Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9711 9712 [9713] 9714 9715 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517395 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145680 on: June 25, 2019, 04:04:44 am »

Could EMS actually get around the processor limit? I was always under the impression that the processor max still applied, and EMS/XMS were merely protocols designed to get around the 8088-induced limitations on what DOS (an 8-bit OS that Microsoft was never able to upgrade to 16 or 32 bit without breaking software) could access.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145681 on: June 25, 2019, 05:31:06 am »

YES.  That was the intent.  An 8088 (which EMS was meant for) could ONLY address 1mb of memory, TOTAL.  That is why the page frame is between 640k and 1MB, in the adapter rom region. :P

DOS actually uses 12 bit addressing, btw. :P  That's why it is 1mb, and not 256kb. :P

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:35:56 am by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145682 on: June 25, 2019, 05:50:36 am »

That math isn't right at all.

It's 20 bit, not 12 for 8088. There's no "nice" number of bits that gives 256K of address space (that would be 18 bit actually). The 'base' is 64KB for 16-bit addressing and the extra 4 bits means x16, so 1MB for 20-bit.

Even 8-bit computers used 16-bit address space (64K)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:58:12 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145683 on: June 25, 2019, 06:08:14 am »

YES.  That was the intent.  An 8088 (which EMS was meant for) could ONLY address 1mb of memory, TOTAL.  That is why the page frame is between 640k and 1MB, in the adapter rom region. :P

DOS actually uses 12 bit addressing, btw. :P  That's why it is 1mb, and not 256kb. :P

Interesting. I've only ever heard of it in the context of 286 and later PCs trying to access the extra RAM without being able to use Protected Mode.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145684 on: June 25, 2019, 07:20:47 am »

Reelya is correct. I am asleep at the wheel.

To understand the evolution of EMS you need to know that it originally was a hardware memory expansion.  The poster child being the 8bit intel above board.

It was designed for 8088 based systems.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145685 on: June 25, 2019, 12:43:56 pm »

Youtube is recommending me anti-feminist and pro-trump stuff that it basically shouldn't be. I'm a little disturbed, due to the context of how I use the site.

Edit: apparently I'm getting pro-trump mouthbreather-level stuff because I watched a few clips from the show Father Ted, a sitcom about Irish priests. So blow me if I know how Youtube's algorithms work.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:49:55 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #145686 on: June 25, 2019, 01:14:19 pm »

Use this. Even if one's not annoyed by reactionary MAGA stuff, there are fuckers that post literal spoilers in the thumbnails and titles.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145687 on: June 25, 2019, 01:23:01 pm »

Use this. Even if one's not annoyed by reactionary MAGA stuff, there are fuckers that post literal spoilers in the thumbnails and titles.
Thanks! I didn't realise you could completely block stuff like, that. Downloading it now.
One wheel short of a wagon

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145688 on: June 25, 2019, 03:51:13 pm »

Youtube is recommending me anti-feminist and pro-trump stuff that it basically shouldn't be. I'm a little disturbed, due to the context of how I use the site.

Edit: apparently I'm getting pro-trump mouthbreather-level stuff because I watched a few clips from the show Father Ted, a sitcom about Irish priests. So blow me if I know how Youtube's algorithms work.

Nah, they're giving that to everyone. Google (and other tech companies) are major users of immigrant labor, because they pay for the visas and can cut people off if they speak up about pay or work practices.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145689 on: June 25, 2019, 04:13:55 pm »

Also, by repeatedly x'ing the things in your Recommendations for Youtube you can cut whole categories of stuff out and reshape what it gives you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145690 on: June 25, 2019, 04:18:13 pm »

Also, by repeatedly x'ing the things in your Recommendations for Youtube you can cut whole categories of stuff out and reshape what it gives you.
that is effort, and I find it often tries to add in whatever slightly deviant thing I watch next.

Which is often music, or some memey thing from a certain dwarfy site full of nerds who reference old tv memes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145691 on: June 25, 2019, 04:43:16 pm »

Youtube's notorious for the way the algorithm likes to steer you to objectionable content, because the algorithms appear to be fairly simplistic. Even simple gaming videos can land you in Altrightistan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145692 on: June 25, 2019, 04:50:53 pm »

I just occasionally get suggestions littered with those weird machine-generated kids videos. I usually go through and mark them all as Not Interested, but it still happens...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145693 on: June 25, 2019, 04:56:09 pm »

the what kiddie vids?  like baby shark?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145694 on: June 25, 2019, 05:02:49 pm »

There's a bunch of surreal kid-targeted CG videos featuring unliscenced popular characters, often actng completely inappropriately (for the character). It has either been alleged or proven that these are AI-designed.
Pages: 1 ... 9711 9712 [9713] 9714 9715 ... 11037