channeled in junk content on Youtube Kids. Sure, the few "disturbing" videos that happen to appear in their from time to time are worrying, but the core problem that your kid is watching hours of absolute mindless trash is actually a bigger problem than the fact that in e.g. one video you can see elsa's cleavage. Kids often don't even pick up that stuff: innuendo goes right over their heads. It's the parents who get offended, not the kids who get disturbed by it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:04:05 am by Reelya »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145707 on: June 26, 2019, 10:25:43 am »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145708 on: June 26, 2019, 10:55:26 am »

Ffs why in the name of the emprah a light bulb needs a machine spirit?

We are the real Mechanicum indeed.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145709 on: June 26, 2019, 11:11:28 am »

That is totally how the machine priests would talk to certain machine spirits, now that I think of it. Basically turn it on and off at random intervals until it starts working.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:17:21 pm by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 ... 9712 9713 [9714] 9715 9716 ... 11037