Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9639 9640 [9641] 9642 9643 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544591 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #144600 on: April 29, 2019, 04:15:26 am »

Speak this word carefully.  I myself have only grazed upon its fruits, not yet sought direct experience.
Yeah, well, I've actually gone for the raw dog in that regard. Which you'd think would mean I could remember the name of it when referring to its arcane mechanics, but apparently no.

Also I agree that botany is OP when/if they have direct access to a grinder, but back in the day when they had to finagle the *chef*?  Chemists, pah.  Whining because the public service department gets access to their toys.

After a lot of effort, while serving the public.
Sure, mass-producing certain compounds with system mastery is pretty powerful.
If you get mutagen.  From chemistry...  Or patience.
Botany was hysterically overpowered when I was playing around last year, and nobody wants to be the guy who nerfs them (they're not quite as sacred as Science's ludicrous stupidity, but they're also just "poor lil' botany" and nobody wants to admit that they're out of control) so I can't imagine they're any less powerful now. Not only do they have their own grinders, they also have lots of other toys that can only be used by that department. Biomass vendors make me feel strange things, because they're exceptionally useful but it's also a nonsense stopgap measure that exists because nobody can trust Cargo to do anything remotely related to their job.

And Chemistry mainly whines about Bot for two reasons... 1) You need to give them one of your dispensers unless you feel like making BOTH departments less efficient by having to constantly feed them thousands of units of mutagen just to do their basic job, and 2) They get exclusive access to the best healing, toxic, stimulating, transformative and explosive chems in the game. Chemistry simply does not have the materials (or even the recipes!) to synthesize chems of similar strength.

So not only do you have to surrender "your" equipment to them, they will proceed to do a better job than you ever could have done with them. The entire chemistry department is metaphorically cuckolded by a couple hippie hicks in garish overalls.

Well at least there's still Medbay... I mean, sure, after Botany slapped mutant Gaia all over the place there's no longer a need for any kind of healing supplies, and they also smashed open cloning for easy access while providing a pod people alternative, but on the off chance there's an appendicitis event YOU CAN STILL BE RELEVANT!

...wait, no, Robotics took care of it. Nevermind.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144601 on: April 29, 2019, 08:00:01 am »

You’re missing Wisconsin weather though.

It’s been 50s-60s all week.

9” of snow forecast for tomorrow.

I know I am. It's only 70 right now here, because the sun hasn't risen yet. In a month or so, that'll be 80 before dawn.

What are the screen rotation hotkeys even good for, anyway? I remember, as a child, just pressing random keys on this Windows XP computer and accidentally triggering it. I thought I broke the damned computer.

I did the same. Then my coworkers thought their computers were broken...for some reason. Also, I think you could do that even with the computer locked.

I sort of shuffled through my retail job today. It's only for the weekend, I know, but it's somewhat discouraging to think of all the time I've spent building bricks for my future, yet there's an extremely good chance the next few years of life will see me be a full-time retail shuffler.

The WTF part being that it was so extremely boring. There was nothing to do today at all. I tried to look busy shifting things around, and that's it. Some foreign fella clicked his fingers at me and called me 'boy', and that's about as much excitement as I got.

Is that why the box crusher was leaking red oil and making funny noises? Oh, well.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #144602 on: April 29, 2019, 08:16:27 am »

... red oil?

I honestly don't follow.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144603 on: April 29, 2019, 09:14:24 am »

... red oil?

I honestly don't follow.

People squeezings.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #144604 on: April 29, 2019, 09:15:59 am »

Ahhh, I see. My confusion stemmed from the fact that I usually associate people squeezings with my morning drink and not my workplace.  ;)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144605 on: April 29, 2019, 04:12:41 pm »

Dude from the ultra-central 18m2 apartment messaged me today. Said that if I was still interested, he could send over a contract for me to look over and I could move in May 12th. Provided I familiarized myself with the standard rules for the building, of course.

Then the dude from the 5-minute-bus-from-central 30m2 apartment messaged me with "Hey, how are you for the security deposit and first month's rent? I've got another showing tomorrow at 10, so I'll call you at 10:15. Feel free to call me at 10:15 if you don't hear from me. If we can figure out an agreement, you can move in tomorrow."

The fuck? Well, I mean... At least I'm getting a place, yeah? I just need to figure out which place I want and who I want to deal with as a landlord. And then it's just the teensy prospect of having The Conversation with my girlfriend, and starting the process of moving stuff over. Jesus.

When it moves, it moves fast.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144606 on: April 29, 2019, 04:54:47 pm »

Pros and con kagus. Make a list and compare it. Try to imagine you already living in either place  see which one will make you happier or fit better in your routine.

If that fail go with the cheaper one, and this doesn't just mean the cheaper rent, consider daily public transport fares or gasoline/diesel expenditures in the equation. Also services and what not. I.e. a place that's 100$ less a month but makes you spend 150$ more in bus tickets isn't really cheaper for you.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:57:44 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144607 on: April 29, 2019, 05:15:19 pm »

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out which one would actually be better for my routine as such. The 30m2 is more-or-less cheaper and nicer, but it's a little bit out of the way (public transit connection is very nice though, at least when it works) and I'm a little bit concerned with how much of a flake the dude has been. But we got along fairly well face-to-face, and we'll talk more tomorrow.

The 18m2 is a bit cramped, but you cannot beat the location... And the landlord/neighbor has been very professional the whole way through.

In other news, fucking fuck it really all does move at once. The friend who ghosted me after I confessed stronger feelings for her a few weeks ago has suddenly and inexplicably written up a reply to the message I sent her. I mean, I walked past her today and said hi, but now I've got this thing sitting in my inbox. Now to see what it says, eh?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144608 on: April 29, 2019, 05:20:16 pm »

How the hell you gonna cliffhanger us like that. XD
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144609 on: April 29, 2019, 05:28:14 pm »

Back working once again, which is nice. They got a few new machines only a couple of weeks ago. They're all already broken.

It's like I never left.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144610 on: April 29, 2019, 05:39:30 pm »

How the hell you gonna cliffhanger us like that. XD
Well, it's half past midnight for one thing.

Second, I was kinda expecting a long read, what with Facebook notifying me that there were two messages.

So, yeah. I spilled my guts in a message, got the *seen, and haven't heard peep from her in the nearly three weeks since. Today I bump into her, and a few hours later I get a fairly short summary: "I just wanted to run and hug you today. I've missed you and hope you're doing well! I've been horrible at answering because I don't know what to say and don't want to lose such a great friend".

Like... Yeah, it does seem like she still cares about me and appreciates having me as a friend, it's just... She could've fucking said something. Fucking anything. Some kind of acknowledgement that my laying all my cards on the table (which was neither a quick nor an easy process let me tell you) actually meant something, anything, to her. But nah, apparently I needed to personally show up and make it convenient to think about me again in order to get a sign of life.

Fuck it. I'm way too tired to come up with anything resembling a coherent response right now. Tomorrow's gonna be a nutty day! GoT, Indian takeaway, and every-fucking-thing else!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144611 on: April 29, 2019, 05:45:35 pm »

Hey mang, think about how much stress it caused you just to send that off. She might need some time to process it properly herself.

This is a good sign she's not wanting to reject you 100%-even-friendship that she's taken the time to say hey and shoot off a short message after seeing you. It's a pretty shitty spot to be in, for both of you. A little patience goes a long way here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144612 on: April 29, 2019, 05:47:45 pm »

People are weird like that kagus. In my youth I was more or less like that. Today I still struggle to cope, connect and communicate with people properly.

And it's a weird situation for her as she migth consider your a great friend and really didn't what to reject your advances and lose you as a friend?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144613 on: April 29, 2019, 06:16:10 pm »

The weird Big Brother-y irrational side of a certain forum I somewhat frequent is flaring up and banning people for thoughtcrimes again. In the words of today's youth, that's a yikes from me. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144614 on: April 29, 2019, 06:26:29 pm »

Here's the thing though, it was never really a rejection to begin with. Or I should say, I wasn't trying to "take things to the next level" with my message. What I was doing was informing her that I needed to spend some time away from her, because I couldn't be just a friend at this point in time, and I felt she deserved an explanation of why I'd be going quiet for the next while.

Like, I'm still technically in a relationship with someone else. Even if the feelings were mutual, I'm not capable of doing anything about it until I clear my own personal mess up, and I didn't know how long that was going to take. And it'd be wrong on several levels to confess feelings for someone and then ask them to "wait around" until you're done with your current obligations.

Furthermore, she just got out of a relationship that went deep south and then another love interest that just sort of sputtered and died. She's also going through a pretty heavy time with splitting her days between finishing a Bachelor's degree, a full-time job, a social life, and personal health issues that are firing off because of the stress. She's explicitly said that she doesn't want to deal with romance or relationships until after her studies and whatnot are finished. There was never any fling to be had here, the circumstances made that quite clear.

It's just that when I unexpectedly found out that she was boinking her roommate, I realized I wouldn't be able to handle the level of contact that I'd kept up with her until that point, because I was invested enough that it just hurt too much. And since she was forced to drop out of the concert trip in July, I no longer had to keep a brave face so as not to fuck with the trip. So I told her "I'm sorry, but I need to turn things down a few notches for a while because trying to keep them as they are now is going to be hurtful to me and dishonest to you". I knew that there weren't any options for a lovely future there, but I felt the need to tell her for the sake of doing the right thing.

And for that, there was no response or recognition.
Pages: 1 ... 9639 9640 [9641] 9642 9643 ... 11037