Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9707 9708 [9709] 9710 9711 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517810 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145620 on: June 22, 2019, 11:13:31 am »

Unrelated: These diamonds I found in the woods are delicious.

[munch munch munch]
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145621 on: June 22, 2019, 01:02:09 pm »

When I walked among the living, I used to torment some guy with my magic as a way to compensate for my low height, until one day in the woods...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145622 on: June 22, 2019, 01:14:42 pm »

That reminds me, I can't even remember what he did now because the details have faded but I think I strangled him twice. He used his bullshit magic midget powers to come back the first time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145623 on: June 22, 2019, 01:45:58 pm »

Seems on topic:
Midget song

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #145624 on: June 22, 2019, 02:30:13 pm »

I don’t know where this discussio. is going, but I’m terrified, confused, and extremely curious to find out.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #145625 on: June 22, 2019, 07:00:31 pm »

So when I first encountered Redcaps in the Pathfinder: Kingmaker computar gaem I thought they were just Pathfinder's (the tabaltep gaem) overly edgy attempt at making a "dark and gritty" monster out of the common gnomeTOMTE myth. But looking them up today, originally just to see if I remembered their name correctly, turns out they are a real thing. Well, not real, obviously. But a critter from real folklore. And they seem to be pretty darn dark an gritty in them too.

I felt this was relevant.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145626 on: June 22, 2019, 07:03:14 pm »

I learned about redcaps from Magic and Mayhem, back in ye olde daye.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145627 on: June 22, 2019, 08:47:40 pm »

Man, I first learned about Red Caps in Prisoner of Azkaban. Long before I ever even knew about Pathfinder.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #145628 on: June 22, 2019, 09:48:00 pm »

Y'all people are friggin' weird to actually remember when you first heard of a specific random fantasy/mythology fodder critter.

Assuming you actually do and it's not just your brain fucking with you like it apparently likes to do vis a vis memories. Been running across stuff on more recent memory research lately, and I've come to the conclusion you might as well not even bother to try. Odds are pretty good anything like that didn't actually happen like you remember it, apparently. Our general recall accuracy as a species seems to be somewhere in the region of goddamn atrocious.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145629 on: June 22, 2019, 10:06:59 pm »

As a species? I haven't seen any research showing that other animals are any better at memory. The more interesting observation would be that we tend to be a lot more confident in the accuracy of our memories than we should be.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145630 on: June 22, 2019, 10:35:43 pm »

Our memories are adapted to make us as socially superior as possible, even as our morality screams in pain from the pretzel twists.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145631 on: June 22, 2019, 10:37:35 pm »

I had a dream last night that ended in me strangling a midget to death in the woods because he wouldn't stop using his evil magicks to wreck my life.

How are you guys today.
I just woke up from a dream where I was playing this pretty sweet, tank-centric multiplayer shooter, speeding around in my tank blasting enemies, when suddenly I was yanked into this long-winded cutscene depicting some multi-national council of peace talks or whatever - but I was still in my tank, driving around the war room firing my weapons at the delegates and all but unable to actually effect anything.
It was kind of a frustrating end to a pretty fun dream.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #145632 on: June 22, 2019, 10:40:28 pm »

As a species? I haven't seen any research showing that other animals are any better at memory. The more interesting observation would be that we tend to be a lot more confident in the accuracy of our memories than we should be.
As a species, as in our brainmeats in general ain't good at it and none of us are particularly free of the issue, even before various sorts of cognitive degeneration sinks its claws in. Haven't seen anything mentioning comparative cross species capability, but that doesn't somehow mean we're good at.

We are a lot more confident in our memories than we have actual grounds to be, though, yeah. The implication of that being we're pretty bad at remembering stuff accurately. Drum on that front seems to be getting noticed and beat in particularly in relation to eye-witness testimony (and confessions) in legal/criminal cases, where it's getting ever more increasingly clear both are unreliable as all hell.

... in any case, in unrelated wtf, there's this:
Quote from: Spirit Immortal, chapter something or another
Unfortunately, she never did become a Spirit Immortal, but she did leave behind eight remarkable children, each awakening different water elemental Spirits.”

“Monarch of the Oceans, The Colossal Leviathan
Champion of the Swamp, The Divine King Serpent
Terror of the Seas, The Abominable Cthulhu
Majesty of the Rivers, The Seven-Headed Hydra
Beauty of the Arctic, The Enigmatic Narwhal
Devourer of Tides, The Obsidian Xuanwu
Emperor of the Lagoon, The Heavenly Sturgeon
Eminence of the Lake, The Sovereign Koi
Fish, legendary aquatic creatures of myth, and then Cthulhu. One of these is not like the others.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145633 on: June 22, 2019, 10:43:46 pm »

Cthulu seems to have been entrenched so heavily in modern pop-culture that it is increasingly hard to distinguish it from more "genuine" legendary creatures.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145634 on: June 22, 2019, 10:48:55 pm »

Aye, problem is that we can say that we have bad memories, but bad compared to what? We can't say (for lack of data) they're bad compared to other animals, we certainly can't say they're bad compared to any extraterrestrials or something, and we certainly do have better memories than inanimate objects, plants, fungi, or bacteria by virtue of having memories at all. The only thing that our memory is actually worse than is our own perception of how good our memory is.
That is, our problem isn't the fact that we're bad at remembering things, it's that we vastly overestimate our own ability to remember things.

Okay, you could say that computers have "good" memory, but that kind of memory works completely differently to our own.
Pages: 1 ... 9707 9708 [9709] 9710 9711 ... 11037